RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why lyman,why ??????

Boolit Buddy

Why lyman,why ??????

Why do i have to spend a days pay for one of your moulds and it doesn't put out the size of bullet it is said to???????????????
    I could be wrong,but shouldn't a 311-041,have a bigger nose taper than .297at the front of the crimp groove??????? I like something close to a .300 or .301?
    I don't feel like you should have to doctor up what you buy,to get it to where is was bought to be! Thats as if you bought a new car and the dealer says"Its a very good car,but you have to put the motor in it!We were in a hurry and forgot to!"
    Oh,i guess i'll get over it and just keep using my old Ideal and RCBS moulds!

Perma-Banned

Willy, check out the NOE molds. I will not buy the new lymans because I keep hearing the same thing. The NOE's are a little more money but they are so much nicer.

Plus NOE is a Vendor Sponsor here. Good folks,excellent moulds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
    Willy, check out the NOE molds. I will not buy the new lymans because I keep hearing the same thing. The NOE's are a little more money but they are so much nicer.

No, they're NOT more money. By the time you buy a new made Lyman turd and then replace it, buying an NOE puts you out front from the getgo.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Allen View Post
    Even if you spend a little more on an NOE, you wont have to spend the $5-10 + headache/heartache getgin it back to them for "repair". By then you're far ahead, so the NOE is CHEAPER (cost wise not quality) in my book.

Boolit Master

I too got tired of Lyman's too-skinny noses and undersized drive bands, like .308" on any mold starting with 311. I sent a couple back for lapping and they came back almost at .309" (tried several alloys too). Gee thanks.

No problem like that with Lee, RCBS or any group buy mold. Well I've had other problems with Lee but nothing undersized.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

Willy

What alloy are you using?

Larry Gibson

NOE mold's are NICE!

Boolit Buddy
    I agree 100%...buy an NOE or Accurate. I currently have a new Lyman mold at the repair center, and am still waiting to hear if it is going to be repaired or ??. As long as NOE and Accurate are in business, I will buy from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    No, they're NOT more money. By the time you buy a new made Lyman turd and then replace it, buying an NOE puts you out front from the getgo.
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Even if you spend a little more on an NOE, you wont have to spend the $5-10 + headache/heartache getgin it back to them for "repair". By then you're far ahead, so the NOE is CHEAPER (cost wise not quality) in my book.

Just imagine how many people, not caring the knowledge that is available here, would give up trying to get that bullet to shoot. Just plain unfair to send that to market.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Willyp View Post
    I could be wrong, but shouldn't a 311-041 have a bigger nose taper than .297 at the front of the crimp groove??????? I like something close to a .300 or .301?
    Do you get that diameter on a well-frosted wheel weight bullet?
    Do the driving bands measure .311"?
    When you press the gas check on, does it fall off?

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I have found that moulds from Accurate, Ace, and NOE fit my needs much better and produce better quality boolits than Lyman or RCBS, and lee has quickly wend by the way side, I have quite buying the mass produced moulds, I pay a bit more for the coustom moulds but you get what you pay for.

Boolit Master
    The good molds aren"t more when you consider the value.

Boolit Master

So much is said on this subject. There is certainly a lot I don't know about casting boolits. But I do know a couple of things. One of them is - When I'm casting boolits in my NOE mold, do I have to consider my alloy content in order to get correctly sized boolits ?? No. What about my MP molds - No. How about the LBT and the Accurate molds ?? No. That leaves me with only one conclusion....... Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

I have a few Lyman moulds that I'm quite fond of, they drop as advertised and are of good design. I also like NOE and RD moulds because some of my rifles like their boolits a little plump in all the right places.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Just imagine how many people, not caring the knowledge that is available here, would give up trying to get that bullet to shoot. Just plain unfair to send that to market.
    Probably the same kind that put regular gas in there high compression engine car and then complain the car is cr*p because it doesn't have the get and go it's supposed to. In other words a different alloy often means different size and weight bullets, especially if straight COWWs are used in Lyman moulds.........it isn't the moulds fault........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Larry,to answer you on what alloy are you using.
    I have tried a bunch of mixes,like WW and tin,WW and Lino, followed the Lyman recipe for No.2 mix,from their manuals and i can't remember what else. I've tried different temps and pouring methods,too. To use pure Lino is not what i would want to use! This may be the answer,but the bullet is needed for a hunting rifles,besides,lino is not that easy for me to come up with!

Maybe the new mold's are made in China?

Boolit Buddy
    The LASC website & Lyman's both state that different alloys will have a definitive impact on final bullet weight and diameter due to the inherent properties of the different metals once cooled. Also, the larger the diameter of the cast bullet, the greater the difference the final size will be with different alloys.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll go with NOE !

If I've got to blend a special bullet alloy so that I can take a Lyman mold and obtain usable bullets ....well, count me out on that.

Alloy is becoming more and more difficult to obtain. It is nice that the alloys that I have on hand right now with ALL of my NOE molds throw appropriate sized bullets in a wide variety of bullet diameters, 30 cal, 8 mm, and 35 cal. rifle and pistol.

NOE for me !

Ben