Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: red dot and the .300 blackout

Banned

I don't think i'll go quite that far.
    i'll bet some aa-2230 will get used though.

I just wanted something cheap and accurate at 50 yds so I could get the oldest girl some extra trigger time.
    I am pushing the rcbs silh boolit along with some data-9 powder to about 1350 fps and it is doing pretty darn well. [but I gotta gas check them, and they are made from 4/6/90 alloy]

I grabbed the LEE mold when I needed 10 more bucks on an order to get free shipping so it cost me like 0 dollars.
    I think i'll just finish shooting these up and go back to the rifle primers, and call it a success. [it's accurate @ 3/4"x 3/4" at 50 yds with them]
    I have another couple of molds [and some p/c boolits popper sent me] and powders to try before I get hung up on this rifles settled in loads.
    this 700-x load is gonna be hard to beat though, it costs me something like 3-4 cents a round. [depending on what the box of primers cost when I bought them]

I think next up is the p/c boolits and some 4100 or 1680 powder pushed along to about 1800 fps.
    then the 140gr ace mold I just started breaking in, pushing it as hard as I can.
    followed by a bevel based 165gr rnfp mold I have to get back to the slow end again.

dk-17hmr just clued me into another jacketed bullet he has used to hunt antelope with.
    that I can add in on top of the hornady 110 V-max and H-110 load at @ 2400 fps that I have used for varmints.

i'll wear this rifle out eventually at this rate, but it'll be fun getting there.
    Last edited by runfiverun; 09-22-2014 at 01:41 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Slower powder quieter?

Please explain..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
    Slower powder quieter?

Please explain..
    When it is so slow that it doesn't burn by the end of the barrel, it's quiet. Try any normal pistol and put a full case of .50BMG or 20mm powder in it. The worst that can happen is you'll get a bullet stuck in the barrel and have to knock it out -- no big deal.

Boolit Buddy
    Hmm. I kept using fast powders thinking they'd be (mostly) burned up by the time the bullet exits the barrel. My fast powder loads are quiter than factory ammo so I thought I was onto something.

Two things I can think of:

Where in the world do you get powder from a .50 or 20mm?

With a powder that slow & a tiny case like the blackout can you fit enough in there to get around 1050 fps?

I really don't want to get a stuck bullet in my barrel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
    Hmm. I kept using fast powders thinking they'd be (mostly) burned up by the time the bullet exits the barrel. My fast powder loads are quiter than factory ammo so I thought I was onto something.

Two things I can think of:

Where in the world do you get powder from a .50 or 20mm?

With a powder that slow & a tiny case like the blackout can you fit enough in there to get around 1050 fps?

I really don't want to get a stuck bullet in my barrel.
    There's a couple of places... I ordered mine from Jeff Bartlett...

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

I haven't tried it in the .300AAC yet. I tried it in a 10mm, just to see what would happen. Even with a compressed charge, there was not enough energy to cause it to eject the brass. It might be a bit better in a longer barrel, but I suspect that you would have to be pretty desperate before you resorted to it.

I've only had one bullet stuck in a barrel over the years and it was stuck close enough to the chamber that the next round would not load anyway.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 09-25-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Boolit Master

Me and my 300 Blk AR used a few mags full of LEE 155's tumble lubed with xlox and loaded over 15 grains of 2400 to turn a cantaloupe sized rock into a bunch of grape sized rocks from about 125 yards away. Action cycled great. Accuracy was definately there. No leading after 80 shots. ME LIKEY! Tried red dot and the 230 grain LEE boolit. Wouldn't cycle and shot like ****. Mold is gathering dust in the back of the casting bench now.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    Me and my 300 Blk AR used a few mags full of LEE 155's tumble lubed with xlox and loaded over 15 grains of 2400 to turn a cantaloupe sized rock into a bunch of grape sized rocks from about 125 yards away. Action cycled great. Accuracy was definately there. No leading after 80 shots. ME LIKEY! Tried red dot and the 230 grain LEE boolit. Wouldn't cycle and shot like ****. Mold is gathering dust in the back of the casting bench now.
    How many grains of Red Dot were you using?

I haven't tested the 230gr bullet for accuracy yet. I'm thinking of it as more of a home defense type of round, so short distances. Might try it for some hog hunting (maybe loaded in a .300 Win Mag in an Encore), but that's also short distances due to how thick the underbrush is around here.

Boolit Buddy
    I forgot to say: I was shooting MBC 245 cast at one point. I can't remember the exact charge of red dot but it was about the same as my Jword unique & bullseye loads. I know 6 grains of red dot will get heavy cast out the barrel. You can chrony from there.

Boolit Buddy
    Not to resurrect a zombie thread, but I'm having problems with getting a bunch of old style .308 bullets to group from my 1:7 twist 300 AAC barrel. My typical go to powder for the caliber is IMR 4227, but no matter what powder charge I put behind these, the accuracy isn't there.
    I'm wondering if red dot would give me a subsonic round that would maybe agree better with the weight of the bullet and the rifling? I'm thinking that kind of twist should stabilize the bullet at almost any speed, just have to see what it likes, and maybe I'll get lucky. If anyone has had luck with the red dot since this post went dead, let me know.
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Boolit Master

Has anyone tried IMR 4350 in their .300BLK? That is a slow powder that should work with a full case and maybe even a compressed loading.

Boolit Mold

Has anyone tried Herco with a 160 cast--sitting on a keg of it-use Herco in all of my revolvers 357mag-45 colt-44 mag with great results. Would like to try Herco in 300 blackout non-suppressed ar carbine. Any help would be appreciated

Boolit Master
    What length gas system are you using?

Boolit Mold

still learning to use the forum--i am using a carbine length gas system with an adjustable gas block

Banned

I don't see how Red Dot will ever cycle an AR. Unique can't do it. Floor is around 2400 and slower.
    4227 and #9 and Lil Gun will work
    Last edited by jmort; 01-15-2019 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Has anyone tried IMR 4350 in their .300BLK? That is a slow powder that should work with a full case and maybe even a compressed loading.
    Not quite that slow but I have tried and used pulled down CZ 54R powder (about like a slow 4895) in my AR with several different cast bullets they all did decent . Was a 20" barrel carbine gas system . I only tried it cuz everyone said it wouldn't work . Load was As much as I could possibly get inthe case and still seat the bullet .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    I used 4.5 grn of red dot in my Ruger ranch rifle in 300 blk(AR mag) under a 200frn spire point by NOE with a Nikon P300 2-7 I can hit my 6” plate as fast as I can cycle the action at 100

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I don't see how Red Dot will ever cycle an AR. Unique can't do it. Floor is around 2400 and slower.
    4227 and #9 and Lil Gun will work
    I've gotten consistent subsonic function with Power Pistol and (long-discontinued) AL-8, but that's with a specific combination of factors that includes: 200+ grain bullet, pistol gas system, suppressed. Change any of those factors and it short strokes.

I've never gotten Red Dot to work the gas system, but it's a pretty good choice for my single shot. Fast powders generate less gas volume and are pretty quiet when suppressed.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12