Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red dot and the .300 blackout

Boolit Master

red dot and the .300 blackout

has anybody experimented with red dot or any of the other faster shotgun or handgun powders?

Wouldn't cycle my AR (carbine tube) - could be good with bolt or single shot though
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

It should work great unless you are using it in a gas gun (AR-15) and want it to cycle. They need gas volume, the faster shotgun/handgun powders do not produce enough gas to cycle the actions.

No, but have used bullseye and unique in my bolt gun.

Boolit Master
    I've built an ar in 300 and am contemplating a single shot to use as an all around poof to boom rifle, so curiosity was peeked!

Actually I was at one point thinking about putting a gas cut off and changing to a side charging upper to make mine a selective - quiet single shot / repeater AR
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I've thought about doing that exact same thing Artful. Sure would make an AR a lot more versatile.

I've used 4.8gr of 231 in my bolt gun with a tumble lubed Lee 312-155-2R sans gas check. 1080 FPS and great accuracy.

You want to talk versatile - I loved this guy's set up

settings for Off, pistol port, small carbine port, large carbine port
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    Wasn't that Felix setup? I thought I remember him posting that picture.

Boolit Master

It has certainly been posted before, I remember it, don't remember who posted it.

Boolit Master

I just completed my .300 AAC pistol the other day. My first powder to try will be Red Dot since that is what is currently in my powder measure. I figure that since the bullet is 230 gr, I'll try the same powder load that I use for .45 ACP and go from there. I just need to get off my butt and make some .300 AAC brass from .223 brass. Been feeling a bit under the weather lately, so just don't have the motivation to do anything.

I've used Unique and Sierra 220 gr RN lightly tumble lubed with 45/45/10. 7.0 gr gave 1044 fps in a 10.5", and 844 fps in a 16" bolt action. Very quiet and decent SD's.

Boolit Buddy
    I've worked up a couple of loads with bullseye & unique.

6.0 grains of bullseye with a 220 grain SMK gets 1040 fps.

6.5 grains Unique with a 230 grain Berger gets 1040 fps also. This is my favorite load thus far.

Both out of my 16" bolt gun with can fitted.

I tried red dot too, but Unique seems to work better plus make less noise. To note: tbe red dot charge weights were about the same.

Boolit Master

After I got my dies, trimmer, and stuff about a month ago, I tried a couple of loads with Red Dot just to see what would happen. I tried 6.1gr and 6.9 gr with the 230gr Lee cast bullet. Neither would eject the brass. Pistol primers seemed flattened, rifle primers looked normal.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 09-19-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Banned

I have been running 3.5 grs of 700-x with the LEE 245 gr boolit tumble lubed and scuff sized in a 310 die.
    I dunno the speed but it's accurate, but not overly quiet.
    red-dot would be the same, I might try 3.0 grs [shrug]

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I have been running 3.5 grs of 700-x with the LEE 245 gr boolit tumble lubed and scuff sized in a 310 die.
    I dunno the speed but it's accurate, but not overly quiet.
    red-dot would be the same, I might try 3.0 grs [shrug]
    Considering how close 700-X and Red Dot are on the burn rate chart, I guess you are either not using it in an AR or you're just using it single shot in the AR, right?

Banned

bolt gun.
    I gave up on getting an upper for my ar's when the wife and kids just kept on claiming them whenever I bought one.

Boolit Master

bolt gun.
    I gave up on getting an upper for my ar's when the wife and kids just kept on claiming them whenever I bought one.
    There is at least one company making parts that will allow you to create a bolt action AR. Basically, it is an AR with a side charging handle and no gas system.

For the ultimate in ammo flexibility, I suspect a break-open single-shot would be it. You don't have to worry about excessive cartridge length, whether it will feed, and if you can probably find a load that will work with probably any powder that you come across.

Red Dot does not provide the gas necessary to cycle the action in an AR. I've tried up to 6.9 gr of Red Dot and no luck. I have to wonder if it would be possible to add a significantly slower powder to the Red Dot and it help with this though. Maybe try 5.9 gr of Red Dot an 1 gr of a .50BMG powder? I've tried case fulls of .50BMG powder in handguns before and although it will "go bang", it has very little recoil and will not cycle the action on a handgun. I haven't seen any of the .300AAC powders for sale lately, so I guess I'm curious enough to experiment a bit.

Banned

well a couple of grains of red dot under a case full of the 50 sure would get it going better.

the pistol primer idea didn't pan out with the 700-x loads, it was for sure a lot quieter but a 3/4" wide by 3" tall cluster of shot's isn't my idea of a group.

Boolit Master

well a couple of grains of red dot under a case full of the 50 sure would get it going better.

the pistol primer idea didn't pan out with the 700-x loads, it was for sure a lot quieter but a 3/4" wide by 3" tall cluster of shot's isn't my idea of a group.
    Some people get all bent out of shape when you start talking about using .50BMG or 20mm powder in a smaller caliber. They seem to think that it has some sort of magical energy density that is so much greater than other powders that you have to be careful. The fact is, they burn so slowly that you can usually put a full case and still not get the pressure or velocity that you can with more appropriate powders. When you start talking about duplex loads (i.e. a grain or so of fast powder under a case full of a very slow powder), it really causes those folks to get their panties in a wad. The fast powder is basically just acting as a larger primer for the very slow powder.

If you want a quiet load, try a case full of straight 20mm powder. The velocity's going to be a bit on the slow side though. It definitely was when I tried it with a 10mm Glock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast