Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: 40 caliber template

Boolit Bub

40 caliber template

I've been unable to find a 40 caliber paper patching template like the 45 caliber Tom Ballard that I have.
    Does anyone have the dimensions of a 40 template or know who makes them. Thanks.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I would think Buffalo Arms has the templates.

Boolit Grand Master

Buffalo Arms may have them or you can make your own fairly easily with simple hand tools. Cyt a strip of paper and wrap around your bullet 4 times with a sharp knife put a nick thru all layers on bottom edge. Now unwrap and lay flat on a board or flat surface with a square edge. Pencil mark first and third nick to highlight them. With a protractor set to desired angle Lay out the angles and cut. A piece of sheet metal, shim stock, or thin plexiglass cut to desired width of patch and rubber cement the paper template to it, cut along paper to make angles and file for perfect fit with your bullet and paper combo.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the reply. Buffalo Arms is out of the 40 caliber and no idea when they will be back in stock.

Boolit Grand Master

I would just make one then. simple and easy to do tools needed are just an exacto knife or razorblade, fine file 6-8" is great, tin snips or hacksaw, and a little time. You need toalso decide it you want to wrap dry or wet as wet paper will stretch a little making for a shorter patch length. If your going to be cutting alot of patches a rolling blade peper cutter can be set up to cut strips to a stop then the angled ends to a stop. I have one set up to do this. I glue 10 sheets of onion papers edges together, cut the strips ( glued edges keep them together) and set the strips to the side. I may do 3-4 stacks. Then tape a triangle down on the "table" and reset the stop bar for length. I then cut the patches. I can cut a bunch of patches very accurately and quickly like this. Another trick is once you decide on a width of patch make a guide that wide 10" long and use it to cut strips then the template only needs to cut ends to length and angle.

In Remembrance
    To find the length of a patch:

Method 1:
    Wrap a strip of your patching paper three times around the bullet ... tightly.
    Choose a location and cut through all three layers with a very sharp knife or razor blade.
    Unroll the paper strip and you will see the correct length between two of the cuts.

Method 2:
    Multiply the diameter of your bullet by 3.1416 (pi).
    Multiply that answer by 2.
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 08-14-2014 at 01:14 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

go get a fiskars paper cutter , way simpler
    lover of 74 sharps
    MYWEIGH scale merchant
    " i'll tell the story 10 different ways before I'll lie to you."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by powderburnerr View Post
    go get a fiskars paper cutter , way simpler
    I agree. I started with a template and quickly abandoned it for a paper cutter. I use two cutters now. One for cutting strips of the required width, and another ( guillotine style ) to cut the angles. It's much more efficient when you need a few hundred

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BPCS View Post
    I've been unable to find a 40 caliber paper patching template like the 45 caliber Tom Ballard that I have.
    Does anyone have the dimensions of a 40 template or know who makes them. Thanks.
    Take one of your 45 patches, wrap it on your 40 bullet, take note of the excess length, cut the patch there, and make your template from that, or mark it short on the bed of your paper cutter, and cut your patches.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you to all who have responded to my question. Lots of great ideas and information. I have the Fiskars paper cutter and will incorporate it along with the other procedures mentioned here. Great Forum and people!