RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Has anyone sighted in the Traditions Express O/U?

Has anyone sighted in the Traditions Express O/U?

I'm wondering how much adjustment is in the upper barrel?

I bought one used and when it showed up, the upper barrel was cranked all the way up and left. It's going to be a few weeks until I can get it to the range..... I'm nervous that the PO couldn't find enough adjustment.

Anyone here have any experience with one?

Perm-Banned
    i looked up your gun on the internet and that is quite a gun. you should consider reading the sticky on paperpatching a bullet for that gun. also on ramshot.com in the blog section their is good information on paperpatching a bullet for that gun. between the two how to articles you could make that a great hunter and tackdriver. sorry dont know anything about the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    i looked up your gun on the internet and that is quite a gun. you should consider reading the sticky on paperpatching a bullet for that gun. also on ramshot.com in the blog section their is good information on paperpatching a bullet for that gun. between the two how to articles you could make that a great hunter and tackdriver. sorry dont know anything about the sights.
    Thanks for the reply, after a short search I'm interested in the advantages of paper patching over a modern sabot.

The sighting process of the Express is different to say the least.
    Instructions say to sight in the lower barrel to the scope and then adjust the set screws in the upper barrel to match the same POI.

Not much written on this rifle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by Aaron871; 08-17-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Fascinating piece you have there.

Instructions say to sight in the lower barrel to the scope and then adjust the set screws in the upper barrel to match the same POI.
    Seems pretty straight forward. So rather than charge thousands of dollars for a gun that's been regulated to POA for both barrels with some specific load, they made one barrel adjustable. Kinda neat if the adjustable barrel holds position. The only unknown then would be the right load or loads-- the ones that will shoot accurately in both barrels. That will take some experimentation. What is the caliber and twist?

I'm nervous that the PO couldn't find enough adjustment.
    I wouldn't worry about that until you've tried it. The PO MAY not have known what he was doing. For one thing, the chosen load for the fixed barrel will determine the eventual position for the adj. barrel, so you have some leeway there-- If you should also run out of adjustment, look for a load for the fixed barrel that shoots closer to where the adj. barrel "wants to shoot. This MAY result in different loads for the two barrels, but let's not get ahead of things here.

A fast, light ball will usually tend to come out at a lower launch angle than a slower, heavier projectile. Some loads will shoot more to the right or more left, etc. Stuff like that. Again; experiment.

Also make sure the two muzzles are in good condition. Re-crown them if they aren't.

Perm-Banned
    i see on the internet they are a 1/28 twist. that means for a paperpatched bullet it should weigh about 530 grains to 550 grains. idaho ron/s sticky plus the paperpatching article on ramshot.com will give you all the info you need to get going in paperpatching.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnivore View Post
    Fascinating piece you have there.

Seems pretty straight forward. So rather than charge thousands of dollars for a gun that's been regulated to POA for both barrels with some specific load, they made one barrel adjustable. Kinda neat if the adjustable barrel holds position. The only unknown then would be the right load or loads-- the ones that will shoot accurately in both barrels. That will take some experimentation. What is the caliber and twist?

I wouldn't worry about that until you've tried it. The PO MAY not have known what he was doing. For one thing, the chosen load for the fixed barrel will determine the eventual position for the adj. barrel, so you have some leeway there-- If you should also run out of adjustment, look for a load for the fixed barrel that shoots closer to where the adj. barrel "wants to shoot. This MAY result in different loads for the two barrels, but let's not get ahead of things here.

A fast, light ball will usually tend to come out at a lower launch angle than a slower, heavier projectile. Some loads will shoot more to the right or more left, etc. Stuff like that. Again; experiment.

Also make sure the two muzzles are in good condition. Re-crown them if they aren't.
    .50 cal
    24" barrel
    1:28 twist

Agreed, I need to get it to the range and see what happens.

I see on the internet they are a 1/28 twist. that means for a paperpatched bullet it should weigh about 530 grains to 550 grains. idaho ron/s sticky plus the paperpatching article on ramshot.com will give you all the info you need to get going in paperpatching.

I understand that twist rate dictates boolit grain, but I'm not fluent in the calculations. Could you direct me to a chart or calculator? I have several other .50's with 1:28 that like a 265 grain Barnes Spit Fire very well, but I'm a noobie at developing loads. I would like to shoot 400 grains or larger with this rifle, I purchased it specifically for bear hunting.

What is the advantage to paper patching over a plastic sabot? I cast and size for my cap and ball pistol, but this is my first look into paper patching... Interesting stuff.
    Last edited by Aaron871; 08-17-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Perm-Banned
    ok ill try to answer your questions. first of all the 265 barns spit fire is probably a .45 cal bullet in a sabot. with the green hill formula you would have to use the 1/28 twist in .45 cal to figure the size of the bullet. that would mean a bullet of less grains that a .50 bullet. the 265 barns bullet is probably on the light side in a sabot to shoot well. if it does their is nothing wrong with useing a sabot and that bullet to hunt with. however if you want to shoot that gun more than just hunting it cost way too much or your loaded with cash. now once you have a .50 cal bullet mould and a resizer to get the bullets to the right size to be paperpatched it is very reasonable to shoot for fun and hunting. also your 265 barns bullet up against a 535 to 550 grain bullet on bear, their is no comparision. also the ease of loading a paperpatch bullet is way easier than a sabot. both are very accurate. your .50 cal muzzle loader with 80 to 100 grains of blackpowder behind a 535 to 550 grain .50 cal bullet is in the same class as a 50/90 sharps black powder cartridge rifle. your barrel length may seem short to some but it isnt. i have a muzzle loader in .44 cal with a 24 inch barrel and it shoots a 335 grain paperpatched bullet and has taken six deer. testing it on a chronograph it gets the same feet per second comming out of the muzzle as a similar gun i have with a 30 inch barrel. i read some where else recently that a so call muzzle loader authority said people over estimate the power of a .50 cal muzzle loader. well he knew nothing of paperpatch and was talking about sabout and .45 cal bullets in them. again you are in the same class or even more powerful than a 50/90 sharps, and that is a big game gun. if you would like and it would be very interesting for you, go back over all of idaho rons posts. they will show you what a paperpatch heavier bullet can do. he has a lot of pictures plus good information for you to read. paperpatching isnt rocket science. more are doing it every day. a fast twist muzzle loader what you have is very easy to patch for. ron and i have encouraged several shooters to go that route and they are now doing nothing else. also with a scope on your gun very long distance shooting for fun is not ruled out. also go to the internet and punch in the green hill formula and learn to figure a bullets length related to the cal. and twist of a gun. i use the green hill all the time and it has never failed me. dont loose interest in your fine gun. you will be surprised what you can do with it.

Boolit Master
    Cool looking gun. How is the lower barrel attached to that adjusting band? If you needed more adjustment, could you turn it on the lower band in the direction you need more room?

Boolit Master
    my word, you have all kinds of adjustment on that rig. With the bottom barrel you can increase or decrease powder to move poa and the after adjusting the top barrel you can adjust powder for more. That gun looks interesting!
    Look twice, shoot once.

My hunting partner and I have a personal range at home, but I'm stuck in DC and couldn't wait another week to experience the rifle.

I went to to a very crowded public range, it was free but I had to use their ammo and targets.

Started with 300 grain TC sabots and two 50/50 Pyrodex pellets.

Zeroed the lower barrel at 25 yards and tuned the second one to match. The upper barrel is now in the center of the adjustment sleeve (shew).

Then I set targets at 50 and 100...... Before I loaded for the second hot range, I decided to leave. The assclown locals were just too much for me to take. I'm left handed, the guy to my right is steadily bumping into me as the guy sharing the bench with me rapid fires his AR sending spent brass right in my face....lol

It's a very comfortable rifle and I really enjoyed the Leupold Ultimateslam S.A.B.R. The adjustment in the upper barrel was surprisingly easy to deal with. The triggers both need some serious work.... But overall, I was very pleased with the rifle and can't wait to spend more time with it. May become one of my favorites, I think she needs a name.

Next stop: The Paper Patching Forum

Perm-Banned
    i feel sorry for any one who cant walk out on his deck and use the deck railing for a rest and shoot all they want. i couldnt shoot at a range that you discribed. if any one is passing through my area, stop by. we will shoot as much as you want and no one will bother us, except our two tom cats.

i feel sorry for any one who cant walk out on his deck and use the deck railing for a rest and shoot all they want. i couldnt shoot at a range that you discribed. if any one is passing through my area, stop by. we will shoot as much as you want and no one will bother us, except our two tom cats.
    I live in paradise, God's country as I believe he intended it to be. I choose to work in the large city's where human population has become a cancerous tumor on the face of the world. I dream of a day when I have enough stashed away that I don't ever have to come off of that mountain.

Its everything I need, and nothing more.

(Wow!!! I sound like I need professional help....lol)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Perm-Banned
    i have two cousins in D.C. they got very rich their. one has a lawoffice 2 blocks from the white house. good place to make your money then like you go to your cabin. thanks for sareing the pictures.

Boolit Buddy
    bumping this back up.

anyone else have one of these?
    im thinking of getting one.

or if i donet get one of these, i will build a O/U of my own.
    hello.