Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Alliant Black MZ

Alliant Black MZ

With genuine black powder getting harder to obtain in this part of the world, my local dealer has new stocks of Alliant Black MZ. Has anyone used this powder. There doesn't appear to have a grading stated (1F, 3F etc.)

Tell me more please is it for just MZ's or cartridge guns?

Thanks in advance
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

It is an ascorbic acid based powder, granules are close to a 2F. When burnt it creates a white ash in the cartridge and breech, bore. Alliant suggests clean up with soap and water. There is no fouling in the bore. I have only used it in cartridges. Apparently in MZ it likes lots of compression, so I presume this is the same in cartridges. I have only had one trip to the range with it so far so not much information about velocity, repeatability.

I did email Alliant with the cleaning question - Bore Solvent or Soap and Water, they replied soap and water. In addition I enquired if they had any pressure trace data compared to true BP. They sent a bland reply "These loads meet the industry standards for this cartridge. Black MZ is the equivalent of FFg black powder."

A question I have for others that have used it in cartridges, is what would you suggest in the situation of using a PP bullet over Black MZ? I don't really need the standard BP lube disc under the bullet to keep fouling soft as there really isn't any with BlackMZ.
    I have read of some people painting/dipping the PP bullet in Lee Alox or 45/45/10. Or should I just continue the powder/overpowder card/lube biscuit/overlube card/PP bullet I have been doing?

Here is an interesting study of these powders:
    With a High Performance Liquid Chromatography representation of American Pioneer (apparetnly BlackMZ is re-labelled American Pioneer):
    Last edited by sthwestvictoria; 08-13-2014 at 07:30 AM.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Mold
    Hey BAW, my father and I have both been using it in muzzle loaders for the last year or so when we can get stock from some of the brisbane dealers. It's a lot cleaner than black, 50th round goes down the barrel just as easy as the 1st of the day. Have also used it in the 45/70s when we've run out of black. Seems to have a little sharper push to the recoil with it and from memory POI about 4-5 inches higher at 100m in my highwall using 60gr of MZ compared to 70gr of 2f Wano.
    Last edited by Dude From Oz; 08-14-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Hmmm, with the chlorates and perchlorates in it, it should be fairly corrosive. Better keep those guns clean!

-Nobade

Thanks for the replies! Powder supply is rather fickle up in the South Burnett and I was thinking of using it in my Pietta .44 Army. Swiss is now so rare and expensive, I'm saving that for my BPCR silly-wet matches!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!