Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: First cast and first PC all loaded up.

Boolit Buddy

First cast and first PC all loaded up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140812_181233_163.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	113355

They LOOK good, but next I need to see how they shoot.
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Boolit Grand Master

Yes they look good! 7.62x54r?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Yes they look good! 7.62x54r?
    Looks like. I think there was a previous post about this load. Waiting for range report

My favorite color!

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, 7.62x54R, they've got just 15 grains of IMR 4227 behind them. That setup has been good with some that were cast for me, but these will be the first of my own I get to try.
    This 91/30 has a barrel that slugged at .314, and the finished rounds here have bullets that measure .315 with the PC on them.
    With any luck, I'll get to test them tomorrow morning, but not certain on that yet.
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Boolit Master

Is that the Lee 312-185 mold? I use it for 1-2" 50 yard groups with iron sights. My bore also slugs .313" and the PC helps fatten the boolit up just right.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, that's the 312-185. T
    he guy who's mentoring me initially gave me 30 bullets from a Lyman mold; they measured .314 and weighed 176 grains, and I can get MOA, or close to it, at 100 yards with 15 grains of IMR 4227. That's with a Tasco red dot sight, which I'm surprised holds up to any recoil.
    Whether or not these rounds get near that is what I'm hoping for; I can tell you they chamber just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140815_081316_662.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	113666

Well, they shoot. This is just 25 yards, so I have work to do with working up a load yet. I'll be adding gas checks as well to see if I can get some good accuracy out of them, and I actually have yet to size these (sizing die is on the way).
    So, I expect to get better as I work up a load for these boolits.

Boolit Master

Guessing they drop close to .312" from the mold which is likely too small for a mosin. The PC helps fatten it up but no telling how much until you size them. Any idea what the velocity is? If its much over 1100 fps you will want gas checks. Good start

Boolit Buddy
    They measure out at .312 from the mold, then about .315 once the PC is applied. .315 is actually fine, but they may not be perfectly round, either.
    The powder behind them for this was just 15 grains of IMR4227, which is likely subsonic, but I will be increasing that, so gas checks will be in order.

Boolit Master

Sounds good. I have only tried 2400 powder. My best accuracy is at 15gr about 1500 fps and 1-1.5" at 50 yards. Curious to hear how the 4227 works