WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson 357 buy?

Dan Wesson 357 buy?

Well, I have set up a deal to buy or at least look at a DW 357 tomorrow after work. Found it on a local trading site and the price seems good. Picture is so poor that I can't tell anything about the condition or which factory the revo came from. Have several S&Ws, but none in 357. Owner says he has fired less than 50 rnds thru it, but he got it used. He doesn't know the model, but I am hoping it turns out to be a Monson 15-2. I understand those are the most desirable. Are there any DW 357 models to stay away from? Owner wants $350, but if there is any finish wear or looseness I will try for less. Does that sound like a good deal assuming it is a tight, clean revolver? Looking at mold choices, it seems that most 357 molds are plain base. I do want to make magnum level loads, but have no interest in pushing the envelope. I may just start out with a Lee six cavity TL mold, but am open to suggestions. Come to think of it, I have a Lee 6cav 358/125TC mold that I use for 9x19 with a bunch on hand sized .358. Maybe those would work for starters, but I may be happier with something in the 158gr range. I do fine with the TL molds in .45 and 9x19, but have never loaded for 357. Might a plain base mold be OK to start with? I know that I need to measure the throats to be sure what it needs. As for powders, I have 2400, 296, and that new alliant M300 to choose from for now. I am kinda excited about getting my first 357 revolver. A little embarrassing that I have never owned one. any suggestions would be appreciated.

DanM
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Master
    Check to make sure the shroud is centered on the frame, I have seen some that aren't, and you will have to crank the sights way over to zero. Make sure the chambers are smooth. I looked at a mint one a fellow at work had. He said he could only shoot .38's in it as .357's needed a hammer to eject. The chambers were VERY roughly machined and gripped the higher pressure magnum cases firmly. Other than that, the normal gun stuff, crown, timing etc. The price is more than fair in todays market.

Boolit Master
    I agree with dubber123 the price is good if the condition is ok. See if you can find any on gunbroker to compair price wise. I have seen some DW's with very high price tags and these were not top end guns.

As far as casting goes you may be able to shoot low end magnum loads with boolits in the 18bhn range. I have some Penn 210gr "hard cast" for my 41 mag and they shoot very good with low end magnum loads using W-296 and they are 18bhn. They are actully too hard to shoot with lite loads, I have tried.

I use a 158gr Lee non TL mold for 38/357 but never tried to go magnum velocity with it. I have shot these as low as 8bhn from my 4 1/2 Blackhawk in .357 brass with no problem. I use A-lox on them too even though they are non TL. I just do them twice.

Motor

Boolit Master

I bought one of the original Dan Wesson 357 models many years ago. Had a short barrel, can't remember exact length, but somewhere around 2-3 inches and had a 6 inch, which I used the most. It was very accurate and reliable, but lacked the S&W look that I gravitated towards. I eventually sold it and bought a Model 57 S&W with the 8 3/8" barrel. Loved it for many more years. Finally got hooked on single actions and sold it also.

None the less, the Dan Wesson that I had was a solid, accurate revolver.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    There is a firm that is making barrels and other components for the Dan Wesson revolvers. They even have a fiber optic front sight insert. If you take the side plate off be sure to observe how the parts fit together and perhaps have an extra spring available before you take it apart. CZ is again making the revolvers and if I recall correctly they are about $1000+. While I have not seen the current production CZ typically makes a fine product. If the pistol is in good shape and is right then $350 is very reasonable. You do realize that the barrel is inter changeable with other barrels and the barrels came in different configurations for each length. As I recall the varieties were the standard barrel, the vent rib barrel and the heavy barrel with vent rib. Actually the barrels were the same but the shrouds were different. You will also want a barrel wrench which you can get from the firm making parts and drop some Kroil into the area where the barrel is screwed in at the muzzle. Sometimes they freeze if they have not been taken care of. Kroil and a bit of time between repeated applications would probably work for you. The gap between the barrel and the cylinder is .006mm. You can buy a Dan Wesson measuring tool from eBay for perhaps $20 or $30 or just buy a feeler gauge from eBay for about $5. Overall a very nice trigger and an accurate revolver that is under appreciated. Different grips may also still be had from the above mentioned supplier. If you can't find their name PM me and I'll try to find them in my files. If the gun is nice it will serve you nicely.

Boolit Master
    Should also mention that back when the barrels came in 2 inch, 4 inch, 6 inch and 8 inch lengths. The firm I mentioned may also be making much much longer barrels currently. If one hunts then a very long barrel with this revolver presents interesting opportunities. I really don't have any use for a Dan Wesson 357, but if I saw a nice one for $350 it would be very tempting.

Try this link: http://www.danwessonforum.com/faqs/w...i-order-parts/

Boolit Master
    and so I looked again at EKW Arms web site and put myself on their list to notify when muzzle brakes again are in stock. If I had the money to splurge the 15 inch barrel assembly looks like a lot of fun.

Boolit Master
    and this might help along with other info on the forum: http://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/...n-is-any-good/

My feeling is that it is a better and more adaptable choice than a prelock S&W, but most will consider that heresy. If you have the money and the use for it and it is in good shape it will serve you nicely. Yes I also understand quality varied over the years, but have no experience to speak to that. What length and style of barrel does it come with?

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 15 pork chop model. Most of the accessories are made for the 15-2 which has the bbl shroud ending flush with the frame not hanging down an inch or so. All I have seen are shooters.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

The heavy vent 8" barrel is....Heavy. The 6" in heavy vent is about all you want to carry around.

Boolit Master

I have bought and sold a lot of guns and my Dan Wesson is one that's never been considered to move down the road. High quality. Incredible shooter. Interchangeable barrels/shrouds. $350 is a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have a 15 pork chop model. Most of the accessories are made for the 15-2 which has the bbl shroud ending flush with the frame not hanging down an inch or so. All I have seen are shooters.
    these old things
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    There is a firm that is making barrels and other components for the Dan Wesson revolvers. ...
    http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/

I phoned the owner late yesterday and asked him to look more closely for a model number. The only thing he found was 'CT8' which I think is a misread of 'CTG'. He did find the Monson marking and nothing else. Where will I find the model number on this DW revolver? The barrel length is 4". My S&Ws are 6" and 8 3/8", so this will be a change. I would copy and post his picture from the trader site, but it is so dark and fuzzy it wouldn't tell us much. Thanks for the helpful posts....DanM
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Long years ago, I had one of the first DWs with the bbl nut exposed out on the end of the shroud. It was a 4 inch and had a round butt grip, I believed called the Sacramento. I shot a fair number of cast loads through it. It seemed a heavy and unwieldy gun compared to similar S & W models. Was accurate enough, but it got out of time sooner than it should have and started spitting lead. I did not care much for it so when the SBE first came out, I made it part of the trade. I would not buy another early model DW.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Master

I had a model 14 4" 357 that I enjoyed, was my first revolver. Other than the fixed sights it was the same as a model 15. I purchased it for self defense, would even take model 15 barrels and shrouds, I did have a 6" VH barrel from a 15 for it.

Moderator Emeritus

IMO, the biggest con to a DW is if you train a lot with a Smith or Ruger. The cylinder latch is not tricky but is in a different position that may cost you seconds in a hot reload.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Daw wessons are one of the easiest pistols out there to tune to a specific ammo. Their tensioned bbl's are adjustable with the amount of torque applied to the bbl nut. And the cylinder gap is adjustable on the other end of the bbl allowing the user the ability to find the sweet spot for a specific ammo/load.

A couple of dan wessons I use for beating & banging on steel and bowling pins. The ekw heavy shrouds & muzzle breaks are the cat's meow because these revolvers get a steady diet of 158g hp's & full house loads of power pistol. The different bbl lengths along with the different bbl shrouds are easy enough to find.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bought this one for $400 haven't gotten around to putting a scope on it yet.

[IMG][/IMG]

You will end up with allot of pistol for $350.

Boolit Mold
    I recently bought a Dan Wesson 357 made in Palmer MA. I have read that they only made them for two years there and that the fixed barrel adjustable sight models are pretty rare. Does any one know anything about them? I owned another DW 357 back in the early 80's. Very nice gun, well balanced, good shooter. I didn't really know anything about the company at the time, but now that I have read up on them somewhat, I assume that gun was made in Monson MA. I have not shot my Pallmer MA gun yet, but it looks good. If anyone knows anything about these guns, value, etc. I would appreciate a reply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast