Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my 1st Enfield

Boolit Master
    Whats funny is I found the No.4 not as ''built'' as the SMLE,dunno how to explain it but shooting both side by side the SMLE feels better in my arms,will never let my No.4 go but the SMLE is what I'd go to war with.I'll be shooting my SMLE,No.4 and unissued SMLE sporter tomorrow,got a bit of 100-200 load development and doping in organised,should be fun. Pat

On Heaven's Range

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    Whats funny is ........" Pat
    Funny, is right.

We are of diametrically-different opinions! I never could cosy-up to a MkIII, but the #4 feels like the handshake of a long-lost friend.

Also, the SMLE to ME is butt-ugly, while the #4 is sleek and svelte (again, to MY eye).

What do they say about "different strokes"?

Of course, I started with the #4 at age 14, and I'm into my seventies now, so I suppose I'm habituated (if not crotchety and set in my ways).

Anyway, there's no argument about the pure effectiveness of the rifles and their cartridge. I never had to use it on a polar bear, but other bears, moose and caribou all perished cleanly when the .303 spoke. The same is true of probably every other species that inhabits the planet as well.

I once bought a #1 Mk III at the Hudson's Bay Company post in Yellowknife NWT. It had been "converted" by Parker-Hale (removing the handguards and rounding the fore-end tip..... some "conversion"!). It cost me the grand sum of $9.99, and I figured that was the best and cheapest life insurance I would EVER see. The rifle served me for years as the anti-bear rifle in exploration camps from Yukon Territory to Greenland.

Love Life is in for some enjoyable time with his "new" rifle. I wish I was starting all over again, too.
    Last edited by BruceB; 08-15-2014 at 06:24 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

I find the SMLE butt ugly too. I don't have one in full military dress and I do want one, preferably one that's been through the wars, just for its history appeal. I rather like the original MLE too. But the No4 trumps all.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

OK guys I couldn't let you get that far out in front of me,,, so today I purchased a Mk4#1 that had been sporterized. I had been eyeballing the gun for several weeks at a LGS that always seems to have an unusual number of cool older guns. They had three Enfield Sporters.

It is all there save the hand guard and the front portion of the stock, and they had removed the ladder portion of the flip flop rear sight which I will replace as soon as I find one.

This gun is not a beauty, however it can be made into one with some careful metal work and a stock refinish after some creative wood work. It will be a good cast boolit shooter as the barrel is in good shape, not perfect, but entirely serviceable for the intended purpose.

Now for a set of dies and some brass. I already have a 314299 mould, and hopefully it will fill the grooves.

I am in CA so I have to wait 10 days to pick it up.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Interesting comment about the Mk III.....
    truth be told I shoot my MkIII better than I do my Mk4...the balance suits be better
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I ordered some ammo, and now I need some matchkings. I don't think I'll see those any time soon though.
    Dick,
    I've got Match Kings (174) and a sortiment of other jacketed bullets. Also got some 314299s, sized .314 and lubed with CR. Be happy to send you some for load testing. Send me a PM, only got your old NV address.
    Last edited by Bjornb; 08-15-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Love Life
    Thank you BjornB!!!

W.R. Buchanan-Copy cat!

I want to get a couple more as the pawn shops I have been frequenting have had very decent prices and Larry's pistol and Pawn isn't that far away either. There is a Ishapore 308 sitting at a pawn shop as I type this...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Interesting comment about the Mk III.....
    truth be told I shoot my MkIII better than I do my Mk4...the balance suits be better
    Rifles are funny that way,their more like women than firearms,some without doubt have personalities,wouldn't have it any other way either. Pat

I was waiting for you to show up with a CZ82!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    my first enfield was a well bubbaed long branch. got my first deer with it. picked up a nice all matching no.4 a no4t joined that one. then a matching 1915 bsa came home on day and a Lithgow joind the bunch. then a savage no4 and a no5 carbine got in the pile. the last 2 to join the british corner was a l.s.a. and an indian in .308

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I was waiting for you to show up with a CZ82!

Randy
    Me? Not as long as the store with the CZ has decent priced Colts in the case...

There is a Ishapore 308 sitting at a pawn shop as I type this...
    Why is it still there? Get it quick!

Something to share, if you ever find the need to remove the rear sight (like when a scope is mounted) then the cross pin ears have a very handy use. Slip a right fitting split in through them with a ring in the eye. Flare the ends a little (not much sticks through) and you have a handy carry cord anchor point for hands free carry. I have a problem with my right elbow which makes hand carry painful so I fitted a shock cord with clip which attaches to a ring on my back pack strap. It's in the ready position, muzzle down like that and slipping the clip of is a smooth movement and is actually not even necessary.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Why is it still there? Get it quick!

Something to share, if you ever find the need to remove the rear sight (like when a scope is mounted) then the cross pin ears have a very handy use. Slip a right fitting split in through them with a ring in the eye. Flare the ends a little (not much sticks through) and you have a handy carry cord anchor point for hands free carry. I have a problem with my right elbow which makes hand carry painful so I fitted a shock cord with clip which attaches to a ring on my back pack strap. It's in the ready position, muzzle down like that and slipping the clip of is a smooth movement and is actually not even necessary.
    The magazine is missing and the man wouldn't come down on the price....

What is the general consensus on best brass to use? None of the big outfits have any, anyway and Hornaday is at $51.50/ 50 ea. or a dollar a piece. Really don't want to invest $200 in brass for 200 rounds especially when the gun only cost me $200 to begin with.

I have heard that Remington Brass only lasts a few shots, Although that was probably with Jacketed loads not Cast. Haven't heard or read anything good about Winchester brass either. Everybody says the Hornaday Brass is the best, and at a $ a pop it should be.

Is milsurp brass available and is it any good? Where would someone look for such a thing in the US? or do all you British Subjects hoard all the stuff down under?

Got to get started on this project. Dies are only two days away.

Randy

Love Life
    I'm going to use PRVI brass because it comes with powder, bullet, an primer...

From what I understand, neck sizing is the way to go for longer brass life due to the way the rifle/case head space.

PRVI brass is the way to go. Try not to size the necks if possible or size minimally. Annealing is a must if sizing must be done. For cast it might be OK to fully anneal (which is easier). That allows for a little neck tension without compressing the boolit. I've had good accuracy doing this with jacketed's.

LL you can get magazines for Enfield 2A .308
    http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...5/product.html
    ProMag Enfield 2A 10-round Rifle Magazine

Rating 3.7 | 3 reviews | Write a review

Today $27.99

Item #: 13064337
    • This ProMag Enfield 2A Magazine holds ten rounds of .308 cal. ammunition.
      The magazine is made of high carbon heat-treated blue steel
    • Steel is tig welded for strength
    • Spring is precision wound using heat-treated music wire
    • Base and follower are injection molded from polymers selected for their durability
    • 10 rounds
    • Caliber: .308 cal.
    • Blue steel
    • Dimensions: 3.38 inches long x 3.25 inches wide x 1 inch high

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Oh, and Stripper clips for your MAD Minute attempts
    http://www.ima-usa.com/british-enfie...set-of-20.html

You going to run cast thru this one? Have you slugged your bore?
    Last edited by Artful; 08-16-2014 at 10:22 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    PRVI for me,just need to fing someone who sells it. Pat

On Heaven's Range

[QUOTE=W.R.Buchanan;2895382]What is the general consensus on best brass to use? QUOTE

Under today's conditions, ANY Boxer-primed .303 brass is worth using. We really don't have the luxury of shopping-around as we did in times past. If you find some Boxer-primed brass, GRAB IT.

Some Boxer-type military brass is very good, too. HXP from Greece and IVI from Canada are both high-quality cases and seem to last well in my experience.

This opinion is based on the premise that we will NECK-size our .303 cases , and thus minimize the head-separation problems that full-length sizing creates.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast