RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Made Gas Checks... Lets See Them

Home Made Gas Checks... Lets See Them

Okay so I don't make my own checks YET; however, I do have a lot of respect for those of you that do.

So the point of this thread will be to see some photos of what you have done. Post a picture, description of material used, which tool you used to make them, etc.

I am hoping that this will be useful to curious ones like myself by condensing information with visual aide.

Thanks,

Aaron
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Banned
    My check maker is in country...I will post my first checks I make. All I have now for material is some auto body repair aluminum.

Boolit Master

Making your own checkmaker is pretty easy. Fancy steel or hardening isn't needed for a home production setup. Hardware store aluminum flashing works great. Lots of folks have built checkmakers. Here's my version:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...gas-checkmaker

good luck

Boolit Grand Master

Yonky's aluminium w/ a Freechex III.

Banned
    Chucked up, ready to make the Chequemaker Canadian Edition

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cdngunner View Post
    My check maker arrived this morning. First thing I am going to do is hop on my lathe and make one of the above mentioned check makers.....if it works out look for an unused pat marlins check maker for sale.

What caliber is it? Not that it matters, I'd buy it so we don't have to listen to you whine anymore.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
    What caliber is it? Not that it matters, I'd buy it so we don't have to listen to you whine anymore.
    Alrighty....no more whining and you dont even have to buy one

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cdngunner View Post
    Alrighty....no more whining and you dont even have to buy one
    Thank you

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Dragon that's a nice set up I surely like the way those turned out.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Idz thanks for the link, was unable however to download the PDF??? Probably just technologically inept

Banned
    Alright Jr.

Here are my first 50 .30 gas checks. Since I have never bought or made checks before I will let the others tell you whether this is standard fare or not. The material used was aluminum I found in the auto repair section of my local hardware store which was about .0135. The edges are clean with just a very light burr when I punch them, the edges become like that when I actually form the check

I am waiting for my Canadian sourced Amerimax 68106, which I should get by Wednesday. I will post another pic then.

Last edited by cdngunner; 08-17-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Master

The ratty edge can be reduced by reducing the height of the check, i.e. the diameter of the preformed disk. Remember you're trying to squish an annulus of aluminum into a cylinder. In the extreme of making percussion caps a toothed punch is used to fold up the material.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    The ratty edge can be reduced by reducing the height of the check, i.e. the diameter of the preformed disk. Remember you're trying to squish an annulus of aluminum into a cylinder. In the extreme of making percussion caps a toothed punch is used to fold up the material.
    Are they still usable as is?

I am having the same results. See post in home made check maker Thread. Having a small moment and posted there by mistake. GP

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    I am having the same results. See post in home made check maker Thread. Having a small moment and posted there by mistake. GP
    Keeping in mind what Idz said, I am hoping that the Amerimax is a little more forgiving. It is after all the suggest material to use with the checkmaker.

I think i will read up on annealing the aluminum and see where that takes me. I am hopefully going to cast some bullets this week and see how the checks fit and hold.....then test fire to see accuracy.

Banned
    Alright, using prescribed Amerimax flashing....i think they are a little bit better. The punch definitely works harder to punch them out. I think a good portion of the edge distortion is caused by the burr left from punching.

Took some to the range today on some .308 boolits and despite their somewhat ratty look they shot pretty well Hornady copper and home made aluminum checks. Five shot groups at sixty paces. Hornady checks 1 1\4 inch home made 2 inch and 1 1\8 inch groups all in all not bad as Im just a plinker not a bench shooter. I cant say the home made checks cost me any accuracy. Im thinking with a little tinkering I can get them to look a little better. Help me out with your best ideas Guys. Thanks GP

Banned
    What I have just done is that I put the disc in with the burr side down, it seems to make a difference. I will be working on my own check maker...we will see how that turns out.

Do you have burrs on your discs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast