Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Oh boy did I make a mistake

Boolit Grand Master

Oh boy did I make a mistake

deleted
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 02-25-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I assume, as a 'roaster pepper' one is supposed to roast the skin off before using? Or use to stuff and roast? Not one I've come across myself.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I was playing with peppers last night too and then went to the bathroom...yep!

Even this morning after much hand washing, a shower and time sleeping in bed last night, I rubbed my eyes...yep!

I'm about to eat some for lunch, so we'll see how that goes...a glutton for punishment I am.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Grand Master

I made that mistake a time or two, now I keep a box of thin disposable rubber gloves for cleaning peppers, when done peel the gloves off and into the trash. Saves a lot of grief. Everybody and their brother likes hot pepper jelly but no ones ever around to help me make it.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
    I was playing with peppers last night too and then went to the bathroom...yep!.
    Done that before. Never again!
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master
    Poured a bottle of Blairs MegaDeath sauce into a bowl with a huge can of peanuts, stirred it up and baked it till dry. I got a lot of mixed reactions from folks at work. I did make a mistake at one point and rubbed my eye after handling some, and infused the heat into my contact lens. Oh boy! Glad I didn't pull the bathroom goof!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    So I decided to grow Italian Roaster peppers this year. I could have sworn they were labeled as sweet peppers. Harvested the first batch to make some fajitas w/ last night. Wore no gloves when processing them. My hands are on fire at the moment. And I about burnt my mouth off last night. I thought it was because I added to much cayenne powder to the mix. Nope, it was the red Italian roaster pepper. I like spicy food but man did I screw up. Thankfully I didn't touch my eyes last night. Or worse yet get it on my two month old son. I will always double check peppers before I assume they are sweet from now on.
    Good thing you didn't have to take a leak as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Let me tell you the wife isn't too happy about handling hot peppers with bare hands either. I know they say you should spice things up, but I don't think that is what they had in mind.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. metalworker, woodworker, mechanic, restorer and 200.00 stamp collector

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes mild peppers will still burn.
    Are these what you have??
    http://www.cherrygal.com/pepperhotro...8-p-10039.html

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub

I cut some jalapeños up to add to a jar of pickles one time. A few hours later, I took my contacts out. Man...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein

Boolit Master
    Last year my son gave me a bunch of hot peppers he grew. I let them sit in the basement till they were dry, then I ground them up in the blender. While pouring the powder into a jar, I got a good whiff of the real fine dust. I wished I hadn't. That was wicked stuff.

Vendor Sponsor

The hotter the pepper, the more you need gloves, eye and respiratory protection. Use a well ventilated airspace, let a fan suck the air away from you and out an open window, etc..

I put a bunch of Trinidad Butch T Scorpions in a food processor once, and then simply opened it after they were done, didn't touch any of the peppers, man that stuff attacked with a vengeance, filled the kitchen with pepper gas, even with the exhaust fan on the oven hood on high I was coughing, sneezing, eyes watering, nose running, it was WICKED! I had to leave the room.

Don't process hot peppers on a wooden cutting board or a worn one with lots of use on it, you can taint food you process 2 days later just from the residual capsaicin that soaked into the knife cuts and wood grain of your cutting board. I use a plastic divider from a notebook to slice and process peppers on, then I can soak that in the sink in hot soapy water so I know it's neutralized.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I make my own chili powder from a blend of 12 chili's including Thai bird chili's and habenero. I seed them then grind them in a coffee mill. As I was doing it a friend walked in the house and wandered into the kitchen when I hollered to come in. He started choking, gasping, wheezing... thought I was going to have to take him to the hospital. All I was wearing were gloves, no face or eye protection. Sure my nose was running and eyes burning but I didn't think it was that bad...

Boolit Master

Many years ago I had a juicer and grew all kinds of hot peppers including Habeneros. A friend wanted some jalapeno juice. DO NOT do something like that... The process of juicing the jalapeno's released the heat into the air, I basically pepper sprayed myself. Took over an hour before anyone would venture into my kitchen.

Banned

Wife grew sweet peppers one time and I took a few to work with lunch. The long green ones, sweet.
    Ate a bunch, got to the point on the last one, tossed it in and that sucker ate me up! Hotter then a ghost pepper. Just the tip.
    I like hot and spicy but I was in pain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I make my own chili powder from a blend of 12 chili's including Thai bird chili's and habenero. I seed them then grind them in a coffee mill. As I was doing it a friend walked in the house and wandered into the kitchen when I hollered to come in. He started choking, gasping, wheezing... thought I was going to have to take him to the hospital. All I was wearing were gloves, no face or eye protection. Sure my nose was running and eyes burning but I didn't think it was that bad...
    I dry mine in a dehydrator before I grind them and have not issues.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    I ate a Scottish bonnet once on a dare.... I just swallowed it whole, figured it was better then chewing.

How do you guys eat these things all the time?! I literally drove 75 mph down a 40, hoping to either make it to a CVS to buy pepto. Or for a cop to pull me over and shoot me.

My eyes are watering right now!
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

Boolit Master
    That is why I dry and grind them. Just a very little powder is all I need to season my food. I eat way more sweet peppers than hot peppers but I am a Yankee by birth.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides