RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Fluid Film as a lubricant for lever actions

Fluid Film as a lubricant for lever actions

If you have some of this stuff around give it a try in your lever rifle action.

I was cleaning my Rossi 92 yesterday and coating the exterior with a spritz and a wipe down with FF for protecting the externals. Since I had it handy I spritzed the internals, bolt and locking bars as well as dabbed a bit on the face of the hammer so it would coat the heel on the bottom of the bolt.

Let me say that my Rossi has never felt so slick or cycled with so little effort and so snappy.

I'm not easily swayed but I broke down and bought a can after seeing so many testimonials. It was a slow process adapting to it. I bought the can more than a year ago in fact. A few months back I tried it for something and decided to try it as an exterior protectant since it does not rub off easily with handling. And that's a good thing.

I've been using it a little more as things go by. And after seeing how well it slicked up my lever rifle I'll be using it all the more.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Banned

I use and recommend Fire Clean. Nothing better, and I can say that categorically.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't use it....I just had to soak a Ford truck door-latch assembly in gasoline overnight to remove dried and petrified fluid-film from the mechanism.

My thoughts on fluid-film is that it's more a coating than a proper lube....

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My thoughts on fluid-film is that it's more a coating than a proper lube....
    Agree 100%. Suggestion, try Eezox ... a cleaner, lubricant and rust preventative with a light coat coat dries to a non sticky film. Cleans smokeless & BP foul. Am working with my 5th quart of Eezox now
    Regards
    John

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I tried Fluid Film, and it did gum up the works after curing. I also found it is not all that good of a rust preventative. I was wiping down firearms with it at a wet camp, and they always had rust on them the next morning.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    I polished my Marlin hammer, and bottom of the bolt with 2000 grit auto paper, and rubbed on some moly grease. Also polished the nose of the lever, and used moly grease--very smooth, just be stingy with the moly, messy if too much.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I tried Fluid Film, and it did gum up the works after curing. I also found it is not all that good of a rust preventative. I was wiping down firearms with it at a wet camp, and they always had rust on them the next morning.
    FF is a fabulous rust preventative... if used as directed, on dry metal. It was never marketed for firearms, but it has kept my snow blower looking like new for a decade of snow, ice and salt.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Mold
    The best use this guy has found is as a case lube for resizing. I haven't found anything better.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    FF is a fabulous rust preventative...
    Here is a 10 months comparison rust test between Fluid Film and Eezox ... make your own decision
    http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...=6291.msg54609
    Regards
    John