Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Having an issue with the Star sizer!

Boolit Master

Having an issue with the Star sizer!

The problem is, that I havenīt bought one earlier.
    I think that I have wasted weeks of my lifetime sizing and lubing with a LAMII.

I could bite my ***, for waiting so long to get me one.

Best buy since Iīve started casting bullets, hands down.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the Seventies, money was tight and a new Star was just out of the question. I was shooting at least 20,000 rounds of pistol and revolver ammo a year and casting my own bullets. The Lyman lube/sizer was getting quite a work out as was the operator (me). A good friend, from a near by small suburb of Cincinnati was a friend of the retired police chief of that small community. The Chief was cleaning out his garage and wanting to get rid of "stuff". Amongst the stuff was a rusty ol' Star lube/sizer. My good friend, who has now gone to that perfect range in the sky, asked me if I wanted to buy it (for a VERY low price). I DID, I DID, I DID!! I removed all of the rust, repainted it, removed all of the dried up bullet lube from the interior and it has since sized/lubed well over 300,000 home cast bullets. It is definitely a STAR in more than name.

They can be a pain to set up, but once you have the "code" down pat, it is nothing but a pleasure to run. I have a Lyman heater (the flat kind that is drilled and tapped for a Star, Lyman, and RCBS sizer along with an adjustable power supply (you can simply use a wired up light dimmer) allows me to use the higher temperature lubes that I prefer (White Label's Carnauba Red, as an example of my preference).

Congratulations on your new acquisition!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Thanks a bunch!

Couldnīt be happier!

I donīt really understand that (how long does the Star sizer now exist, thirty years or even more?) there still are Lyman and RCBS lube sizers, which are totally **** in case of effectiveness against the Star.

In fact, the Star sizer is not wellknown and even rare over here.

With my weak lube, it is a dream to work with.

Boolit Master
    Jay jay: I think that if you check some of your earlier threads, most of us said that it would be the best money you ever spent!!

Boolit Buddy
    Agree!

Boolit Master
    @MT Chambers:

Thatīs correct.

But you can find here a loooooot of threads with lightly desperate sounding fellows having some probs with the Star Sizer (puncher setting, leaking lube, etc.) too.
    So I wasnīt sure, what would happen to me and waited longer as I normally would have.

But Iīve measured out the heighth, put my lube in and started to lubesize - being to the point from the first bullet.

So this was kind of a pretty big relaxation for me.
    Being so happy I had to start this thread.

Huge thanks to all of you guys!

Banned
    I have an open height chart for my different bullets and calibers. I also have Lathesmiths two piece punch which allows me to make minor adjustments by simply turning the punch. All my 45caliber bullets use the same punch setting.

Boolit Master

The star/magnma lube sizer is like using a dillon 550 to L&S bullets compaired to the lyman & RCBS, Saeco's single stage l/s offerings, you can easyly do 1000 bullets per hr.

THE BEST MONEY YOU CAN SPEND ON CASTING EQUIPMENT

ADMIN

I think the best move I ever did was spend the money on a star sizer.
    It was a better move then automating the master caster.

Now I think was it really cool is that now that I am doing Hitek coating exclusively on all my BOOLITS that I don't have to worry about punch settings or temp settings on the heater or pressure settings on the lube.

The other day I was able to size up a full coffee can of 38s at the rate of one boolit every 1.4 seconds. Thats over 2500 a hr!!!
    This of course is using a automated star (air setup). All I had to do was try to keep up with it when I was loading boolits in the clear feeding tubes.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    Few things in life bring such a satisfying smile to my face as operating my Star. A wonderful machine.......

Mine is set up on a Lyman heated base, Star air cylinder and Lathesmith dies bought right here on this forum.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com