Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USPS - Cover Your Butt

Boolit Master on Heavens Range

USPS - Cover Your Butt

Appears that I am experiencing my first lost USPS package. Spent over an hour today at the local USPS. Without getting into major detail on the lost Medium Flat Rate box, the best guess is that the label was damaged enough that the barcode, return address and ship to address were no longer readable. When I check the tracking information on the USPS website, the package never shows received by them.

The USPS supervisor told me that when a label is damaged enough that the barcode, return address and ship to address were no longer readable, the package goes to a location called "Dead Letter"

Once a package moves to the "Dead Letter" location, the package is opened to see if the barcode, return address or ship to address are noted inside the package. If they are not, the package is destroyed by USPS

Definitely learned an expensive lesson to the tune of $200 In the future, every box that I ship via USPS will have a copy of the shipping label packed inside the box. Please learn from my mistake so this doesn't happen to you.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master

You DID cover the address label with clear packaging tape,,,--- didn't you? I completely cover the label that I print on heavy stock paper with a layer of whatever kind of clear packaging tape I'm using. That way the ham handed package jockeys can't hook the paper, ripping it off.

Good idea to put a copy of the label inside the box. A simple address might work, but a scanned copy of the label would prove that you paid for the shipping.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for posting, good to know
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master
    I just felt the flames of this one myself. Thank God the cast boolits member was super patient and understanding. All worked out but I have a new found hatred for the post office. I also have a new tape gun and several rolls of strong packing tape as well as the understanding that EVERYTHING needs insurance.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    You DID cover the address label with clear packaging tape,,,--- didn't you? I completely cover the label that I print on heavy stock paper with a layer of whatever kind of clear packaging tape I'm using. That way the ham handed package jockeys can't hook the paper, ripping it off.

Good idea to put a copy of the label inside the box. A simple address might work, but a scanned copy of the label would prove that you paid for the shipping.
    Nope, did not cover the shipping label in tape. One of the mail carriers complained about that earlier so I stopped. Guess the reflection causes their scanner grief. I was told to never cover the barcode especially.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master

I just mailed off three packages to buyers from this site. All three boxes had a 3x5 card inside with the "To" and "From" addresses as well as what was being shipped. This is what is needed when the label gets destroyed. As someone above stated, always cover the shipping address info with clear shipping tape too.

Vendor Sponsor

Always and I mean always cover every label completely with heavy clear vinyl tape .. I could care less what the counter person says .. They will not and did not cover that lost package of yours..
    I do this with all packages USPS, Fed Ex and UPS ..
    a label copy inside is also a good Idea

learned the hard way as well ..

I sent a German MG42 Tripod via Fed Ex with $600.00 insurance..
    Fed Ex destroyed the box.. Even posted a note on the tracking that they had to repackaged the tripod..
    when it arrived at last terminal customer went there to pickup
    it was missing the leg lever .. he immediately called me and emailed pics ..
    Fed ex turned down the damaged shipment claim ..
    guess for what reason .. They could not inspect the original box .. remember the one they reboxed because they destroyed it .. Thieves
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

It has been a month and still waiting on an appeal. They said they delivered my package, but it wasn't to me. I will start putting shipping info on the inside as well. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    We ship many packages USPS and always cover the label with tape except for the bar code area. An invoice is included in the package with from/to info. They still manage to lose a few.
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    Yep.........I make sure that the clear packaging tape is over the bar code and don't over lap so the scanners work. I also tape the entire label on and ensure the box is taped very well (sometimes the entire box). Insurance helps and I've only had to use it once but I'm glad I did. Despite taking every precaution it's entirely possible to be given a trip though.

Nothing like a well organized company!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    Nothing like a well organized company!

Yeah, what's that got to do with the US Post Office?

Lol!!!

Banned
    Don't get me started. Ship a package of loading blocks to a customer, he receives an EMPTY package, emailed me a picture of it, with a stamp from USPS on it saying it was delivered empty. Not that big of loss, just a PITA. Customer was patient. Wife shipped an embroidery machine to a buyer in Florida. $500 insurance of it. Delivered looking like it was dropped from a three story building. Buyer wouldn't co-operate and let USPS examine the package, just shipped it back. USPS response? TSMF. Repair clinic pulled it apart, looked at the damage, and said, "Jeez, this would have had to pull about 5 Gs to displace this belt and driver."
    Only ship USPS when it doesn't matter, or is cheap to replace. No wonder they are 2 billion in the red now.
    Typical case here, want to bet she won't be fired, just "disciplined and retrained"?
    http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/weird...mped/13764101/

Boolit Grand Master

Three claims in the last two years. USPS hasn't paid a dime. Used toilet paper is more useful than USPS insurance.

Boolit Master
    I had a press show up recently that I have taken a tip from. Every separate piece inside the box had my address taped to it. I think it is a good idea with how USPS is operating these days.

Moderator Emeritus

I got a letter from the local post master about that. Ignored them. I tape it over to keep it intact and water proof

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    Nope, did not cover the shipping label in tape. One of the mail carriers complained about that earlier so I stopped. Guess the reflection causes their scanner grief. I was told to never cover the barcode especially.

Moderator Emeritus

It seems to vary with where you live, here USPS is most reliable followed by fedex then united parcel smashers

Quote Originally Posted by Charley View Post
    Don't get me started. Ship a package of loading blocks to a customer, he receives an EMPTY package, emailed me a picture of it, with a stamp from USPS on it saying it was delivered empty. Not that big of loss, just a PITA. Customer was patient. Wife shipped an embroidery machine to a buyer in Florida. $500 insurance of it. Delivered looking like it was dropped from a three story building. Buyer wouldn't co-operate and let USPS examine the package, just shipped it back. USPS response? TSMF. Repair clinic pulled it apart, looked at the damage, and said, "Jeez, this would have had to pull about 5 Gs to displace this belt and driver."
    Only ship USPS when it doesn't matter, or is cheap to replace. No wonder they are 2 billion in the red now.
    Typical case here, want to bet she won't be fired, just "disciplined and retrained"?
    http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/weird...mped/13764101/

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the heads up.

Boolit Master
    I always make sure that there is a packing slip with both ship to and return address on it.
    I will start printing out a second copy of the shipping label and putting that in the box also.

And I tape over the complete shipping label, the counter personnel have no issue if it is one layer of tape only, have had comments when I put more than one layer on it and the scanner would not read it.

Boolit Master
    Never had a problem with taping over the bar code.
    Although I think there are usually fewer problems with Fed Ex, I never trust any of them to honor their insurance policies. They seem to excel in inventing some cock-eyed excuse why they shouldn't have to pay on a claim and you have virtually no recourse.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast