Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 148 HBWC mold 38 cal

Boolit Buddy

148 HBWC mold 38 cal

I picked up a Smith Model 52 for Bullseye competition, and want to cast this bullet. Any suggestions?

Personally, I would use any of the very good solid base wadcutter designs out there. They are easy to cast and are very accurate. That would be a simpler solution the the issue.

Boolit Master
    Both NOE and MP make nice .38 HBWC molds.
    The NOE 2-cavity and 4-cavity versions are currently in stock and available !

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...5a3iagceh98jl1

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    Both NOE and MP make nice .38 HBWC molds.
    The NOE 2-cavity and 4-cavity versions are currently in stock and available !

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...5a3iagceh98jl1

Jerry
    I wasn't aware those molds existed. That does change the outlook a bit.
    NOE molds are never a bad choice.

Boolit Grand Master

I no longer have my Model 52 Smith. However, H&G made a superb mould for a dbl ended W/C JUST for this pistol. I have a six cavity in this style and it shoots extremely well.

My experience has been the solid w/c's need a bit more powder to shoot well. About 3.2 grs of Bullseye or equivalent will "git 'er done"...

FWIW

Dale53

Le Loup Solitaire
    I second the post by Dale 53. I have been using the H&G 251 for Bulleye Comp for many years and it is an excellent design. Lube in one groove only and seated flush with the case mouth...and the slightest roll on the crimp. A dream design in a dream mold...mine is a 4 cav that delivers almost no rejection rate and you can load from either end...makes no difference. I've had success with 2.6 grains of 700X. LLS

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey Dale53, shall I bring up a Model 52 next time I come so we can refresh old memories? The one in the safe needs some exercise!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy

Thanks guys. The NEC is a 360, seems a little big. I haven't slugged the 52, but my other .38 I use a .358 in the Lyman sizer. How soft do you go for the M52? I normally use 4-1 lead/lino, or WW. Doing a little reading, I see swagged soft bullets were popular for this gun.

The reason I ask about the size is my H&G 130 drops at .454, and its very hard to size them down to .452.

Boolit Master

The, lyman 358063 is close to the H&G. Tim

Boolit Grand Master

Froggie;
    Sounds like a plan. If you want to cast some bullets for it, we can arrange that, too!

Dale53

Boolit Buddy

I just finished working up an accurate load for a newly acquired M52-2. Tried RCBS, Lyman 358063,358495, MP 359-148HB, and two Lee WC molds with 5 different powders.(Bullseye, Clays, W-231, Red Dot, WST)
    After much shooting what worked best was 2.5 Clays and the Lee 148 Tumble Lube wadcutter. I could get VERY tight groups at 25yds with that combo. Never tried it at 50yds.
    Char-Gar and some other helpful folks here helped me along. One thing that helped was there suggestion to use a .358-.359 expander so the bullets slide in without deforming the skirt. And to use wadcutter brass.

Boolit Buddy

Ia, what expander are you talking about, a M die? And what is "wadcutter brass"? I have the M52-2 also, always wanted one, but are very pricy. There has been a bunch on Gunbroker lately, I bit the bullet and bought one.

I pushed some SWCs down to flush, and used 3.2 of Tite Group, shot pretty good at 50 yards.

Boolit Master
    I have the MP HBWC 38 mold and it shoots better than any "solid" WC I put in my 52, so much so that the three 4 cav WC molds I had I sold last year.

The MP mold with the Kramer style pin makes a bunch of HBWC's in a hurry, no clue how the Noe one works but I have heard good things about them so would order one in a heartbeat should I need to replace my MP for whatever reason

Boolit Buddy

I got it directly from RCBS, called them and asked if they had anything larger than the factory 38/357 expander(which actually mic's .356 if I remember correctly)
    He said "got just what you need" and sent me one marked .359 Works great, slide .358 bullets in with your thumb and then a light roll crimp.
    Wadcutter brass has more of a straight wall inside, no taper, usually identified by 2 cannelures (sp?) or visable rings around the outside.
    I've learned all this by reading here, wonderful site!

Boolit Grand Master
    As of now, I've got an Ideal DC 35863 on the way from catmandu, so it, along with my DC 357156 SWC (GC) should make my 38 Spl bullet moulding complete. I've got a feeling the '68 will get used a lot so I can run them through the existing setup on my Star Progressive. (Thanks Dale53, for all your help on that process! )

The Happy Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"