MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Educate me on the Contender

Educate me on the Contender

I'm a new owner on a G1 contender, love it. I recently saw a post in S&S for a Encore barrel that had been shortened, with a pisol grip included. I can't afford to buy it but I am curious to know if any Encore barrel would fit my G1. Any differences?

No! Encore bbls can not be used on Contender frames. Vice versa is also the case.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Check out Ed's Contenders on the Internet. He generally has about one of everything ever made for the Contender and his prices are very fair. Be aware that there are some Contender barrels floating around that are chambered for cartridges that are too hot for the TC unless loaded down in pressure. The 250 and 300 Savage cartridges come to mind.

Boolit Master
    I have Contender barrels from 17 HMR to 45-70 with a lot of stops in between. This is a great single shot fire arm! Extremely accurate with correct loads and FUN to play with. You can not "roll" a can with multiple shots like with a revolver. Scope that barrel and you CAN shoot golf balls at 100 yards and beyond! One frame, one grip and a bunch of barrels (with fore arms!) and you can shoot .22RF for fun. Change the barrel (takes less than 2 minutes) and go hunting with a 30-30 or .35 Remington!

Perma-Banned

Contenders are loads of fun. I have way too many barrels and am always looking for more.

I will second that about hunting. My 14 inch 30-30 Contender topped with a basic 2x pistol scope works great on whitetail deer during our late season alternate weapons hunt. This combo is accurate, too. The 10 inch bbls of the pistol calibers give a nice boost in velocity and energy over shorter bbl handguns. I have one of the early frames with a classic looking octagonal bbl in 357 that is a really good looking rig. Carry with a bandolier type holster in the field. They are available for either scoped or not.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Buddy
    Just like most of the previous posters, I have 4 frames of various vintage (1977-1998) and 12 bbls. Took my first Handgun Whitetail with a 10" Bull Barreled .30-30 Win with 2.5-7X28MM EER Simmons scope and a 130 gr SSP Hornady bullet at just over 1,950 FPS. 63 yd shot from a secure rest against a tree trunk and the 11 Pt (150 lb field dressed weight) Buck dropped like a stone.
    Of course, unlike others here, I can stop buying barrels anytime I want to............yeah riiiiiiiight.
    Lots of custom barrels out there, and most of the standard calibers will do more than one might imagine.
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Master
    I have barrels in .22LR, .223, .30 Herrett, .357 Mag, .and .44 Mag, and always on the lookout for more variations, so if you aren't hooked yet, well, what are you waiting on?
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Oh I'm hooked, I have 3 barrels now and plan to add more as funds allow. I've never been able to shoot as well with any other handgun, too much fun.

Boolit Master

I bought my first Contender in the late 1980s and still have it, as well as a few others. I'm not in recovery, so I don't have to admit the number of barrels, but here's a bit of advice to you. You can buy/sell/trade barrels all you want, but hang onto the dies and brass. you'll need them again on your second or third go-round with a caliber. The flip side to that is to make sure you can get dies and brass before you take the plunge buying/trading into a wildcat caliber.

Since you mentioned an Encore, buy one. Then you can safely have that 6.5-284 or .280AI pistol you've always wanted (trust me, you have always wanted one, you just suppressed it until now).
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    from 22 to 45-70

Boolit Master
    I was out with my TC Contender and G2 today. I was firing both frames in 32/20, 357 Max and 357/44 B&D.
    It is an addiction but fun. Most people don't even know what you are shooting or the caliber.
    It keeps the old calibers alive. Nice with cast, the 357 Max was using the RCBS 180 Silo boolit and put 50 rounds in 2" from a rest. If you do you home work, everything will be good.
    Leadmelter
    MI

I got started in this in 1988 when I graduated High school , my graduation present a 223 super 14 contender topped with a 4X Burris scope and hard side case. I still have it but moved the barrel to another frame the 4X Burris is set on a super 14 22LR barrel . A total of 7 barrels between 2 frames that 223 still shoots clover leafs at a hundred. I love going to a public range and see folks stare will you break out a tender then go set up a target at a hundred . Had some even laugh till a 10 3/4" 30 Herrett out shoots their rifle , at least I was smiling on the trip home
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hornady308 View Post
    Check out Ed's Contenders on the Internet. He generally has about one of everything ever made for the Contender and his prices are very fair. Be aware that there are some Contender barrels floating around that are chambered for cartridges that are too hot for the TC unless loaded down in pressure. The 250 and 300 Savage cartridges come to mind.
    Those are too hot for the Contender, but not for the Encore (which is why barrels are not interchangeable). TC also made the Encore in calibers like .300 Win Mag and .375 H&H (I don't think I would like to try the Encore in those last two calibers).
    Last edited by Ed in North Texas; 08-16-2014 at 10:38 PM.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Buddy

One problem I seem to have had with Contender barrels, is the tendency to swap, sell, buy, too quickly. I currently have 4 different calibers I'm working with, in detail, but there is one I traded almost as quickly as I got it, and sure wish I could get it back. That would be the 7TCU. aka 7mm International, or 7mm IHMSA.
    I bought it with brass, dies, etc, and 200 cast bullets, from an rcbs mold (which also came with barrel) 165gr or 168gr IIRC. They shoot rather well. Since trading it away, I've often thought it would've a superb Whitetail cartridge/gun combo.
    When looking for, buying, swapping, etc, barrels, just don't get in a hurry!!
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Something I've noticed on my G1 is when closing the action, if you don't snap it closed somewhat sharply, if your too gentle, there seems to be insufficient force on the primer strike to fire. I don't have to too rough with it, but I can't be too gentle either. Is this normal? I have tried lube, it all seems to be clean.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    Those are too hot for the Contender, but not for the Encore (which is why barrels are not interchangeable). TC also made the Encore in calibers like .300 Win Mag and .375 H&H (I don't think I would like to try the Encore in those last two calibers).
    Yes, 250 and 300 Savage are too hot for the contender, but there are people who have chambered contender barrels in those calibers. Hand loaded to lower pressure they are fine, but with factory loads the contender would not last long. You never know what people will do to switch barrel firearms.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by s mac View Post
    Something I've noticed on my G1 is when closing the action, if you don't snap it closed somewhat sharply, if your too gentle, there seems to be insufficient force on the primer strike to fire. I don't have to too rough with it, but I can't be too gentle either. Is this normal? I have tried lube, it all seems to be clean.
    don't know if it's normal, but this is VERY common.

Boolit Buddy
    The 250 Savage operates at 45,000 psi and is perfectly safe on the T/C "Contender"...

The 300 Savage operates at 47,000 psi and because of the larger .30 caliber bore, factory ammo is safe for use 300 Savage chambered barrels...

Cartridges like the 22-250, 243, 260, 7mm-08, 308, etc., are NOT safe for use in the "Contender" because of their higher operating pressures, even though they all have the same case head size....

A

Two things I can say about the Contender.

1. They're spooky accurate
    2. They're addictive

I had one for several years in various calibers. I finally broke down to 2 barrels, a .22 LR Match Grade in 14" and a 7-30 Waters in 14". I practiced a great deal with the .22 LR and it was pure bliss. The 7-30 Waters was far more accurate than I. I fired one 3 shot group into a 3/8th's inch clover leaf at 100 yards off the bench.

If you're looking to get into single shot handguns, you can't go wrong with a Contender. If it's just the Contender 'calling out to you' to try? You won't regret it.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast