Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder coating and polygonal barrels question

Powder coating and polygonal barrels question

Is it safe to shoot powder coated boolits in my HK P30? I have several pounds of lead wheel weights I can cast up, but I'm leary if It will foul my barrel.

I have never had a problem. PC shoots just fine in a glock and a marlin

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    I have never had a problem. PC shoots just fine in a glock and a marlin

What about velocity? How fast is too much?
    Last edited by flintlock62; 08-09-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Boolit Master

I've shot over 1900 fps without gas checks and no problems, 2300 fps (so far) with gas checks and still no problem. Glocks, Marlin, NEF 1871 Classic Carbine, 1903A3, S&W, and some oddball guns. It doesn't seem to matter the type of rifling. PCd boolits leave a shiny bore.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

As long as you have verified that your coating is adhered correctly (smash test or something similar) then you will be fine. I've shot 4 stock Glock barrels with no problems.

Boolit Master
    But even with traditional lubed boolits my Glock with Glock barrel has not had leading problems.

prs

Boolit Master
    As long as your bond is good and you do not observe any fouling all is well. I've put them through glocks, desert eagles, and conventional rifling w/o any issue. If it won't foul the gas port in a desert eagle I'm somehow doubting you should have any issue with a glock.

Ebner

Thanks for the replies folks!

Does this include 40 cal glocks? Most of the comments I have seen are for 45 cal. I just got my first glock, a 23. I ordered some dies, lee sizing die, and a 145 swc mold. I will be using coww. Hopefully I can resurrect this thread... didn't want to start another thread can I load my gun with x powder and how much because I don't want to buy a manual and I'm too lazy to search (see I found this thread by searching )
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master
    If you can call a 10mm a 40 cal I am pretty sure you can, in fact I've done it many times. I'm pretty sure that I'm not hardly the only one that has. Want to see the fouling results? Desert eagles are poly rifling. Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c-eOt68X6s

Ebner

Boolit Master
    My response in #6 above is relative to a 23 Glock with Glock barrel. With powder coat I even shoot lead to the upper end of the published loads. Not all PC paints are equal, but the "super durable wet" or glossy ones are favorites. Fit is still important.

prs

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    My response in #6 above is relative to a 23 Glock with Glock barrel. With powder coat I even shoot lead to the upper end of the published loads. Not all PC paints are equal, but the "super durable wet" or glossy ones are favorites. Fit is still important.

prs
    Couldn't agree more. Fit is always important no matter how you want to lube them. To tell you the truth in my experience there has never been an issue with traditional lube in glock barrels. In the desert eagle it isn't an issue with barrel fouling as much as it is gas port fouling with wax lubes and lead bullets. When using PC it's nothing but carbon so far in my testing. I don't doubt that all PC powder is not created equal, for me the HF is so cheap and works so I've never tried anything else.

Ebner

Boolit Master
    Ebner, I purchased PBTP brand gloss black and others before I tried HF brand gloss black and red. The HF black is not quite as good for coverage as the PBTP, but the red HF covers well for me. My next powder will be purchased from our board member. Then again, I have about 4# to use-up.

prs

Boolit Mold
    you should be good as long as it's not an uncoated/jacketed bullet. the idea is that cast boolits leave lead deposits that can seal up the bore causing a Kb from overpressure. coating prevents that from happening.

Boolit Master
    I spent about 180.00 on a kkm bbl for my g-21 before i knew about pc. My g-19 eats pc'd lee .356-120tc boolits with pc on em and no leading at all. Around 1200 fps.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Since I started PC'ing and dropped grease lubes, I have not had any leading to speak of! I always look for it, but cannot find it!

All barrels are clean and shiny with just a quick swab of a patch after hundreds of rounds. That is in revolvers, semi's and long guns. All clean!

PC = shoot more - clean less.
    Works for me.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I have HK P30L in both 9mm and 40 cal. I am shooting PC in both pistols with fairly good results. I have no leading. The range master at a local range warned me about leading in the HK pistols causing problems. After a box of 50 thru the 40cal, I showed him the barrel. He was amazed. No lead just some dirty Red Dot carbon! I am still a noob to this but it seems to work fine. I use ACWW with a small amount of tin added. I may WC the mixture for the 9mm 121gr RN. Both boolits fall from NOE molds (the 40 is a 180gr RN).

I hope this helps. I would be careful until you establish that there is no leading. Both Glock and HK warn against using cast boolits because if there is leading it could cause a KB. Of course many things could cause a KB, but we control those and we can control leading also.

Ed C

Boolit Buddy
    I load medium loads for my glock with traditional lubed cast and powder coated and haven't had any major issues. I have some leading in it from the traditional lubed ones but it hasn't raised the pressure enough to give me issues.

Boolit Buddy
    I do get plenty of black sooty stuff from my PC'd boolits no matter if standard land and groove or polygonal. It is not leading and seems to be unrelated to the powder used (although I believe all powders tried are double base). It is probably from the PC (harbor freight red). With TACx lube and no PC, I get some black stuff but one or two patches and its all gone. The barrels look clean before all the black stuff is gone on the PC'd boolits. Does anyone else get a black soot?

Ed C

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=edctexas;3033400]I do get plenty of black sooty stuff from my PC'd boolits no matter if standard land and groove or polygonal. It is not leading and seems to be unrelated to the powder used (although I believe all powders tried are double base). It is probably from the PC (harbor freight red). With TACx lube and no PC, I get some black stuff but one or two patches and its all gone. The barrels look clean before all the black stuff is gone on the PC'd boolits. Does anyone else get a black soot?

I had the black soot just like you described, I was using East Woods gloss black. I started seeing abrasion in my barrels and have stopped using PC.
    I wonder if the black soot is abrasive after the PC coating is subjected to heat and pressure of the round being fired?
    I described my problem in the super durable gloss black thread of 11-5-2014