Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CBs in High Power matches?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    So they should call it modified service rifle.The tuned up AR's etc are like the rifles fitted with pistol stocks they use in field pistol/long range pistol,not really what the sport is about.Anyway I still keep shooting my real service rifles. Pat
    I disagree. This improvement in accuracy is exactly what the sport is about. It is the test bed and development platform for rifles, ammo and shooting techniques. The M-21, M-24 and M110 have direct linage back to techniques developed for this type of competition. Same for the ammo and most importantly long range shooting skills of the military marksman.

Boolit Master

Our course is as follows (all shot at 100 yds.)

On an SR1 target:
    10 shots offhand slowfire in 10 minutes
    10 shots rapid sitting or kneeling in 60 seconds with mandatory reload

Change to an SR21 target
    2 strings of rapid fire prone in 70 seconds with mandatory reload

Change to an MR31 target
    20 rounds slowfire prone in 20 minutes

No slings allowed in offhand, permitted for the rest. About 5 years ago we began starting in position. I always assumed it was an NRA rule change, I guess it was something our club did on its own. I know there were concerns about muzzle control as people assumed the various positions.

How does one be competitive when using older service rifles when up against modern (maybe even modified) rifles? Are there separate classes?

As a side note, I used to shoot handgun silhouette but found myself disadvantaged because I had a colt six shooter type copy and the others were using target type guns. The club rules didn't allow me to fit the same sights the others had as the gun had to be 'unmodified' as they were shooting unmodified class.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    How does one be competitive when using older service rifles when up against modern (maybe even modified) rifles? Are there separate classes?
    If you shoot in an as issued or vintage match you are not at a disadvantage but not all matches have vintage or as issued classes
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ervice-pistol/

Firing Military Bolt Action Rifles In The CMP Games Matches
    http://www.odcmp.com/Training/CR/Mil_Bolt_Rifles.pdf

http://shootvmr.com/

Don't know if New Zealand has vintage classes. If not, the current top end guns are 1/2" MOA out to 1,000 yards
    http://www.nranz.com/shooting/classes

My preferred action for Palma & F class is from New Zealand. http://www.barnard.co.nz/actions.htm
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-05-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Boolit Master

As a side note, I used to shoot handgun silhouette but found myself disadvantaged because I had a colt six shooter type copy and the others were using target type guns. The club rules didn't allow me to fit the same sights the others had as the gun had to be 'unmodified' as they were shooting unmodified class.
    Next year we should start a Cast Boolit vintage unmodified postal shoot,all the targets get posted on here with loads etc. Pat

Boolit Master
    I'm for that pat!

Thank you guys. I'm for that too.

I had never heard of the Barnard action - very interesting. So, my biggest problem is all my Enfields have been sporterized. My leaning is toward one of my No4's which I had thought of making acceptable by means of an imitation L42 style fore-end. Anyway, for a postal shoot no-one can see the woodwork. The rest of the No4 and SMLE are as issued (apart from the sight ears). So what would the rules for the shoot be?

Boolit Master
    Easy,must be original calibre,original barrel or barrel made to military spec,any loads,any powder,original sights.What we want is a data base of loads,loading techniques that work,wood to metal fit that increases accuracy,any other idea's that don't change the rifles such as re-cut chambers,plastic stocks etc that improve the accuracy,not just group size but also day to day improvements to keep a regular POA.It would be good fun me thinks,getting a good HV 200m load,a good consistant 2000fps load for all the different types of mil surplus would not only improve the competition but also help field shooters/hunters. Pat

2000fps sounds like a good challenge. I thought of starting out much lower then working up. I'd really like to follow the progress of others and in different rifles.

Boolit Man
    Thank you guys. I'm for that too.

I had never heard of the Barnard action - very interesting. So, my biggest problem is all my Enfields have been sporterized. My leaning is toward one of my No4's which I had thought of making acceptable by means of an imitation L42 style fore-end. Anyway, for a postal shoot no-one can see the woodwork. The rest of the No4 and SMLE are as issued (apart from the sight ears). So what would the rules for the shoot be?
    303Guy,
    Barnard's and Trueflight barrels are the best things to come out of New Zealand.
    Mike.

In the Cast Bullet Association, military rifles have to have their original barrels. New Criterion, or other aftermarket barrels aren't allowed. Arsenal replacements are allowed, they're not so nitpicky as to demand that a rifle have the barrel it was issued with, realizing that many were rebarrelled in the course of their service life. Half the fun is making what you have shoot, without spending money on a high end replacement.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234