Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CBs in High Power matches?

Boolit Master
    I also learned that follow through with slower cartridges like 22Lr. at 1080fps and slower require much greater follow through then a 308 Winchester at 26-2700fps making trigger squeeze paramount to get good scores. I tell the shooters that I am teaching that I don't want to see their finger come flying off the trigger as soon as the shot it fired, this is the same a flinching and pushing the gun away from themselves, and that the bullet will not go where they were aiming.

I learned follow through when shooting High-Power but I also learned that when starting shooting Small-Bore that I needed even more follow through due to the longer barrel time.

Boolit Grand Master

Concur with Doc, follow through is a very important fundamental of marksmanship.

Larry Gibson

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Concur with Doc, follow through is a very important fundamental of marksmanship.

Larry Gibson

That's why everyone needs to learn how to shoot with a flintlock at an early age!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Or try shooting some loads using these Russian lead-free primers I bought (still 4800 to go!). Using them with RL19 I got quite a click.....bang, maybe a delay as long as with a flintlock. I was hitting the target, but shooting off the bench, likely wouldn't have been hitting it if I was shooting from a highpower position.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Or try shooting some loads using these Russian lead-free primers I bought (still 4800 to go!). Using them with RL19 I got quite a click.....bang, maybe a delay as long as with a flintlock. I was hitting the target, but shooting off the bench, likely wouldn't have been hitting it if I was shooting from a highpower position.
    Well at least they let you know if you're flinching or not. Kind of like some of my Mk VIII ball from WWII.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    I also learned that follow through with slower cartridges like 22Lr. at 1080fps and slower require much greater follow through then a 308 Winchester at 26-2700fps making trigger squeeze paramount to get good scores. I tell the shooters that I am teaching that I don't want to see their finger come flying off the trigger as soon as the shot it fired, this is the same a flinching and pushing the gun away from themselves, and that the bullet will not go where they were aiming.

I learned follow through when shooting High-Power but I also learned that when starting shooting Small-Bore that I needed even more follow through due to the longer barrel time.
    Yep, I shot NRA small bore rifle and pistol silhouette. I quit pistol because I didn't regard the rifle-scoped T/C Contenders everyone (including me) shot to be handguns. In retrospect, I learned a lot about follow-through, how not to fight the cross-hairs, and getting the shot off during the minimum arc of movement.

Quote Originally Posted by AggiePharmD View Post
    Those that are familiar with such are reduced cast loads acceptable or must they be full power? Stupid question probably since the words High Power are used? Just curious as I'd like to shoot a match but with cast if possible.
    I used to shoot the reduced course (100 yds.) with a slightly modified K-31 .

I mainly used a load that ran a little 155 gr. FP plain-base bullet around 1050 fps. Drove the AR boys crazy. While they were burying 25¢ per each match bullets into the 100 yd. backstop, there I was lobbing cast bullets well enough to earn an Expert classification.

Here's one of my better Prone Rapid targets with the above mentioned load:

I have a 1903 and 1 1903A3 that shoot really well too, but the K-31 is SO much faster and way easier to reload.

Here's a post by a fellow who used his 1903 to good effect:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...st-kicked-butt

Do a search here on the forum for a fellow named Bob S. Back in the '70's he used a 1903 and cast to obtain a Master classification shooting X-course. He'd use cast at 200 and 300 and then switch to a jacketed HPBT for 600.

Good luck!
    35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

My club also does 100yd reduced Highpower. I have shot cast in an 03A3 match gun since about '97 or '98 or so. I agree, there's a certain pleasure in "astounding" an AR shooter. Our course is a 600 point course. I typically hit in the 5teens or so, a bit better on a good day. My personal best is 549. I've hit the upper 540s a few times over the years, but have yet to break 550. I'm currently putting a .223 bolt gun together and will shoot cast through it, just for a change.

I am going to have to get around to trying my K31 in highpower. I have a good load that will stay pretty close to an inch at 100yds, but that's shooting with a 24x scope from the bench, not with iron sights from highpower positions. The load is the 168gr Eagan MX3-30AR over 25.7gr of SPP210 going right at 2000fps. This seems to be the bullet's hotspot. The club I mostly shoot at shoots from 200 and 300yd in 80rd matches. Maybe next year I'll first try one of the 50rd matches where they do all the shooting from 200yd.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Working on getting healthy enough to shoot my cast 69gr in my AR15 at my local 100 yard match. I've got a neck fusion surgery scheduled in the next few weeks so I need to shoot the match soon before I lose my ability to bend my neck backwards.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    Bruce, I have had the neck fusion and it does not hurt my prone shooting at all.

Boolit Master
    I order targets from here for the high power program at my club:
    http://www.americantargetcompany.com...le_targets.asp

good folks to do business with.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    So is this competion shot prone,bench??. Pat

Boolit Master
    Military across the course matches are 80 shots plus 2 sighter shots at each stage for 88 shots total.

Standing is 20 shots slow fire at 200 yards 22 in minutes.
    Rapid fire sitting at 200 yards is comprised of two 10 shot strings standing to sitting in 60 seconds with a reload of either 2 and 8 shots for a service rifle, or 5 and 5 for a match rifle. These are both shot on the SR target.

300 yards rapid fire prone is comprised of two 10 shot strings, and is shot standing to prone in 70 seconds with a reload of either 2 and 8 shots for a service rifle, or 5 and 5 for a match rifle. This is fired on the SR-3 target.

600 yards is slow fire 20 shots for record and is shot on the MR-1 target.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    So is this competion shot prone,bench??. Pat

Doc covered it very well. The sitting and prone utilizes a sling but no part of the firearm can touch the ground.

http://www.centraljerseyhighpower.co...view/page1.cfm --- what is Highpower

http://competitions.nra.org/how-to-g...mpetition.aspx --- getting started

http://compete.nra.org/documents/pdf...R/hpr-book.pdf --- rule book
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-26-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies. Pat

Boolit Master
    200m offhand with a 6 pound military trigger would sort the men from the boys. Pat

Boolit Grand Master

Service Rifle requires 4 1/2 pound triggers. The M1's and M-14's are all two stage triggers. Most of the AR shooters use two stage also. Set the first stage to about 3 pounds so the second is just 1 1/2 more. Way easier than pulling 4 1/2 at once. Standings is/was my weakness. I normally shot 185 - 187. Some of the guys I shot with normally shot 195's.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/nationa...s/nra-records/ what the real men have done

http://www.6mmbr.com/highpowerbasics.html more about HP
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-26-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    So they should call it modified service rifle.The tuned up AR's etc are like the rifles fitted with pistol stocks they use in field pistol/long range pistol,not really what the sport is about.Anyway I still keep shooting my real service rifles. Pat

Boolit Master

Doc,

Fusion at C6-C7 at the base of the neck and I'm hoping the pain and numbness doesn't return.

But I have shaky hands and bifocals now as well so being Competitive is long gone.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast