Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CBs in High Power matches?

CBs in High Power matches?

Those that are familiar with such are reduced cast loads acceptable or must they be full power? Stupid question probably since the words High Power are used? Just curious as I'd like to shoot a match but with cast if possible.

Boolit Grand Master

Some use them at the reduced 100 & 200 are matches. Never heard of anyone using them for across the course or long range. For mid & long range the trajectory could be a safety issue depending on the design of the pit.

No restrictions in the rules http://competitions.nra.org/document...R/hpr-book.pdf

Boolit Grand Master

Back "in the day" when the M1903 was still considered a "Service Rifle" many used cast bullets "across the course" on the old 5V target if the wind wasn't too bad. Some pretty respectable scores could be shot with several of the 190 - 210 gr bullets. However, once the decimal target came in and the M1903 lost it's status as a "Service Rifle" the use of cast bullets was very, very seldom seen. If seen at all these days it is on 100 and 200 yard reduced practice matches. I used a lot of cast bullets in M1As and M14s for the SF standing, RF sitting and RF prone matches and even some 600 yard (reduced) practice matches. I was able to practice position, cadence and aiming w/o a lot of cost and barrel wear. For a registered match I switched to jacketed bullets.

These days I occasionally shoot a 200 yard reduced match with my M1906 National Match Type II replicate using cast bullets. I've a 311466 load over 2400 w/Dacron that holds 1 3/4 moa across the course. If the wind isn't too bad I still shoot Master Level scores on the decimal target which is fine as I am non competitive these days any how. With the current times for rapid fire strings even having to work the bolt there is lots of time. Sure does put the fear in the AR shooters which is the fun part.........

Larry Gibson

Attachment 113008

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    With the current times for rapid fire strings even having to work the bolt there is lots of time. Sure does put the fear in the AR shooters which is the fun part.........

Larry Gibson

Attachment 113008

Cool !!!

Boolit Master

I shoot cast in highpower matches and as Larry says its good for 100 and 200 yard matches but I don't trust it with the full distance courses.

I've used the following in reduced matches for the fun of it.
    303 Brit
    8mm Mauser
    30-06
    308 Win
    7.7 Arisaka
    6.5 Arisaka
    260 Rem
    7.62x54R
    7.62x39

My next batch of cast loads for reduced matches over the next few months.
    300 Blackout
    223 Rem
    7mm Mauser (in a customized Garand)
    8mm-06

I'm a career Marksman because I prefer to have fun shooting than chasing a trophy (bad eyes and shaky hands due to nerve damage are the real reason...)
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

bruce

I shot my M1 Carbine with 311359 cast bullets once in a 100 yard reduced 800 point NMC practice match. I didn't read the range bulletin very well and was one week off thinking it was a "military rifle" match in which they had a match for M1 Carbines, SKS and AKs. I made the trip so I said what the heck the scores aren't sent in to the NRA so why not......managed to shoot a mid range Master score which surprised everyone including me! The M1 Carbine I have shoots 2 - 2 1/2 moa with that bullet and of course my eyes were better back then and I could actually focus on the front sight!

Larry Gibson

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Put the fear in them Larry !! Make them tremble and the sound of your name !

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

At our local club years ago almost everyone shot cast lead bullets in the High power matches it was a reduced coarse shot at 200 yds with reduced targets. I believe a few still do. Several of us did a few years ago at what is the memorial match. It can be done. Keep in mind that at full distance matches you end up at 600 yds. Again doable but will take some load developing.

Boolit Master

I shot High Power in Leyden, Mass for four seasons, primarily with my 1903 Springfield and No1 Mk4 Enfield, both with light charges of Red Dot under either a 311299 or 314299. They have the butts set 200 yards from the firing line, which is the max distance they could achieve with the range layout, and the targets were scaled appropriately for the stage of the match. Those powder puff loads did just fine, and from time to time would outscore the AR guys -- I loved those days!

Boolit Master
    What targets are used in the reduced range comps?,I want to start shooting it at my range. Pat

Boolit Grand Master

The NRA specifies the targets; they have reduced targets for 100, 200 and 300 yard ranges. Which range are you talking about?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

The targets we used were sized to simulate what an actual 200, 300, or 600 yd target would look like to the shooter at its respective distance. By the time the 600 yd targets were put up, they got quite small, about the width of the front sight post.

For practice, you can download and print targets here : http://www.pistoleer.com/shooting-targets/highpower/

If you haven't already done so, get yourself a good mat and spotting scope, as well as an M1907 pattern rifle sling. Be sure and have someone show you how to sling up nice and tight if you don't already know how to do so. And don't forget sight black for those bright sunny days.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nhrifle View Post
    The targets we used were sized to simulate what an actual 200, 300, or 600 yd target would look like to the shooter at its respective distance. By the time the 600 yd targets were put up, they got quite small, about the width of the front sight post.

For practice, you can download and print targets here : http://www.pistoleer.com/shooting-targets/highpower/

If you haven't already done so, get yourself a good mat and spotting scope, as well as an M1907 pattern rifle sling. Be sure and have someone show you how to sling up nice and tight if you don't already know how to do so. And don't forget sight black for those bright sunny days.
    Funny you mentioned sight black,saturday afternoon I had problems with shine on the front sight,my groups were 1'' wide by 3'' high,I couldn't get the sight picture right.I will look up the targets and get hold of some. Pat

Boolit Master

The black makes a big difference, but you will still get some distortion on really bright days. I used to cheat a little and put a strip of tape over my rear aperture to shade it. The matches I shot were for nothing more than bragging rights, so the others looked the other way. I'm sure that would have gotten me a DQ at an official match.

Boolit Master
    The Garand, Springfield and Vintage military bolt matches at Camp Perry are all shot at 200 yards on the SR target. The Carbine match is shot at 100 on the SR1 target.

Our use local club shoots the matches at 200 and 100.

I shot lead in both the Garand and Carbine match this year. I blew standing in both but managed to finish ninth in the Carbine match which I received a gold medal. I received a bronze in the Garand match.

Boolit Master
    100 yard targets
    SR-1 is used to simulate the 200 yard stage, standing/off-hand and standing to sitting rapid fire (60 seconds)
    SR-21 is used to simulate the 300 yard stage, standing to prone rapid fire (70 seconds)
    MR-31 is used to simulate the 600 yard stage, slow fire.

200 yard targets
    SR-42 is used to simulate the 300 yard stage, standing to prone rapid fire (70 seconds)
    MR-52 is used to simulate the 600 yard stage, slow fire.

Boolit Master
    Keen to get this up and running,it sounds like a good match and might get some of the safe queens out and used. Pat

For service rifle shoots here you have to have ammo within + or - 5% of military spec. Not hard to achieve with the old colonial warhorse .303 Brit. I have a GREAT 175gr cast load that produces just shy of 2400fps. Hardish bullet, sized to fit the throat and leade, case full of 'coal'. KABOOM.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Not to be outdone by Larry , here is my ersatz 1903 NM rifle over the reduced NM targets reduced for 100 yard shooting. Doc gave the nomenclature for each in his post above. 200 yard, 300 yard and 600 yard centers from left to right.

The Lyman 311284 boolit over SR 4759 does well at either 100 or 200 yards at my local club.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

SIght black works okay but even better is one of the little carbide smokers. ( Champions choice La Verge tennesse has them) that use calcium carbide and water to produce acetylene gas this produces a very flat black sooty flame with no glare at all. You can also use the flame from a carbide miners lamp ( uses more carbide) I have the miners lamp and a bunch of us would smoke sights at the start of the matches with it. WOrks like a charm and helps alot with iron sights. Smoking sights is one of the things not always mentioned or explained, but ounce you try it it becomes a necesity. Another plus to the flame is it is more "controled" than sprays. Be sure and clean it off as it will hold moisture and promote rust over time. These also produce a very fine soot for spotting parts in.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast