Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Books on stock making?

Boolit Buddy

Books on stock making?

I'm looking to try my hand at making a stock from a blank. Any good reference books on the subject that you guys would suggest?

There are such animals, but I've only got one named (I think), Gunstocks by Don Lucas. It's got to be pretty rare, because he was a stockmaking instructor at the Colorado School of Trades in the early '80s. He was one of the best, and self-published it. The poor fellow died a couple years later of cancer. The book has a very descriptive text and lots of hand drawn line drawings, and will take you from laying out the shape of the stock and it's dimensions all the way to putting on the finish. I haven't looked at it for awhile, but if I recall correctly it is aimed primarily at stocking bolt actions, although much of the information is applicable to other actions as well. If you really want it I'll Xerox a copy for you since you asked--but the offer isn't open for anyone else at this time as ink cartridges are expensive. Leave a message on my e-mail page with your shipping information. There are a number of other pricy books out there, but you won't beat this deal (free).

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I've not seen the book by Lucas, I bought "Professional Stockmaking" by David Wesbrook, from Wolfe Publishing Co. ISBN # 1-879356-15-5. Very good, very complete description of stock making.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    I tell ya...I've been inletting my Boyd Krag stock today and I'm about to pull my dang hair out trying to get it right!!

I know two books that will help your stock making.

1. Gunsmith Tips & Projects - Second Edition by Wolf Publishing Co. This is a very good book with a reference for most all types of gun work. This book is a collection of gunsmithing articles from Rifle Magazine. It is available from Brownell's, Amazon, and directly from Wolf Publishing.

2. The NRA Gunsmithing Guide - Updated. This book is a forty year collection of gunsmithing articles from the American Rifleman. This book in no longer in print. Look for a used copy on Amazon or eBay.

After you have inletted, shapped, and finished your stock you will need to checker it. Get a copy of Checkering & Carving Gunstocks by Monty Kennedy.

If you wish to make stocks from the blank you should own each of these books. Good luck with your project.

Boolit Grand Master

The Modern Gunsmith
    by James Virgil Howe

Format: Volume 1 - 393 pages/Volume 2 - 458 pages
    Published 1941 by Funk & Wagnalls, New York

I have the hard copy and the free download http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=27137 The stockmaking section is excellent. It's dated (1941) but these are still the best gunsmithing books I have seen.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-25-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Perm-Banned
    look to the sticky above on putting a finish in and on it.

Boolit Mold
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...3/m/4711078031. This link is a sticky in the gunsmithing section. Won't take the place of a good book but it is informative. Step by step with hand tools!

Boolit Master

You can have a wall full of books but nothing will replace OJT for this, but it does help to have a few books to point one along the way.
    A good book, if you can find ( or afford !! ) it is Restocking a Rifle by Alvin Linden.
    I too would like to see the book by Lucas. I was a CST grad from 68 and learned under Dick Kroeckle and Dean Wentworth. Jerry Fisher had left a couple years prior but his influence was still very much evident.
    Stockmaking can be learned but it takes PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE !! Speed like skill will come with experience.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Buddy
    Der Gebergsjager,

Got the book and must say you went above and beyond! That took some time...not to mention the shipping! Be watching the mail for something in return. Thanks a bunch to all!