Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Hell, I was there" book question

Boolit Master

Glad both books were Christmas presents to me from my wife in the 70's. Have read them ??? Many times and refered to them ????times. The old saying, "Good stuff aint cheap and cheap stuff ain't good" applys here.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Roosters, tyvm sir. Very very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosters View Post
    Try this https://archive.org/details/Hell_I_W...h_Autobigraphy

Look on the left and choose read online, pdf and so on.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by youngmman View Post
    I just checked Amazon and found they offer used copies of the book for $56.97

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...th%2Caps%2C256

That's where I found my copy, dust cover was even in pretty good shape for around $40.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Aren't capitalism and a free market interesting? While "Hell, I Was There" is being offered at what we seem to consider to be a highly inflated price, "Sixguns" is priced no differently than a new reloading manual.

Supply and demand? Greedy sellers? Indifferent readers? All of the above?

Sssssssshhhhh! Don't have my copy of Sixguns yet.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I was kinda wondering why cornbread hadn`t checked there first?Robert
    I did. That price was more than I was willing to pay. I can have it re-printed and custom leather bound for around that price.

A book now days with the printing technology we have is only worth what it costs for the paper, ink, and binding, unless the book is an antique. Any book that is out of print can be scanned and re-printed for personal use.

To answer the other posters question why I would value an original copy of a certain book over another. It has to do with the value of that actual printing e.g. the value of the book itself, not its contents.

All those newspapers and publishers out there that went belly up in the last ten years or so failed to realize that in this brave new world printed media on paper will never again be the solid revenue stream it once was. Just like all those scribes whose jobs went away when Gutenberg put out the first press, the writing has been on the wall for them for a while.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    check out the price on skeeter seltons first book. good friends. good guns . good whiskey. or days of the krag by brophy

Try to find his second Hoglegs, hipshots and jalapenos, or the rumered 3rd book they took advance orders for published by his wife.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I have to admit that I am somewhat addicted to reading novels on an electronic reader(Kindle) but I prefer books such as the one that started this thread in full print, either hardback or paperback if that is all that is available.

I have several "books" that are comb bound or spiral bound that have little value except to me and maybe others with similar interests. Paco Kelly's collections come to mind. One that I downloaded and printed on my home printer and comb bound was the Fryxell/Applegate book.

If I were to find a book that was available for download or scanning, where would I go to get it printed and bound?
    Last edited by alamogunr; 08-09-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Expanded Info
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I have to admit that I am somewhat addicted to reading novels on an electronic reader(Kindle) but I prefer books such as the one that started this thread in full print, either hardback or paperback if that is all that is available.

I have several "books" that are comb bound or spiral bound that have little value except to me and maybe others with similar interests. Paco Kelly's collections come to mind. One that I downloaded and printed on my home printer and comb bound was the Fryxell/Applegate book.

If I were to find a book that was available for download or scanning, where would I go to get it printed and bound?
    Just Google "custom book binding" or "Thesis Binding". Any place that can do custom Thesis binding can do what you want. For around $100 this place makes really nice custom bindings: http://www.bookcraftsman.com/customb/cbofpl.htm

This place in Missoula does nice work too: http://shaffnersbindery.com/specialties.htm

There are literally hundreds of places that can do it.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Master

Thanks!
    John
    W.TN

I've been using Electronic readers for over 3 years now. I didn't like or buy the kindle because I don't like being anyone's cash cow. Fact is Amazon controls what you can keep, and what books you can get. The books are actually on Amazon's server and are downloaded a chunk at a time. That just isn't the way I like to do things.

Now all the real action is moving to tablets from what I can see. And considering you can find a pretty good tablet for 200$ that will read ebooks, watch movies as well as surf the web, well that is not so bad.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I've been using Electronic readers for over 3 years now. I didn't like or buy the kindle because I don't like being anyone's cash cow. Fact is Amazon controls what you can keep, and what books you can get. The books are actually on Amazon's server and are downloaded a chunk at a time. That just isn't the way I like to do things.

Now all the real action is moving to tablets from what I can see. And considering you can find a pretty good tablet for 200$ that will read ebooks, watch movies as well as surf the web, well that is not so bad.
    There are many books available for free on Kindle. I have around 3000 downloaded at the time, now just need time to read them all! Try http://manybooks.net/, http://archive.org/, there are dozens more sites. I've not paid for a single book.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Are there not copy right laws or some such thing to prevent this? Try to copy a Disney kids movie and the FBI is on your tail so it says in the intro.

Yes there are. There are also laws against running stop signs, molesting children and murder. Obviously those activities no longer take place because there are laws forbidding the aforementioned activities. Let me tell you, this at the very top of the FBI's list.

Sarcasm aside, what will happen is known violators in print shops will be fired. Selling knock off copies might be enforced. Individual use violations will be left as a civil matter.

If you're at all interested in figuring out when the copywrite expires hunt down the correct category in the matrix. It was published in the US, copywrited in 1979 and the death date of the author is known.
    https://copyright.cornell.edu/resour...blicdomain.cfm
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 08-10-2014 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the post and for the link to the online version of 'Hell I was there'.
    Just got done reading it all.

Great book, Great man.

Matt

Boolit Master
    the e books are ok but. if the power goes out like around here they are a little hard to read. with real books I just get the wood stove going good light the lantern and I can set in my rocker and read.

Bob you do have a good point. Enough of one that I invested in a small solar charger, enough to keep my book addiction within limits even without power.

I also have a big paperback and hardcover libary, but I've gotten spoiled. I LIKE my ebooks.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the links for the e-books!!!!!!!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Anybody want a copy of " hell I was there " I recently found a 2nd to me copy. Ive read it a couple of times . I would offer it up ,its a hard cover w a small snag in the slip cover. Outdoor life edition,6th reprint 1989. Just a little more than the print and bind price and shipping.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Mold
    Hey There! I was wondering if there is any way you could forward that pdf to me if you still have it? I've been looking everywhere and have gotten no luck. The link above no longer exists . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    You should see what an original "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross use to bring on Ebay...
    I found out. I borrowed it. While reading it, I knocked a glass of water over and destroyed it. That hurt!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Anybody want a copy of " hell I was there " I recently found a 2nd to me copy. Ive read it a couple of times . I would offer it up ,its a hard cover w a small snag in the slip cover. Outdoor life edition,6th reprint 1989. Just a little more than the print and bind price and shipping.
    I do!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast