RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: This is why I like PC'd boolits

OK I want to apologize to the op if I hi jacked this thread.

And I wasn't making a challenge more of a open offer.

I know how much work you put into each shot.
    A lot of you state " until I see whatever results" you won't try it or just bash it.

I have a shooting buddy who will only shoot copper jacket.

Nothing wrong with it.

Your right I don't shoot bullseye or for moa. I shoot for fun.

The offer is still open if you want to give a PC boolit a shot "pun intended"

BTW as for the put up or shutup I was quoting tomme boy story post #8 on this thread.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    You probably already know this, but some out there might not be familiar: If you want PC on the bases, be sure to use BBDT. That method gives you a good OVERALL coat, even on the base. Although PC on the base is NOT a substitute for a good Cu GC, it may give a little protection, but not much. With ESPC, since you spray them sitting on the NSAF, you will have bare bottoms, same as with grease lubed boolits, sans GC. If your higher velocity dictates a GC, use one and do not rely on PC for gas checking. I put mine on AFTER PC'ing....they snap on tight and the push-thru die really seats them tight.

bangerjim
    The 458 will get GC, the 44mag for my DE can have an exposed nose (sit base up). I'm not too worried as many jacketed factory loads have exposed bases, the repair rep told me most issues were from lead shaving off while the bullet passes the gas port.

Banned

What do you want me to put up? OK?

Here is a 25 round group at 100 yds with not even trying. This was right in a row. No waiting other than reloading. No sorting of the boolits nothing. Powder thrown from a hopper and not checked.

This one measured in at 0.91" at 100 yds. Lee 155gr SKS boolit.

Here is 45.1's 180gr SIL boolit with 31 gr of 4895. 0.65" 100 yds

Here it is shooting a Jacketed bullet. 7 rounds 0.31" 100 yds.

If it doesn't shoot under 1" I get rid of it. And that is with cast. With jacketed, it better be under 1/2"

So Monkey, go back over to AR15.com and stay there. You don't have a clue to what it takes to get were most of us are at. I am still learning and I listen to to most here. You?? not a chance. The powder coating can't be applied even enough to make them shoot better than regular cast. So put up or shut up with you PC. 10 yds with a pistol is childs play.

Love Life
    Oh snap!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes when you throw down a gauntlet it gets picked up and slaps you in the face.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

The thing is, most of the ones posting here are way better at this than I am. Run, Btroj, Love, Bullshop just some of the ones that have posted here. There are others that are even better than all of us. I am out to shoot and have fun doing it. That is why I do minimal prep work. But I make every effort when casting to make sure I am as consistent as possible. PC just is not that consistent yet. For pistols it is working. But I shoot rifles farther than 50 yds so it is not for me.

Oh, I'm not bragging, you called me out

Love Life
    I remember the good old days (like 2012) when 25 yards was still the standard distance for testing and reporting on handgun accuracy. 20 yds was also acceptable.

100 yds was still the standard distance for testing rifle accuracy.

The good old days.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well Well Well that was a lot of reading since my last post. The point I was trying to make is each person will have to test for himself no one can prove what will work for everyone. I understand the offer to PC some bullets so the person can test them in his own firearm using his own reloading methods which is a great offer.
    Last edited by RP; 08-11-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: statement being taken the as not intended
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Well Well Well that was a lot of reading since my last post. The point I was trying to make is each person will have to test for himself no one can prove what will work for everyone. I understand the offer to PC some bullets so the person can test them in his own firearm using his own reloading methods which is a great offer.
    But lets keep this on the high road for those that just want to talk about how good lube is over PC they are in the wrong section.
    The coatings and alternatives section?
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Again you all keep taking my comments out of context.

This is my fault for using a dam phone for my posts. I get in a rush.

Tomme boy

I was referfreing to your Story. You commented put up or shut up in your story.

I liked it. So sue me.

And.
    Great shooting.

As I only own 1rifel a 30-30 Winchester model 94 1976.

And I have only shot at a 6 inch gong at 100 yards resting on a range bag. It goes bang /gong I am happy.

I personally don't care for the AR platform.
    I had my fill of them in the Army.

You are all correct. No one can guarantee a .001 coating all around when it comes to ESPC.

Don't fix it if it not broke.

I appluad you guys who shoot those groups.

I only get annoyed when someone bashes PC right out the gate. We need testers with the data. I can't do it I don't have the right guns

But I do have a espsc machine for harbor freight. And I'm willing to PC some for some one who is willing OE wanting to give it a try.

We theorize the accuracy with be on par with "most" cast booloits with traditional lube.

That being said Im tired of defending myself.

You are bashing me and misinterpreting what I type for no other reason then to hate on powder coating.

I'll go back to shooting my 9mm and 45 acp

Y'all have a great day.

OK tomme boy

My bad you said "bet me or shutup"

I had to go back and re read you op.

I still stand that I liked your story.

Banned

The way it came out you were the one that were calling out. So I'm sorry for what I have posted towards you. The internet is hard to get ones point across. All it takes is a autocorrect feature and everything is messed up. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the work you guys are doing, but sometimes the way we tell how we feel about something or how we see it, is just does not come out right.

Take it with a grain of salt on how some of us act.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    It is good news that this is working so well for your needs but I have to question part of your statement in, """"Accuracy is just as good or better than lubed boolits,""""
    I see this same statement from different folks whose names here seem new to me and so possibly new to either shooting boolits and or casting them.
    In the past year or so there has been much information offered here at CB on the subject of coating boolits. From all the honest reports reported without bias I have been unimpressed with the results compaired to conventional lubed boolits.
    I have seen no gain in potential of either accuracy or velocity. From what I have seen reported the only gain is less messy and for that trade average accuracy is being compromised. Before I can accept coating as being equal to lubing I would like to see an apples to apples comparison shot for accuracy from the same gun with the same boolit coated and lubed.
    I really hope this expressed opinion does not anger you because I have no desire to engage in argument. Its just that before I can except such a statement as more than opinion I like to see real irrefutable proof.
    Believe me as a boolit merchant I have been watching and if/when I see a potencial gain in ballistic or accuracy performance I will be offering them but thus far I have not seen that gain. On average I have seen a slight sacrifice to accuracy with coating compaired to lubing which may be acceptable with the type of shooting most folks seem to be doing with them.
    I have to respectfully disagree. I finally got around to shooting a significant number of .45-200SWC in my Sig 1911. I had factory 230gr ball round and about 50 each of lubed SWC 200gr and powder coated SWC 200gr. The load was bullseye 4.0gr seated to 1.23 OAL. Groups were all identical offhand and I could tell no discernible accuracy difference in the 3. At longer ranges, perhaps that might not still be the case, but for 10M or so, I had no trouble keeping any of the groups the size of a silver dollar. Of course this is anecdotal just as are the others and we need a full range test with a gun stand, but until someone does that, we'll never really know for certain.

I missed something with PC one time.....
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

No Silverado they need to be in the bullet lube section not here, Maybe I was not clear sometimes what I am thinking and what I type do not line up as well as it should. So let me try to make it clear, I was stating that for the ones that are pro lube and just want to stir the pot they should maybe stay over in the bullet lube section.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

No Silverado they need to be in the bullet lube section not here, Maybe I was not clear sometimes what I am thinking and what I type do not line up as well as it should. So let me try to make it clear, I was stating that for the ones that are pro lube and just want to stir the pot they should maybe stay over in the bullet lube section.
    You are right, my bad... don't know what I was thinking
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master
    I see you are a mod but if you are referring to my posts as stirring the pot then I must respectfully disagree.
    I do not yet pc because I see nothing to gain, so far. I watch and pay attention and ask questions to have enough information to weigh the balance and so far the scale is tipping in favor of lubed boolits.
    I want to stay in touch with any improvements that may occur and can not do that if I stay out of these discussions. If any improvements are made that will tip the scales in favor of PC I will be interested in offering PC to my currently only lubed boolit offerings.
    Nothing has been said at least by me that should have been offensive to anyone. If anyone has been offended by anything that has been said at least by me then those being offended are very sensitive and maybe not right for open discussion containing a different opinion than theirs.
    Maybe they could ask Willie for a separate sub forum that only allows posting if you agree with the original poster and only stay in line with his opinion. You wont learn much that way though but hay you can pat each other on the back and stroke each others egos.
    Sorry fellas but I think you will just have to get over it and put up with me and my critique on PC. I am not really trying to put it down I am just waiting for it to be lifted up so watching so that I know when/if it does.

Banned

We need a "like" button. Well said Bullshop.

How many times has a challenge been issued and a advancement in whatever the challenge was issued helped ALL of the people involved. Challenging someone is good. As others will get in on the same thing and we all benefit.

I want to shoot these, but I also don't want to waste my time trying to come up with making a new way to make them work. My spare time is short.

And it can be done, Someone just has to figure it out. I shoot the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. in 223 and 243. They are powder coated, painted or whatever. They shoot great! Someone has figured this out. Now we just have to.

Boolit Buddy
    This is really quite entertaining. I like PC.. for pistol. I use those evil J-words for rifle... I have to agree that you would need industrial grade equipment to do rifle even enough not to knock the balance off, especially on .223 (light by comparison to even pistol, so having 0.01 gr more powder on one side of the boolit is more critical). If you are going to go that far then plating would be easier for that level of evenness and likely better overall.

That said, I am a -- if I am lucky-- a twice a month at the range shooter, and I go to have fun. I know the long range guys.. it's a different sport. I like pistol better and PC is really "good enough" -- I suppose unless you are Jerry Miculek hitting a balloon at a 1/2 mile with a 9mm "moon clip" S&W.. which I have no good way of even attempting. If I did, I'd spring for a good quality J-word...

The process is still being refined. I will admit I do kinda like the airsoft BB process but there is no doubt it leaves the boolits with a more uneven coat than ESPC. I've not shot those yet, but I do suspect for plinking, it will be ok. I had some VERY accurate lubed (and not tumble lube which I found sucked, really) .. but since I was doing those by hand it took forever. If I was going to start IDPA or something, then.. honestly.. I'd get a lubrisizer. For the pistol enthusiast, weekend warrior, PC is a really good method... Peace people...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast