Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Arisaka

Boolit Master

Arisaka

I just bought an Arisaka from my son and I don't know anything about Japanese rifles. I wonder how much collector's value there is. It's pretty dirty but all the parts are there and I think it will clean up well. The mum is ground off, so I suspect that lessens the value. Does anyone other than Norma make brass for it? At over a buck a casing, this is going to be an expensive proposition if I decide to keep, because I'll have to shoot it. I paid what he paid for it, $25.00.
    Maineboy

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineboy View Post
    I just bought an Arisaka from my son and I don't know anything about Japanese rifles. I wonder how much collector's value there is. It's pretty dirty but all the parts are there and I think it will clean up well. The mum is ground off, so I suspect that lessens the value. Does anyone other than Norma make brass for it? At over a buck a casing, this is going to be an expensive proposition if I decide to keep, because I'll have to shoot it. I paid what he paid for it, $25.00.
    Which Arisaka? The Type 30, 38 or 99. First two are 6.5 Jap, the last is 7.7 Jap. Grafs has cases for both (Prvi partisan origin I think), good stuff. Ground Mum seriously reduces value. A lot of variations with these rifles. Good buy, shoot it and be happy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Which Arisaka? The Type 30, 38 or 99. First two are 6.5 Jap, the last is 7.7 Jap. Grafs has cases for both (Prvi partisan origin I think), good stuff. Ground Mum seriously reduces value. A lot of variations with these rifles. Good buy, shoot it and be happy.

It's a 7.7.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Grafs makes the brass. You can also use trimmed 30-06 brass or just resize 8X57 brass; it is a tad short in the neck but works fine otherwise.

I've not had much luck with mine with cast loads.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineboy View Post
    It's a 7.7.
    Most 7.7s respond to AA3100 with PSB filler and the Lyman 314299.

Boolit Master
    Maineboy, I have Norma 7.7 brass (got it years ago on sale from Black Hills). I also formed some from '06 which required a bit of neck trimming. The base is a tad small, but I can't tell. I've shot only cast and can not tell a difference. After firing forming I only partial FLS the brass. The biggest draw back to these neat old rifles is the four hundred and eighty-six pound trigger pull. If you can remedy THAT, they shoot pretty good. Oh, and the short stock....
    Last edited by sundog; 01-29-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

You got a good deal at $25 even if it's the end of war ones. That's what mine is. Stock spliced together, solid sights. The only good thing about mine and the fact that is in reasonable shape is it still has the mum. Some rifles had antiaircraft sights and soforth so there is allot of difference between them!
    Aim small, miss small!

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    You got a good deal at $25 even if it's the end of war ones. That's what mine is. Stock spliced together, solid sights. The only good thing about mine and the fact that is in reasonable shape is it still has the mum. Some rifles had antiaircraft sights and soforth so there is allot of difference between them!
    mooman, if by "spliced together" you mean that the lower part of the buttstock was grafted onto the upper part, you are quite correct. All Arisakas that I have ever seen are that way so smaller blanks could be used.

Y'all, properly made Arisakas are quite safe, if in good condition, right up to the end of the war. What one must look out for is the drill-purpose "rifles" that have the tangs cast integral with the (also cast) receiver. Those are dangerous to shoot with ANYTHING. Proper Arisakas have tangs that are separate pieces. As always let you favorite smith take a look at it.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Grand Master

Graf or Prvi Partisan brass is good quality, my 7.7 shoots extremely accurately
    with factory equivalent handloads and J-bullets. Haven't tried boolits yet, too
    many projects as it is. Bore is mint in mine due to being chromed, I assume
    that they all were, but don't know for sure.

Arisakas are a very strong action, used to be purposely selected when making
    a magnum rifle from a milsurp action. Safety is the stupidest design I have
    ever seen, and many don't ever discover that it exists, and even when they
    do it is so hard to put on and off that most ignore it. What were they thinking??

Stock sights are very good, and mine shoots 2" left of POA at 100 yds, almost
    unheard of in a milsurp where 6-12" high at 100 seems more the norm.

I can look up my best load if you'd like, but you are likely to find one of your
    own, I'd guess.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure that I'll keep the rifle, I'll decide after I clean it up. I was talking to a fellow who is looking for an Arisaka and he has some nice guns he might be willing to part with so there may be a trade in the future.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    Maineboy: "Cleaning it up" will further detract from it's value. There are collectors but they want rifles is as close to original condition as possible. Dirt and rust are preferable to clean and pretty.