Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unique & 170gr. Kieths

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using "OLD" Unique with the 358429 170 grain for my Blackhawks for around 30 years. My load is 7.0 grains. BUT, I'm using the last of the 24 lbs that I purchased at one time (3 cardboard drums @ 8 lbs each) and will be using "NEW" Unique at 6.5 grs for future loads. The 7.0 grain load was not used in my S&W model 19. It was fed the 6.5 grain load in magnum cases or 5.0 grains in 38 special cases.

As someone said in an earlier post, start at 6.0 and work up to maximum. Better than starting at maximum and finding out your specific gun didn't get the memo that it was supposed to handle that load and like it.

Boolit Master
    The published differences may be due to different firearms used in the development. I think S&W cylinders are shorter than Ruger's, so check the OAL when comparing load data.

Boolit Master
    I think with unique it is about 15-20kpsi but i could stand to be corrected
    Not having any way to measure chamber pressure, I'm in not position to confirm or deny. But I BELIEVE that you made a good estimate of where, on the pressure spectrum, Unique burns really well. I know that the powder gets a bad rep for burning dirty, because too many try to use it for light target loads, better fueled by Bullseye or Red Dot.
    For the 170gr. bullet of interest, I think I wouldn't start with a higher charge than 6.0/Unique. Even then, I think I'd be inclined to err on the side of "longer" with cartridge O.A.L.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 09-30-2020 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Typos
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    FWIW, the Lyman load data for the 358429 bullet in .357 Magnum is based on the bullet being deeply seated and crimped over the front band, as is necessary for the S&W 27/28 and some Ruger guns. If you are able to do so, crimp into the crimp groove and pressure/velocity will be slightly lower.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I shoot this boolit over 5 grains of Unique or 4.5 grains of Titegroup in my K and L frames...and crimp on the crimp groove. I don’t have a chronograph, but they are satisfying to shoot.

Not recommending, just relaying what works for me.
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

I would recommend 6 grains of Unique for the Keith bullet. You may be get a touch more velocity pushing it but you gain little. 1100 FPS is about the optimal velocity of a solid cast boolit and depending upon barrel length that is about what 6 grains of Unique will deliver. I get just under 1100 from my 4" M19 and just over 1100 FPS from my 5" 686. It is the best all around load I can think of for 357. It offers ample penetration...will most likely perforate a deer yet it won't explode small game like a HP will. Accurate and easy to shoot without violence even in mid weight revolvers. I used to have a 60-18 that weighted only 25 OZ and this was one of the few loads with the Keith Bullet I liked. I love it in my M19.

Boolit Master
    I just shot an Accurate 36-170T today over 8.7 gr. of HS-6. 1050 fps, accurate and clean in my 5" 27-2. 12 BHN powder coated.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 10-24-2020 at 02:38 AM.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy
    I have limited experience with the 358429, but have used it for 40+ years, always in .38 spec. cases. A modified Keith load of 12grs of 2400 is accurate in my M-28. My attempts at a .38 spec. load convinced me that the faster the 358429 is pushed the more accurate it becomes. Information only, Shooting the 2400 load in my M-60 is surprisingly unpleasant.

Shooting the 2400 load in my M-60 is surprisingly unpleasant
    Doesn't surprise me at all!

The 60 is good for 38+P type loads or a little more, not anything even near modern max loads with heavy bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    That was me stating the obvious curioushooter, as far as the gun being "good" for modern max loads with heavy bullets, I would tire of it before the revolver.

178gr NOE KEITH

4” GP100

5.5 unique 863fps
    6.0 unique 943fps
    ———————————-
    5.5 win231 889
    6.0 win231 953
    —————————
    14gr 2400 1220fps
    1271 5” 686

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Grand Master

I'm going to give you the Load that Elmer Keith (it's spelled Keith not Kieth) has given in his book "Sixgun Cartridges & Loads" .
    .357 Magnum
    The Keith bullet listed , Lyman # 358429 (170 gr. SWC) , bullet diameter .358 .
    Maximum charge 13.5 grains of 2400 . My recommended charge is 13.0 grains 2400 .
    Note , charges have been adjusted for modern solid head case construction .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I'm going to give you the Load that Elmer Keith (it's spelled Keith not Kieth) has given in his book "Sixgun Cartridges & Loads" .
    .357 Magnum
    The Keith bullet listed , Lyman # 358429 (170 gr. SWC) , bullet diameter .358 .
    Maximum charge 13.5 grains of 2400 . My recommended charge is 13.0 grains 2400 .
    Note , charges have been adjusted for modern solid head case construction .

Gary
    I agree!! 13-2400 is extremely accurate for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12