MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unique & 170gr. Kieths

Unique & 170gr. Kieths

I'm looking for a good load for 357mag using unique & 170gr Kieth bullets.
    Ive searched & come up with nothing solid.
    I was going to try 7.5grs. for a start.

Boolit Master

Somebody will be along with some better data, but 7.5 of Unique is too hot for a starting load.

Boolit Master
    My 1971 Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists for the Lyman 358429 (170 gr)

Start: Unique 5.5 gr @ 1050 fps and Max: Unique 7.5 gr. @ 1340 fps

By contrast, the Lyman 45th Ed (copyright 1970) lists for the Lyman 358429 (170 gr)

Start: Unique 4.0 gr @ 739 fps and Max: 7.0 gr @ 1157 fps.

40+ year old data.

Boolit Grand Master

5gr Unique under that boolit will bring you close to 900fps. I would not go over 7gr of Unique and approach that with a Black Hawk only. If you want something hotter with lower pressure H110 would work better.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Maybe I'll start at 7gr. then & see how they shoot.
    And yes I'll be using a Blackhawk.

The Unique of today may be a bit faster then the older lots. Even though the Blackhawk is very strong, I would start w/ a lower charge then 7 grains. Even if the pressure is okay, you may get some base fusing of the boolit.

Boolit Master

If you want to run that bullet at magnum velocities forget Unique. Max loads of 296/H110 and 2400 will give you an honest 1200-1300 fps with excellent accuracy using that bullet. Max loads of Unique will get you in the 1100 fps range and I would be very surprised if there was any accuracy. Unique IMO is a .357 mag mid range powder.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

No not looking for magnum vellocity. 1000 to 1100 fps

It will make a bit of difference if you are seating the boolit to crimp into the crimp groove, or over the front drive band

In 38 cases, elmer liked about 5 gr if i recall. If you seat the 358429 to crimp over front drive band, the capacity will be similar...so that should be a good load. Or, just use specially marked 38 cases for use only in 357 guns.

If you crimp in the proper groove, you will have room for a bit more powder before the intended pressures are reached

At a certain point, it's not about blowing up the gun, but rather working within the ideal pressure windows for a given powder. Accuracy and safety should both occur within the window.

I think with unique it is about 15-20kpsi but i could stand to be corrected

In any event, you are looking at good solid target or small game loads, 950-1000 fps or so. Reaching for more will probably not satisfy, but hey, i am no elmer keith

Safe shootin

Boolit Master
    I will second the advice to start lower than 7.0grs of Unique. What you are proposing to do is start at the max listed load and work up, which isn't a good idea even if you are using a Blackhawk. I'm not saying it won't be safe, because I expect it will, but why take the gamble when you can work up safely and KNOW instead of HOPE?
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy
    6.5 gr of Unique with a 173gr Keith SWC shoots very well for me out of a 6" GP100 and is pretty much the speed you targeted. I load them at 1.635 OAL with a very heavy crimp.

Boolit Buddy
    I load the H&G #43, 173 gr Keith, with 5.5gn blue dot in 38 special and its a highly accurate round. Be careful in loading this bullet in the 357 because if you crimp in the crimp groove it will be to long for the cylinder since it was designed for the 38 special. H&G designed the #51 mold, I believe that's the correct number, which is the #43 with the nose clipped a little so it can be used in the 357 but its 160 gr.

Boolit Master

No not looking for magnum vellocity. 1000 to 1100 fps
    Sorry, I thought by your original post of starting at 7.5 grs that's what you wanted. A 1000 FPS with Unique is easy, somewhere in the 6-7gr. range.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

The reason I'm going with Unique is I have 3lbs of it. But I was able to pick up a pound of Blue Dot about a week ago. I was gonna see if my buddy would load me up some 12ga. Magnums with it. Any ideas on some loads with the Blue Dot & the 170's?
    Ive been looking for a couple pounds of 2400 forever now. It's nowhere to be found.
    I already have a lot of jacket bullets loaded up with H110 already.

Boolit Grand Master
    Check the Alliant website. Or buy a current loading manual.

Robert

Thanks for the advise Robert but alliant's site didn't have what I wanted & I have about every current manual made & none have any loads listed for a 170 & unique.
    I was able to find a load for a 168gr. Cast for BlueDot that I'm sure would work. And did a google search & found that a lot of people are saying they've had bad results using BlueDot & 357's.
    I'm not being lazy, I'm just looking for opinions & others experience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheap870 View Post
    Any ideas on some loads with the Blue Dot & the 170's?
    Grabbed an old 2008 Alliant reloading pamphlet off the loading bench, double checked with a 2010 Alliant pamphlet. Also looked at the Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide online. All 3 Alliant sources show the same 170 grain Blue Dot 357 Magnum load of 9.4 grains max.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...rs/index.aspx&
    Alliant Data:
    357Mag 170 gr. Speer GDSP 1.590 OAL CCI #500 primer
    9.4 grains of Blue Dot =1002 FPS (reduce 10% for a start load)

From the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition:
    357Mag 170 gr. Lyman 358429 1.553 OAL CCI#550 4 inch barrel universal receiver.
    Start 8.3 grains of Blue Dot = 970 FPS (18,400 C.U.P)
    Max 10.0 grains of Blue Dot =1233FPS (39,200 C.U.P)
    NOTE: the Lyman 4th edition cast bullet handbook does not show any Unique loads for a heavy 170 or 180 grain boolit.

This is going back a ways, but a 1992 Hercules reloading pamphlet shows:
    357Mag 170 gr. FMC 1.585 OAL 6.8 gr. of UNIQUE = 1,175 FPS (33,600 PSI)
    357Mag 170 gr. FMC 1.585 OAL 9.7 gr. of Blue Dot = 1,310 FPS (33,800 PSI)
    NOTE: that the year is 1992, and this is older Hercules and not Alliant Data.
    Reduce by 10% for a start load.

In my experience, Blue Dot does not require the use of a magnum primer.

Newer Alliant Blue Dot should not be used with light 125 grain bullets in 357 magnum.

Alliant issued a warning back around 2008, and pulled the 125 grain 357 Magnum JHP data, and the 41 Magnum Blue Dot load data as well. Apparently Blue Dot had the potential to generate higher than intended pressures under certain conditions in those two calibers

Blue Dot performs quite well with heavy bullets/boolits (158 grains or more) in 357 Magnum however.

From the Alliant Powder website:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/safety/safetynotice.htm

Safety Notice

Alliant Powder periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that our recommended recipes have not changed over time.

During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:

Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).

Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (ALL bullet weights).

Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master

I have used this load for years in my .357 mags; 170 gr #358429 cast ACWW, 7 gr. Unique, .357 Mag case, seated to crimp groove, (Use in Smith Model 19 and Smith Model 686).

Velocity from my Model 19 4 inch barrel, 1144 fps.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheap870 View Post
    The reason I'm going with Unique is I have 3lbs of it..
    I too have invested in Unique and I'm working on a 170 grain bullet load for my Rossi 357 rifle. For my gun, 6.5 grains has been getting on the warm side. I'm using a Lee 170 grain bullet, and Felix World Famous Lube is working better than LLA.

Boolit Master

QuickLoad

6.5 Unique @ 33547 psi SAMMI max @ 35000 psi
    6" barrel 1420 fps (I doubt it)

Good-Luck...BCB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast