WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming up for air

Love Life

Coming up for air

I have completed my cross country trip to the sunny state of Georgia (home of ebola).

I bought a house on the cheap and have been painting, doing yard work, etc.

Getting the little girl enrolled in school.

Bought my Georgia Outdoor Recreation Pass (GORP) so I can shoot on the king's land out here.

I've been working on my south Georgia wave (swatting gnats for those who aren't in the know).

No shooting, casting, or reloading has occurred. I've been busy doing the above and unpacking!! Sure sucks. Heck, I'm so backed up on honey do's that I ordered some plated bullets from Xtreme. Their prices are so good I may even call it quits on casting 9mm and 45 acp since my time is worth something to me.

The family is doing well, we are happy, and we are really just looking forward to enjoying ourselves here.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Glad to hear all are well. Carry on,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Good for you! Glad to hear things are going well for you. How does your new duty station appear to be?

Boolit Master
    Good to hear you are settling in.
    ph4570

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you had a safe trip and things are going as well as can be expected. When spare time is scarce store-bought boolits and even ammo look pretty good. In time this too shall pass.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Didn't know you were moving. Glad you're getting settled in.
    I've shot plated in the 1911 before. They did very well.
    Hope the "little girl" got a good school. From what I've read, they seem to be either quite good or quite bad, not too much in between.
    Also hope you got a big shop and/or a big man cave in this deal.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Glad to hear you and your family made it safe and sound LL.

Boolit Master
    LL ARE YOU DELUSIONAL! If you go to the dark side what will you do with all of the spare time you will have. PAINT. And how about not PC any more.
    Someone quick get a 2x4. Some one else call 45 Nut to do concealing

Boolit Buddy
    So, you drove yourself? Tell us about the details of the trip. I'm very interested to hear as I'm considering about cross country trip.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Thanks for the update.

Now we can rest easier knowing you and yours are safe in the land of gnats.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Porterhouse View Post
    So, you drove yourself? Tell us about the details of the trip. I'm very interested to hear as I'm considering about cross country trip.
    What details would you like to hear? Let me know and I'll do my best to get them typed here.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, if you're swatting be know you're not local. We either ignore them or blow them away from our face when they're bad enough. LOL

lets see, you must be south of Warner Robbins if gnats are that bad. Where'd you end up?

Glad you made it safely with the family. The honey dos will never go away but hopefully minim olives so that you can shoot. If you got a GORP you must be planning on shooting on one of the WMA ranges. Be careful. I always carry when on the range. We've had a few incidents over the years of theft and robberies.

Also check out GON magazine.

Vendor Sponsor

Oh the promised land .. land of gnats and ticks
    at least the hunting will be good if you are into that..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Love Life
    Thanks for the advice on the range as I will be shooting on a WMA range while here. I will head to the courthouse tomorrow or Monday to start my CCW permit process since I have to have a weapons permit to even open carry. Speaking of open carry, it seems to be pretty popular where I am so that is nice. Mebbe I'll strap on the Glock 21 with one of those super long magazines and a competition belt rig with magazines. Well...that's a bit much, but it is kind of cool.

When I go visit the in laws I have plenty of private property to shoot on. If I pop over to Huntsville to visit my family then I can shoot at Larry's or Blue and Grey.

Gnats...man these things are pretty annoying, but no big deal.

So far it is a beautiful area with many live oaks and Spanish moss. I have 3 large live oaks in my back yard and will be putting a tire swing in one. The river is about 5 miles down the road from my house. I look longingly at my catfishing rigs as I continue to paint, do yard work, unpack, and put my reloading area back together.

Looks like there are 7 gun shops in my area and I plan to darken their doors next week to see what is available.

All in all I will do fine here. I haven't checked into the new command yet, but I bet it will be more or less the same as my previous commands I've been to. Show up, do work, receive praise, execute orders elsewhere.

As for the trip out here I went through Nevada, picked up the 40 in Arizona (terrible road), cruised on through New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, and some other states. It was a nice drive with very little delay I the way of road work or traffic. Nevada and Arizona had pretty territory, but New Mexico trumped them all for eye candy when it came to rock formations and stuff.

We hit a huge storm (worst I ever drove through and dad says the same since he was driving behind me) about 100 miles out of Amarillo, TX. After Amarillo there was really nothing of interest to report, and that leg of the trip took us from Amarillo, TX to Huntsville, AL!! Things started to get boring after leaving Texas so not really much to report on the leg from Texas to Alabama.

I spent some time going around my old stomping grounds in my home town and had some Washington Market BBQ sandwiches. Mr. Greg was chatting a man up and apologized to me for having to wait like 20 seconds to pay for my food. I said "No worries!! I've been waiting 4 years for these sandwiches (true story)!!" I then went to one of my favorite gunshops and played with a CZ. It felt good in the hand, but the man had a couple Colt's in the case for a good price so that means no CZ for me (sigh and shrug).

The school my daughter will be going to seems very clean and the staff was very friendly during today's orientation.

I have a 2 car garage (attached) so my reloading will happen in there. There is a large storage shed in the back that is ready for power that I'll do my casting in. The shed needs some help (new roof piece and some new boards in a couple places in the floor), but is otherwise ready for me to cast in as I strip the guts, insulate it, and clean the bejesus out of it...and I'm sticking a window unit AC in it!!

I'd like a bigger shed with a pad, but I need to nurse my bank roll back to health a little before I drop the cheese on that.

Whew!! I covered a lot and let me know if I left anything out!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Thanks for the advice on the range as I will be shooting on a WMA range while here. I will head to the courthouse tomorrow or Monday to start my CCW permit process since I have to have a weapons permit to even open carry. Speaking of open carry, it seems to be pretty popular where I am so that is nice. Mebbe I'll strap on the Glock 21 with one of those super long magazines and a competition belt rig with magazines. Well...that's a bit much, but it is kind of cool.

When I go visit the in laws I have plenty of private property to shoot on. If I pop over to Huntsville to visit my family then I can shoot at Larry's or Blue and Grey.

Gnats...man these things are pretty annoying, but no big deal.

So far it is a beautiful area with many live oaks and Spanish moss. I have 3 large live oaks in my back yard and will be putting a tire swing in one. The river is about 5 miles down the road from my house. I look longingly at my catfishing rigs as I continue to paint, do yard work, unpack, and put my reloading area back together.

Looks like there are 7 gun shops in my area and I plan to darken their doors next week to see what is available.

All in all I will do fine here. I haven't checked into the new command yet, but I bet it will be more or less the same as my previous commands I've been to. Show up, do work, receive praise, execute orders elsewhere.

As for the trip out here I went through Nevada, picked up the 40 in Arizona (terrible road), cruised on through New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, and some other states. It was a nice drive with very little delay I the way of road work or traffic. Nevada and Arizona had pretty territory, but New Mexico trumped them all for eye candy when it came to rock formations and stuff.

We hit a huge storm (worst I ever drove through and dad says the same since he was driving behind me) about 100 miles out of Amarillo, TX. After Amarillo there was really nothing of interest to report, and that leg of the trip took us from Amarillo, TX to Huntsville, AL!! Things started to get boring after leaving Texas so not really much to report on the leg from Texas to Alabama.

I spent some time going around my old stomping grounds in my home town and had some Washington Market BBQ sandwiches. Mr. Greg was chatting a man up and apologized to me for having to wait like 20 seconds to pay for my food. I said "No worries!! I've been waiting 4 years for these sandwiches (true story)!!" I then went to one of my favorite gunshops and played with a CZ. It felt good in the hand, but the man had a couple Colt's in the case for a good price so that means no CZ for me (sigh and shrug).

The school my daughter will be going to seems very clean and the staff was very friendly during today's orientation.

I have a 2 car garage (attached) so my reloading will happen in there. There is a large storage shed in the back that is ready for power that I'll do my casting in. The shed needs some help (new roof piece and some new boards in a couple places in the floor), but is otherwise ready for me to cast in as I strip the guts, insulate it, and clean the bejesus out of it...and I'm sticking a window unit AC in it!!

I'd like a bigger shed with a pad, but I need to nurse my bank roll back to health a little before I drop the cheese on that.

Whew!! I covered a lot and let me know if I left anything out!

Well, let me think......did you leave anything out......Hmmmmmm.
    Well other than blowing right through Arkansas without so much as waving the finger at your gunsmith or Kanitz-Get-Right, not much!
    What, did you have the kids pee out the window?

Seriously, good to know you got there in one piece and are getting settled in.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Love Life
    I would have loved to have stopped, but it was a hard push from Amarillo to Huntsville. Speaking of gunsmith, I have a box of parts here and a long tubish thing that needs to screw on the short tubish thing with a handle and be bedded in a stock. Know anybody I can mail it to?

Boolit Grand Master

Sho nuff. I got a large spinny thing here that can make it happen for you. LOL!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Welcome back to GA. You got here right in time for the cool season......
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Glad you made it OK.

Dave

Love Life
    I'm becoming a regular Mr. Fix it. Fixed the washer, replaced sink strainer baskets, filled in nail holes and patched dents/divets. Next up is ripping up shrubs and getting rid of pine straw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast