RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Beeswax

Banned

Beeswax

I am in the process of cleaning some beeswax that I got from a friend. I have a block about 8" x8" x 1". It is a nice pale yellow color. About how much wax is that, and just how hard is beeswax (brittle) when it is pure? Thanks Kurt

If you're thinking of making bullet lube, don't clean it much. I don't even get all the bee parts out of mine before it hits the double boiler to mix with whatever else.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Ask randyrat....he is the beeswax king!

I have 30+ pounds of it in 2# cakes and it is not that hard. In fact the only time it is hard is in the winter! I had a 1/2# hunk in my back loading shop and when the temp was at 92F B4 I turned on the AC, it was like putty.....very soft and sticky.

If you want a hard wax, get a hunk of carnauba! And no, it is NOT that red wax on the outside of those little cheese balls as others on here have stated. It is a VERY hard light yellow wax...I get it in flake form from professional wood finishing companies for making my antique wood finishes.

bangerjim

Banned
    Sounds like I am about ready to make some Bens Red and give it a try. Thanks Guys

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Ask randyrat....he is the beeswax king!

I have 30+ pounds of it in 2# cakes and it is not that hard. In fact the only time it is hard is in the winter! I had a 1/2# hunk in my back loading shop and when the temp was at 92F B4 I turned on the AC, it was like putty.....very soft and sticky.

If you want a hard wax, get a hunk of carnauba! And no, it is NOT that red wax on the outside of those little cheese balls as others on here have stated. It is a VERY hard light yellow wax...I get it in flake form from professional wood finishing companies for making my antique wood finishes.

bangerjim
    My Beeswax is quite hard ???
    of course I live in Minnesota, so far this summer, I have had the AC on for about 4 days (in early July). It was 60º here this morning
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Keep it a 90-95F for several hours and see what you have!!!!!!!!!! Very soft and pliable. That is why all those greasy lubes people brew up are usually of minimal use down here in the very hot climates. Never a problem with powder coating!

At normal room temp (~75F) it is "stiff" but not hard. Hard is pure Carnauba wax.

bangerjim

Boolit Master

Your talking about 35 ounces= .555 ounce per cubic inch
    beeswax is 28.82 cubic inches per pound
    8x8x1=64 cubic inches X .555=35.52 ounces or just over a kilo/ 2.22 lbs