Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Getting rid of vampires!

Boolit Man

Getting rid of vampires!

How do you guys deal with mosquitos? Any tips on keeping them out of camp? Been thinking about getting like a million citronella candles and setting up a series of rings around the camp at different heights and distances because mosquitos are definitely the worst thing about the outdoors.

Thermocell!'

Basicly a small handheld (Can be set down, strapped to chair, etc) device that uses disposable propane cartridges that lights and heats a small pad infused with repellent.

I live on the border of Northern Minnesota and North Dakota and trust me, we raise our squeeters big and MEAN up here.

Fire it up and within 30 seconds no more bugs.

They are not necessarily what I'd call cheap, but they shouldn't break your wallet either.
    26$ and change at Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/ThermaCELL-Mos.../dp/B0031ESIVK

My wife and I have used these for fishing and camping for the last 4-5 years and I won't go fishing without it.

Boolit Master

The ThermaCELL rig was a long time a coming but it will do the job. I've tried several dozen gadgets over the past 40 years advertised to keep mosquitos away and every one was a failure - ThermaCell is the real deal.

If using it outdoors you need to put it upwind of you about 6 feet. If within a makeshift structure like an A-frame or a sun shelter set-up with plastic tarp sides (can't be fully enclosed - open on at least one end for air circulation as the smoke in an enclosed area, such as a tent, will give you nasty headaches) - a couple units in there will keep the mosquitos out - however, when the units are shut down and you're out & about, those shelters will fill up with mosquitos & blackflies so you need to save your old ThermaCell pads, as lighting them up and then blowing out the flame will create a light smoke that will drive the bugs from the shelter in about 20 to 30 seconds and then your ThermaCell units will keep them at bay. If you don't light up the old pads and smoke them out - it'll take the ThermaCell units a good half hour or longer to chase the bugs out - just a tip.

Now for the best bug repellant - you'll be hard pressed to find anything that works as well as Bushman - it's not sold or allowed to be imported commercially in the USA right now, as it's not EPA approved and the big gun on the repellant market will see to it that it never makes it to our shores - but it's the best I've even used and I've used the 100% deet VN version and the 100% Repel deet that is suppose to last for 8 to 12 hours. Ya, right - maybe somewhere but not in the damp outdoors where sportsmen venture.

Bushman will keep all bugs at bay for 6 to 8 hours in conditions where you are sweating and the bugs are thick - if you're just walking or sitting around and not sweating from work or the heat - then expect 12 to 16 hours of total protection. It's made and sold in Australia and only contains 85% deet and doesn't give you a tinny taste in your mouth like the dope bottles handed out in Vietnam and it doesn't melt plastic either!!! Some just put it on their clothes and said it works - I haven't tried that method. I obtain my Bushman from Australia when people visit there and I've got a person who will send it in the mail, if need be.

Boolit Man
    I'm not expecting north dakota levels of air assault here. The thermocell thing seems legit, I will have to pick a couple up to keep me from being eaten alive. I think I'll put one near the entrance to our tent to keep them out of there, and one near where we will be sitting outside in the early evening.

Bug repellent seems to work just fine here in Oregon, but I don't want to have to apply it just to sit outside hahaha.

Boolit Master
    Try a small smokey fire. Mosquitos dont bite me purely out of respect, no see ums on the other hand is another story.
    Lab

Boolit Grand Master

Another vote for the Thermacell. Unfortunately they don't work well when on the move or if it's windy. It's the only thing that works for keeping them at bay in the Poconos. When I was a kid we used to burn "punks". I'm assuming the EPA banned them. The old bags didn't list the ingredients. But they worked great when you could get them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Try a small smokey fire. Mosquitos dont bite me purely out of respect, no see ums on the other hand is another story. Lab
    Ya, well the bugs around the rest of the globe won't give you any respect and a small smokey fire drives me away as well!!!

ThermaCell and Bushman are the real deal and those nasty no see ums stay away from both as well. If you have any wind at all, you need to put the ThermaCell up-wind of your location, otherwise you'll have a few visitors.

If you can get your hands on a tube of Bushman - you'll be one happy person on a bug infested portage or wading through a bog in Alaska. If you've ever seen Caribou hunters in the bogs of Alaska with their bug suits and helmets - well, that is almost a must but Bushman will keep them off as well, the only problem is when they boil up if you don't have everything closed up they will boil up into those openings and raise hell with you.

Thermacell: $24. 48hr refill pack: $20 = $48 for 96hrs of protection + $20 per 48hrs thereafter.
    Deep Woods Off dry spray: $7 for 96hrs of protection. $7 for every 96hrs thereafter.

Boolit Master

I guess it all depends on where you venture. Deep Woods off just doesn't cut it around serious bug populations found in NE Minnesota, northern canada lake country and other select spots hunters & fishermen venture.

Deep Woods is usually fine in most areas as most areas aren't heavily infested with mosquitos and no see ums. Last June while getting back to our fishing area in Northern Ontario, Canada, we came upon a couple fellows from Wisc. that spent a little time tearing apart a beaver dam (they thought the water was a little too high for their Chevy PU) and their arms were a sight to see as they only had Deep Woods Off for a repellent. We had Bushman on and the bugs were swarming around us but none landed while they were swating and waving their caps around. We shared a little Bushman and they advised they would get a case of Bushman by hook or crook before they ventured up there again - they are now believers.

Every year in the fall, the moose and bear hunters stop in every now & then to chat and share a little adult beverage and they are always amased that our cook shack is totally bug free due to the ThermaCells.

As for the cost - well, eating and playing cards in your t-shirt and enjoying good food and drink, bug free, in a bug infested enviroment is worth something - as in the years past we always had to come in early, eat and get our arses in the tent fighting with just a few hundred mosquitos before the sun started setting to get away from the tens of thousands that come visiting around sunset. - For those that have been there, they know of what I speak.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
    mosquitos are definitely the worst thing about the outdoors.
    I'm one of those people that mosquitoes fly from miles around to find. Still I don't think they are anywhere near as bad as chiggers.

Anybody use that permethrin stuff on their clothes and tents?

Boolit Man
    I live in the Pacific NW, we don't get chiggers.

Carpenter Bee loads work well here in TN.LOL! Have heard the Thermocell does great, never tried yet.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

http://oletimewoodsman.com/

Used this stuff for years as a kid growing up in Boy Scouts. Spent time in upstate NY, Vermont, Maine, WV, Ohio, KY...it worked EVERYWHERE. It seemed to disappear for a few years, then on a whim, I googled it one day, and they are apparently back in business. I ordered some.... The smell is not quite as putrid as I remember, but it still seems to work quite well. I'm in SC now....and still swear by it!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Another vote for thermocell....

Here is the swamps of Florida mosquitos fly over and you would think it was the carrier pigeons of old returned...im talking biblical plague stuff. To think of all the years I used nets (nothing like the sound of a hundred of them stuck in it), deep woods off, swatting, cussing, headed back to the truck...and none of these made the problem livable without testing your sanity.

Thermocell is definitly the real deal and I would not consider heading into the Florida woods in warm weather without it. When you are a mile deep into the swamp and literally surrounded by thousands of mosquitoes you will know that the 20 dollars spent for the unit and the dollar or so per eight hour upkeep is the best money you ever spent!
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 08-15-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

I once did a canoe trip in the everglades... I'm not sure I'd shoot some of those bugs with a 20ga.. it might annoy them into attacking...

I'm pretty sure If I ever go there again I'll have 200 rounds of 30cal AP ammo...

Having the Air Force on call with Napalm might be needed...

Boolit Master

Do yourself a favor. You deserve it.

THERMACELL

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deliverator View Post
    I live in the Pacific NW, we don't get chiggers.
    Consider yourself very lucky. There is nothing and I mean nothing worse than chiggers.
    I've been eaten up by mosquitoes and it sucks but chiggers will make you suffer for days, sometimes weeks.

Boolit Buddy

I just spray sugar water on the wife .
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Boolit Buddy
    Drink copious quantities of alcohol. One bite and the little buggers die.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Perma-Banned
    Thermacell and eat plenty of garlic!! Feed a dog a bulb of garlic and fleas jump ship! Same deal with humans eating garlic, the little fellas don't like it