Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boolit stuck in my point form die

Boolit Bub

Question Boolit stuck in my point form die

Need some suggestions for removing a boolit from my point form die. Like an idiot, I even managed to push the ejector pin out the top of the boolit. It took some work, but I did get the ejector pin out. I have the die soaking in pb blaster right now.

I did see BT Sniper post (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-BTSniper-dies). However, I have a Corbin press with dies and would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,
    CM

Boolit Master

I had the same problem with RCE dies.
    Make sure you get the ejection punch out of the bullet, add lube, put a little blob on the base of the bullet, push the bullet in farther, yah, why would you push it in farther when you want it out? because it forces lube between the die and bullet, and closes up the point and gives you something to push on with the ejection pin. Re install the ejection pin and gently push on the bullet, you may have to repeat these steps several times to get the bullet to move
    Work slowly and gently.
    I had one stuck and I had to give up for the night, so I added lube by way of the bullet base, and a peice of lead shot to push the bullet in, then pushed up to the bullet with the ejection punch, then used several rubber bands to keep pressure on the bullet, next morning the bullet was out of the die.
    Be gentle, be patient, keep working it.
    The screw idea is way to scary for me. And the ejection pin did not come through the center of the base.
    Corbin will get them out for free, no idea how long it take them to get to it, I was not about to wait another 10 months for it to come to the top of the "todo" list.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 08-05-2014 at 08:39 PM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticmachinery View Post
    However, I have a Corbin press with dies and would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,
    CM
    CM

A few more details of what you have and what you were trying to do would be useful. Calibre, ogive profile, ejection pin diameter, jacket, core material, base punch etc.

If you're just attempting some basic cup and core swaging with a standard set-up, clodhopper's description using lube or lead to close the meplat and have the ejector pin push off the meplat should work.

Outside of that, sit down for the first time because the colour will drain from your face in proportion to the dollars you've dropped on the point forming die; and the time you had to wait for supply. It's just part of the learning curve.
    Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projecitles

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    if you have a way to drive a screw into the base of the bullet, then put the die back in the press, then clamp some pliars on the screw head and carefully tap the pliars with a hammer... the stuck bullet will then come out every time...

i chuck the die in the lathe and center drill a hole in the base of the bullet, if you can do this it is very simple and easy...

her is a pick of what i do that works for me:

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

Boolit Master

Details, My die is 6mm, I had no lathe.
    Given a little more room, as in having a larger caliber die, the screw method has appeal.
    Center drilling the bullet base=cherry on top of whipped cream!
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    well, try to put the die in some type of vise and use an electric drill and drill out a small pilot hole, then try to use a machine screw like a 2" long 8-32 or something similar...
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

Banned

that or build something similar to a stuck case remover on a smaller scale.
    screws are pretty powerful.
    if you don't get it then your options are to send it back to the maker and have them cut it out.

Brian had mine back in about 3 anxious weeks.
    I think it works better now than before too.

When I received my Corbin press and 7mm dies, like a kid on Chrismas morning I had to see it work ( play with it ) All I managed to do was stick the very first slug that went into the point form die? After much self brow beating and using every descriptive phrase I could think of and or invent at the time. Then trying to force it furthur into the die and all the other sugestions. I sent the die back to Corbin and it was back in my hands ( in Canada ) in about 2 weeks from the time I sent it. I would for the safety of your die and your own mental health send the die back to whence it came from and rest assured that it will come home safe and sound! I know that for myself , the fact I stuck a slug was bad enough. Thinking about scratching the die trying to get it out was worse!!! YMMV.

Boolit Master
    the screw doesn't have to go in very far, maybe three or four threads deep and it will have enough grip to work...

the dies are heat treated to about 50-60 RC hardness, and are hard! a drill bit can scratch the die, but the bullet is inside and will provide some protection against that, you only need to drill in the base of the stuck bullet about 1/4" or so, and you can use a zinc sheet metal screw which is softer than the die... then when you get the bullet out, polish the inside of the die with Flitz metal polish and it will be better than ever...

Boolit Mold
    I am in the process of making my first set of dies. My first die is a jacket forming die to make jackets out of copper tubing. I have never made anything like this before so was a little anxious to try the die out when I thought it was ready. My first attempt resulted in a piece of copper tubing stuck in my die. Like a point forming die the bottom of this die only has a small hole for an ejector pin. Unfortunately the opening in the tubing had not closed up enough to allow the ejector pin to touch it. I wound up using a threading tap to get the copper tube out of the die. I threaded the appropriate sized tap into the jacket cutting threads as it went in and was then able to use my ejector pin to push the stuck jacket out.

I made my own "screw" out of a piece of round brass rod just for getting out stuck bullets. It took a little while with a grinder and small needle files and clamping it in a vice while I filed on it, but no worries about scratching the die now. Depending on how deep the bullet is stuck in the die, you might want to use something over the drill bit as a bushing like copper or brass tubing so the drill bit doesn't touch the die when you drill into the base of the stuck bullet.
    Last edited by Prospector Howard; 08-06-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Master
    I got a bullet stuck in my 12s 17 cal die the other day. Put the die in the lathe and drilled a center hole. Ran a screw in about half way into the bullet. I kept turning the screw in until the bullet spun in the die. Then I used an old ejector pin to push the bullet out. Cleaned the die and made another 300 bullets.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you everyone. I got it out.

The thing I was doing wrong before was not removing the ejector pin before I pushed it further into the die. After swaging it a bit more down, I re-installed the ejector pin and pretty much out it came.

CM

That'll do it. Just gets the nose of the bullet more crimped onto the ejector pin. Glad you got it worked out!

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticmachinery View Post
    The thing I was doing wrong before was not removing the ejector pin before I pushed it further into the die.

Boolit Buddy
    Go down to the hardware store and get a couple of BRASS wood screws, use Brass rather than steel so no damage to any die.

J Wisner

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't have luck with the method that closes the point even though others do. (.22 cal) I have been using the deck screw with most threads ground off. I made a bushing to center the drill and protect the die. Low tech, just tubing. I clamp the die in the mill vise and use the quill to pull. A drill press should also work. The straight pull is important because there is not a lot of clearance. It is easier to take the time to protect the die than to polish out a scratch.

There is also at least one other post regarding stuck bullets.

It has occurred to me that the bullet weight might come into play. The ones that I stuck were 62 gr and the lead filled the point completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitzme View Post
    It has occurred to me that the bullet weight might come into play. The ones that I stuck were 62 gr and the lead filled the point completely.
    So the jackets were overfilled for the ejection pin diameter?
    Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projecitles

Boolit Master
    Also when you are setting up the point form die, DO NOT push the same slug into the die more than one time.
    The more times you push the slug into the point form die the less it will shrink when the pressure is removed.

I found this out the hard way to start with.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronraad View Post
    So the jackets were overfilled for the ejection pin diameter?
    No, just completely filled. My thought is that there is more of the point that is filled and gripping the id of the die than for a lighter bullet. Just spitballing. As I recall a self releasing taper is about 16 degrees. In my case, on two occasions, a couple bullets stuck and then a couple hundred ran like they should. Still learning.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by alfloyd View Post
    Also when you are setting up the point form die, DO NOT push the same slug into the die more than one time.
    The more times you push the slug into the point form die the less it will shrink when the pressure is removed.

I found this out the hard way to start with.

Lafaun

Sounds like you guys are onto some good ideas and got the die back in working order but this post from Lafaun is a good one to heed to as well.

Stuck bullets was something that I spent a lot of time addressing on my dies. It is never much fun for the customer and it happens to the best of dies but the manufacturer of the die should always be willing and happy to remove a stuck bullet for you should you desire.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast