WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1,000yd Shot With A Handgun? Yep, Jerry Mikulek, 9mm - This Is For 44man!

If Jerry Miculek says he made the shot, he made the shot. He has demonstrated many accomplishments in front of people that are "unbelievable", but unquestionable.

But the video shows the balloon popping roughly 1 to 1.5 seconds before the dent appears. Suddenly there's a spot on the white paint, but significantly after the balloon pops.

Watch the area on the plate and notice when the dent appears.

It's pretty noticeable. And the inset does not appear to be slow-motion so I don't think that explains it.

Love Life
    If Jerry says he did it, I take it as the gospel.

If Mr. Miculek told me he made a 1000yd shot, with no video or witnesses at all, that would be good enough for me. His credibilty is 100%.

But somebody please explain how the balloon pops a second or more before the bullet appears to strike the plate.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you have never shot pistols at long range, you really don't have a good frame of reference as to what is possible. I have shot at around 900 yards, and it doesn't take all that many shots to figure the sight picture, and get in the neighborhood of the target, and hitting it with enough regularity to make it interesting. You end up with a reference point you are "Seeing" on the barrel to get on target.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I have shot .41 mag at 200yds enough to know that Mr. Miculek could do better at 1000yds with a 9mm. I am sure he is capable of making the shot.

But watch the dent appear in the video, then explain the timing of the balloon pop.

Boolit Master
    Elmer didn't do it either.
    <
    <

I think the timing thing is probably poor editing, they got frames in the wrong order when they did the inset work. If you aren't paying attention or are inexperienced it is pretty easy to do. I can ask my wife for more specifics if you want. Her education is in the making and editing of video and audio etc. She used to do it for advertising agencies and news stations etc. She catches mistakes like this in movies and so forth all the time. Honestly sometimes it is annoying to watch stuff with her because of this. She is will point out mistakes mid-movie, much to my annoyance She does the same thing with photos. I've given up showing her pictures on facebook. She just points out everywhere they made filtering or editing mistakes.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Bub
    I believe Jerry's soon to be son-in-law does all his video work. Not some professionals paid big bucks to be perfect.

I watched the video again. The steel rings and the balloon breaks exactly at the same time. The edit pictures are just out of sync, Watch the video again. You hear ding and the ballon breaks in unison at 1.07

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Love Life
    If Jerry walked in and said "I just ate a whole elephant...in one bite!!" I would respond "Well hot diggity dang!! You must need to use the head!!"

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    I watched the video again. The steel rings and the balloon breaks exactly at the same time. The edit pictures are just out of sync, Watch the video again. You hear ding and the ballon breaks in unison at 1.07

Bob
    Bob, turn off the audio. This is a 100% visual discrepancy.

There's a blank white space below and to the left of the balloon. Watch there for the dent to appear.

The balloon pops at 1:07, fine. But still no dent, just clean white paint.

Then after about 1 or 1.5 seconds, the bullet spatters just where Mr. Miculek later finds the dent.

How can you have 1+ seconds of video of white steel plate after the balloon pops, but before the bullet arrives?

This can hardly be an editing issue. First, they surely have more sense than to 'improve' the sequence of the bullet strike by pasting up an image. Second, they would have to find a probably nonexistent nanosecond of video that shows the the plate with the balloon gone, but the bullet not yet arrived, then multiply it into 1+ seconds of tape, then insert it in the sequence. It doesn't make sense.

Nobody is questioning that Mr. Miculek broke a shot at 1000yds, or that the balloon popped, or that the bullet arrived at the plate.

But the video shows it happening out of sequence.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the bullet struck without immediately leaving a mark, then a moment later a round chip of paint fell off.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Is it just me or does the time of flight seems pretty short. I've shot a fair amount of steel at 900 yards with a .308 and know how long it takes a 175 smk traveling 2650fps to hit the target. That seemed pretty quick for a 147gr 9mm round to connect out at a grand. Just saying.
    Not taking anything away from Jerry. He is the man in my book.
    Waco.
    i believe the time you have heard when shooting is the time of flight plus the time it takes the sound of the hit to come back to your ears.

in the video you hear the hit in the target cam. so it would be half the time.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

I was lucky enough to watch him shoot a stage at the PSA Shootout once. Impressive is an inadequate word.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Seems to me the man has too much credibility at stake to try and pull a fast one. I don't have a doubt that he did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Seems to me the man has too much credibility at stake to try and pull a fast one. I don't have a doubt that he did it.
    I agree. But the balloon bursts at about 1:06.8

The bullet spatters on the plate at about 1:08.0

How can that happen?

Did the ball on pop before the bullet struck? I suppose mabee it did. Have you never seen a ball on pop at random before, you have to remember this is in the hot sun and the balloon is taped to a large steel plate.
    The fact of the matter is Jerry did make the shot by hitting the plate, the ball on would not have survived the experience.
    I have shot my Sharps at a Thousand several times and have to say it takes some prior planning and a steady hand. I sure it is a lot harder with a 9mm than a 45-120.

Boolit Master
    Have a look at the video on page one,he has about 1/2'' of muzzle elevation,I just set the sights of one of my Lee Enfields to 1000 yards and it has about 1 1/4'' muzzle elevation,I can't see how a 9mm bullet can travel so far with a mid range trajectory of 231 feet with such little amount of elevation. Pat

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It's the weekend. Time for some of you guys to go try your handguns at long range, if you've never done it before.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I thought it was Wednesday.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast