Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail Boss, my pet powder

Boolit Master

Trail Boss, my pet powder

My seventeen year old son is taking a 54 winny in 270 for deer and for trigger time with the gun I told him to use 10 grain of trail boss. I don't have to woory about him making a mistake! What a powder! I don't even miss the powders they are threatening to stop making, well I am trying to tell myself I won't miss them! But Trail Boss will do!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I use trail boss the way some folks use water... All of my straight walls seems to love it, some of my bottlenecks seem to like it for reduced recoil loads, and I have had nothing but great things to say for accuracy with it. The single proviso is that you MUST have a good crimp for trail boss to be consistent. These "light crimp" gurus typically hate it, and with good reason. If you can't put a good crimp on a trail boss load, you can't get a good load out of it.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have TrailBoss and have used it in 223's with great success with a Bator 55gn. More power than a 22lr and much better accuracy! That is one of my 5 22lr-like loads I use (not buying 22's at current $$!).

The other day I shot 20 of them and was getting <1" at 60 yards with that lite load.

I also use it in 45LC's and 38SPL's with great success.

I like TB.........if you can find it today!!!!!!!! Watch those bottles......they only contain 9oz of powder! Tricky....tricky....tricky!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Yep. .45LC and .38spl shoot nice with Trailboss

and you can't double charge without spilling over

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    I use trail boss the way some folks use water... All of my straight walls seems to love it, some of my bottlenecks seem to like it for reduced recoil loads, and I have had nothing but great things to say for accuracy with it. The single proviso is that you MUST have a good crimp for trail boss to be consistent. These "light crimp" gurus typically hate it, and with good reason. If you can't put a good crimp on a trail boss load, you can't get a good load out of it.

GoodOlBoy

The one place I've had good results and no crimp with TB is my little Handi Rifle in .454. I use a boolit that engages the rifling fairly hard. I use no crimp. It shoots very well. Funny thing about Trail Boss. You can work up a load the likes of which you just can't get out of other powders.

One of my favorites, although not EXTREMELY accurate, it's accurate enough was a (454 Casull rifle) .455g NEI boolit over 5.0g of Trail Boss. You'd swear before the supreme court I was shooting a suppressed rifle. It's a hoot!!

Boolit Master
    Makes sense to me dean, I could probably do the same thing in my handi 45-70 with my 500gr mold. Hadn't thought about it, but sounds like something to be tested one of these days.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    Makes sense to me dean, I could probably do the same thing in my handi 45-70 with my 500gr mold. Hadn't thought about it, but sounds like something to be tested one of these days.

GoodOlBoy
    Yeah, I played a mean trick at the range recently with Trail Boss. I let a young'un there try the .454 Casull Handi Rifle with a bunny fart Trail Boss load.......then gave his dad a (near max) Win296 load. The guy made some comment about it being awful small for that much recoil and his boy told him he was a wuss. Lol!!

Boolit Master
    I found TB to be very accurate in my 7 remmag last fall when I was simply shooting for trigger time. Made me wonder if it works as well in other large containers as well.I was shooting very slow, as I find as a rule this powder really can give nice little groups when going slow.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    I found TB to be very accurate in my 7 remmag last fall when I was simply shooting for trigger time. Made me wonder if it works as well in other large containers as well.I was shooting very slow, as I find as a rule this powder really can give nice little groups when going slow.
    What was your recipe for that 7remmag? I am working on the same right now and found 18gr YB + my 180gr 168rcbs boolit combo the best so far but have just begun.

Boolit Master
    I use Trail Boss in nearly ALL of my straight walls. Works just great. My favorite loads in 44 special and 45 Colt use 200 grain rnfp boolits and Trail Boss. They're shoot all day loads that just never seem to tire you out.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gtgeorge View Post
    What was your recipe for that 7remmag? I am working on the same right now and found 18gr YB + my 180gr 168rcbs boolit combo the best so far but have just begun.
    10 gr Tb with the Lee Soupcan Boolit(135gr) regular primers 3/4 inch groubs at 80 yards with out the BOOOM !
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Shot some more last weekend with my 45-70 Marlin.
    Less than 2in groups at 100 with 16.0 grains and a 325 boolit.
    Even took the chrono out to test speeds and they were going 1342 fps.

It does make up some special loads when you have someone trying out the 45-70 for the first time and thing that they will be pushes back into yesterday.
    What some people call you when they shoot them will make a sailor blush.

WOW never thought of going that low. Slower than I wanted bt nice to know a plinking load can be done that light and slow.

Boolit Master
    I shoot a reduced TB load in 45ACP
    It will hit paper out to about 15 yds and cycle the action, but sounds like an air gun in my carbine.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Grand Master

I am beginning to use more TB also!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Where are you fellas finding loading data using Trail Boss in the 45-70?
    I can seem to find any on Hodgdon online, or their manual..
    Thanks

>>>OK I found it in the Trapdoor load section, duh!
    Last edited by Nrut; 08-05-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Groo here
    My friend and I loaded for a pistol class
    1/2gr under book max , 215gr SNS swc [coated] 41mag.
    out of 5 different guns, the largest group was 1/2 dollar size most quarter size at 30ft [ inside]
    We had such fun at the class, eating the center from the target and scaring the 9mm shooters with out "giant shells"

Banned
    I like using it in my 44 mag Rossi 92 for cowboy loads. They are very pleasant to shoot, and pretty accurate.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had good luck with T/B in the 50 BMG under an 850gr boolit!!!!

Anyone with some 303 Brit loads? I have some and haven't gotten round to field testing it. I sounds like I need to do so. This 'plinking' load with a 325 gr boolit doing 1342 fps. That's plinking?

I'd like a supersonic load with no muzzle blast for a Brit. A light boolit (155gr) would be just fine. I do have an accurate light boolit load using Clays. But really, I want a heavier boolit load.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast