RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Angle of cutting paper patches

Boolit Bub

Angle of cutting paper patches

I was wondering if anyone notices a difference in the patch based on the angle it's cut at??Lots start with common angles like 30*, 45*, and 60*. I've noticed that the 45* seem to be the easiest to roll. Any comments??
    I've only patched for the 45-70. Soon to start with the 357 mag, and maybe the 44 mag...

I scribed a 30 deg angle on my cutting board when I first got it and have never changed anything.
    I'm the kinda guy "if it ain't broke,don't fix it"

In Remembrance

Been using the 30 degree cut for a long time. All I can suggest for you is try the different angles and go with what works best for you and the firearm you are using it with.Robert

Perm-Banned
    ive used diff. angles, even square 90 degree cut and they are shoot the same for me in the x ring. it comes down to what you want to do and works best for you.

Boolit Master
    As long as the wrapped butting line of the patch is greater or less than the pitch of your rifling then it will seal and no chance of gas cutting.
    Apparently.
    I don't shoot the X ring 'cos I'd have no where to aim.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Boolit Master
    I'll second Barrabruce's comments. The angle should be such as to cause the patch joint to cross a land in whatever the barrel's twist rate is, made easier when the patches are wrapped with an opposite helix from the rifling. I set my patch board to an angle that amounts to a 1:6" twist in a 30 caliber, 20 degrees, IIRC. And one cut 90 deg will cross a land by definition, if the rifling has anything like a normal twist for caliber.

I'd go with the one that's easiest for you to roll. I find a 30° angle to be easiest to wrap. I've even tried an angle that exactly matches the rifling twist. I can't say I saw any advantage or disadvantage but then I only test fired those into my 'test tube' and then not at very high velocity. I agree with barrabruce on crossing the rifling for a full seal.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    If it is easy for you to roll on that boolit your patch will be better. A poor wrap will have more effect than the angle of the cut. I am not saying that the angel has no effect just that other factors will have a larger one. Go with what feels best to your fingers and that boolit. then experiment with changes and compare them to that baseline.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson1942 View Post
    ive used diff. angles, even square 90 degree cut and they are shoot the same for me in the x ring. it comes down to what you want to do and works best for you.
    x2. I patch mine at 90 deg., and they work just fine.

If it is easy for you to roll on that boolit your patch will be better. A poor wrap will have more effect than the angle of the cut.
    My sentiments exactly! Too much angle and even the smallest misalignment gets exaggerated. The blunter the angle the easier to align and butt the ends. I have tried 90° but found I needed a bonding agent. Now I'm thinking a bonding agent might be a good idea anyway so I might just try 90° again.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 01-08-2015 at 12:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    303Guy

What idea do you have in mind as the bonding agent?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    303Guy

What idea do you have in mind as the bonding agent?
    I used a bit of bullet lube from the outside of a spare lubrisizer die. Maybe I'm just lazy, or something, but I can't bring myself to do a wet-wrap and then wait overnight to load the cartridges the next day after it's all dried.

I'm looking for something that won't smear in the bore and won't stick to lead. I use school paper glue at the moment to glue the end corner of tail-less patches. I've made up one or two test patches with the same glue between the two wraps. That's diluted glue. I don't think it's an ideal glue for the purpose. The paper glue of yor dried hard and brittle and could be redissolved. Something like that might be more suitable. We've also heard of white flour glue and raw egg white. White wood or paper glue makes paper 'rubbery' which may or may not be a good thing for paper disintegration.

Boolit Master
    I like the idea of a egg white blended into dipping water. Haven't tried it myself. But I will soon. Kids Kitchen glue. Raw egg white, flour, table salt & water.

Boolit Master
    you don't want the sait

Raw egg white, flour, table salt & water.
    As barra says, you don't want the salt.

What are the proportions?

Boolit Master
    What are the proportions?

I don't know. My Mother used to make it 65 years ago for we 3 brat's. I don't think there was a recipe for amounts. If there was? she knew it by heart then.