RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Browning sa 22

Browning sa 22

I have a browning sa 22 from the 50s. Its Belgium made. It is very ammo picky. The only ammo it will feed reliably is cci stinger. I have tried just about everything else. Anyone else have this problem? I have replaced the extractor. Thanks!

Boolit Master

I have one of the first made in Japan. It eats anything, even standard velocity. You say cci is the only ammo it will feed, so it is a feeding problem? They are pretty simple rifles. The only problem I have had with mine in years is the bullet stop. You might try replacing that if it isn't feeding. Midway has them and they don't cost much.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

It wont cycle anything reliably except high velocity stuff so i dont know if i need a reduced spring kit or something?

Boolit Master

Mine was made in the late 70s ( made in japan ) i bought it used ,i also changed all of the springs with new factory springs , mine functions with every brand ive tried of std & hi-v ammo.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Have you given the rifle a good cleaning?
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Yes i have. It was very dirty when i cleaned it.

Boolit Master

Buy this, intall it, give it a try
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/186740A.htm
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Is that a reduced spring?

Boolit Master
    There is a ctr stop in the top of the reciever that will fall out when the bolt is removed. I have 3 SA22s one from 59 and they all will feed anything I put in them as long as it's a long rifle round. You have something wrong, recoil spring possiably but if stingers are all tha will work it seems your bolt needs the very fast cycle caused bu that round. Find an exploded drawing and verify he cartrige stop is in place and he action is assembled corectly to the drawing. Is the spring factory? Did you buy the gun used? THey are actually fairly simple and reliable.

Item 14 on this :
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...to22-38591.htm

PS also see item 16 spring and 26 recoli spring guide. Yours may be bent

Thanks for the info i got it a while ago from a family member. I believe the spring is factory. The only thing i have done is cleaned it and put a new extractor in.

Boolit Master
    Good luck with it, you have a keeper, those early guns are desirable and shoot great. Let us know how it comes out and what you find.

It mainly fails to extract the shells completely so i think it needs a looser recoil spring so it allows the bolt to blow back easier.

Bump.

Boolit Master
    check your recoil spring guide and that the spring is not kinked. Also should be lighly lubed. I will open one up when I get home ,been a while since I was in one. Can you post a pic of the typical hangup?

Boolit Master
    OK, looked at 1 last night. Make sure your extractor moves up and down freely in the bolt face ,mine moves about 1/8 inch and spring is firm but easily overcome. Also extractor needs to get a solid grip on case,place a fired case into chamber and use bolt to extract, should pull it completely free of the chamber. Aslo check your fireing pin spring and guide. THey can cause a drag due to being inside the fireing pin if they are kinked or a bent guide. Look at your chamber and be sure there is no damage from being dryfired, alternately can look at a case fired in it to see if there is a swelled and/or drag mark on the case body below the fireing pin strike. All I can think of at the moment.
    These are nice reliable rifles ,you will get it figured out. I have had a chance to buy several that the owner was mad at because the takedown wouldn't stay tight. Wanted to sell it for parts. I pointed out that there is a small spring and plunger to hold the adjustment. For 3$ he had a wonderful rifle again. The cartridge stop is another small part that is easily lost causing frustration.

Thanks a lot. I will do that!

Boolit Bub
    My friend has one too and it is very picky on ammo.