Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 22 rimfire bullets start to finish

Results

It is long past time that I show some results for my home made efforts.
    This is a picture of my results with some test bullets.

52 grain hollowpoints, Don't remember the powder charge. shot from the sitting position, no rest, no glasses, 11 shots. Model 70 Winchester in 222 Rem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0823011317.jpg  
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Whose dies and what jackets were you using? I am going to try some 6mm dies and I would like to know that they are capable of making an accurate bullet.

I use a variety of dies but for this batch I used my homemade de-rim die, Cast cores thru a Corbin core swage, Corbin core seat and Corbin point die. Jackets are a mix of 22 cal rimfire brass jackets, sorted by weight after bullets are formed.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Mold
    Hi guyis, i just received my dies from Blackmon.
    I have J4 jackets, but as I am still learning, I am using the 22 LR formed jackets.
    After derimmming, I let the jackets in the oven at 400° Celsius for 60 minutes.
    But the nose is folding in the point up die ( 8 in 36 made)so what I have to do to correct this? More time or highter
    temperature in the oven?

Excuse my bad english, outside USA guy.
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Posted picture is 1000 times demonstrational than few words.

I am annealing even before derimming without any issue.

Boolit Master
    I anneal after derimming only. I would stay with that. A higher temp and soak time could help with the tips folding. you could do a little test and heat the some with a torch and see if you still have the same problem. You might also try a diiferent make of brass.

Boolit Mold
    OK, I will try a higher temp ans see what happens. The cases are Eley brand.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I have used Eley too, and they seem to work well.

Brass does not anneal until it hits about 700 degrees. You need more heat. Self clean cycle on your oven has worked for some. Not me. I still need a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Liseo Mario Erthal View Post
    I have J4 jackets, but as I am still learning, I am using the 22 LR formed jackets.
    But the nose is folding in the point up die ( 8 in 36 made)so what I have to do to correct this? More time or highter
    temperature in the oven?

Thanks
    400 Celsius is 752 Fahrenheit. That should be hot enough. My last batch was done at 800 Fahrenheit. If you can easily squish the jacket mouth with your finger then you are getting enough heat. You didn't say how heavy you are trying to make the bullets, or what lube you are using or how much. As much as anything I find that folded noses are a combo of having too little lube on a jacket that is set a little deep in the die, and probably a little too much speed on the handle. Or to put it another way, there is usually more than one cause. If I have several folds I usually stop, pull the dies, clean them and set them up fresh.

Old War Horse
    If you're making your bullets rather light in weight, say perhaps 45 grains? There's not going to be material to support the nose, causing folded noses.

Your annealing temperature might be a little bit low. I'd suggest perhaps 425 Celsius. No need to go hotter.

Welcome to Cast Boolits!

Quote Originally Posted by Liseo Mario Erthal View Post
    temperature in the oven?

Thanks

Sent from my Droid
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Mold
    My next batch will be annealed at little higher temp.

My bullets weight is 50 grains. On some I had some dents, so i reduced the lube, and they come out better. Maybe I am working the handle to fast, I will try slow down and see what happens.
    You guys are very helpfull.
    Thanks

Boolit Mold
    Almost forget to say, the lube is one supplied by Larry Blackmon, who I believe is lanolin with some other component

Boolit Master
    So what are the opinions about getting the ring from where the rim was at. I have found that pushing it through the die a bit further up tends to take this out more. But is also taking more pressure from my arms.

Question is this. After annealing them and then seating the core does that push out the ring further or not? What have you guys seen when it comes to this?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Mold
    I am making the rings almost disappear using one .220" nitrite bushing above the derimming die from Blackmom. But need more effort. And the formed jacket grown .015" . As I got the rifle, will test if this will improve the group.

My experience is a general one of shooting at Gophers rather than target testing from the bench but the groove has never seemed to effect the bullets one way or another for my purposes. After seating the core the bullet still has a noticeable ring that does not appear to be significantly altered, but I have never measured before and after.

I do not have a Blackmon die. Is his one that you do not push the jacket all the way through? You mentioned that the ring is reduced by pushing the case farther in, how far can you go?

Boolit Mold
    Mightythor, dont sure if you asked the question to me(You know, bad english...)but in the die from Blackmon, i push the jacket all the way through the die. Exit on the top.
    Beside the normal die, I put one bushing with .220" diameter and the jacket pass through both in one stroke.
    As a side question , I realized that the jacket botton in round and is required a lot of effort to make the base become flat when core seating. The derimming punch must be rounded or could be flat?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LME View Post
    As a side question , I realized that the jacket botton in round and is required a lot of effort to make the base become flat when core seating. The derimming punch must be rounded or could be flat?
    Thanks
    The bottom punch can be flat(ter) but you do have to make sure that things are more properly aligned to use a flat bottom punch or it will tend to cut the brass. Rounder bottoms are more forgiving and require less force in the de-rim process. When you seat the core the rounded bottom will almost always fill out flat. To the extent that there is a rounded edge on the bottom of the formed bullet, that helps a little when you are seating the bullet into the case.

Boolit Master

I have a question and this thread appears to be the best in which to ask it. I am just starting out and have an unmarked derim die. The punch mounts an the press ram and 22LR cases are pushed up throught the die. I derimmed several hundred today and the 3rd one must have had a bit of live priming compound in the rim because there was a fairly loud "pop". No damage was done but I wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Banned

i soak all my cases in a citric acid bath for about three hours [agitating them occasionally] then throw the whole shebang in my tumbler with a few drops of dish soap for about a half hour, then air dry.
    my tumbler is water tight.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast