Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 22 rimfire bullets start to finish

Quote Originally Posted by Greebe View Post
    Rat-Man-

Just curious as to what the inside diameter of the core seating die was so that you end up with .224 after seating the core. Is it over-sized to allow for spring back.

Thanks
    Greebe

Greebe,

The best I can measure with a hole gauge the core seating die is .2245. I think that is good measurement because the ejector rod is .2235 outside diameter, measured with a micrometer, that is a pretty tight fit in the bore.

hope that helps

Rat-Man

Boolit Man
    Awesome! Thanks for taking those measurements. That is going to help me a lot in building a set.

One Last request. If it wouldn't be too much trouble to tell me the inside diameter of the core swaging die as well that would give me that last part of the puzzle.

OK one more. The other is how deep is the hole for the core seating die?

I appreciate your help very much.

Thanks
    Greebe

Awesome! Thanks for taking those measurements. That is going to help me a lot in building a set.

One Last request. If it wouldn't be too much trouble to tell me the inside diameter of the core swaging die as well that would give me that last part of the puzzle.
    My core swage die is .185 diameter which allows the core to fit in the .195 inside diameter derimmed 22 lr jacket easily.

OK one more. The other is how deep is the hole for the core seating die?
    My set is a Sport Flite Mfg set that uses a replacement ram in the press. The dies screw into the ram and the ejector punch is inside the ram and passes completely thru the die. When I seat the core the entire jacket is inside the die. Hope that helps you out

Rat-Man

Boolit Man
    Rat Man---

Thanks again for taking the time to measure your dies. This will save me a lot of trial and error. I think that I have all the dimensions that I need to make a set in my shop. I am placing an order for the reamers tonight and have a load of O-1 on order as well.

I am designing my set to be used in a regular O frame reloading press. If it turns out well I am going to try to make a small quantity for sale. I am trying to design these to be easily manufactured in my shop, so that I can pass on the saving to other people who want to make bullets. Corbin makes some fine products but he is in the scalping business. I could make these for sale at less than half the price of the Corbin's and still do alright.

I will post again later with my progress.

Thanks,
    Greebe

I found this thread this morning, every reply has been enthralling. Now I am going to start collecting .22 hulls.
    God bless America

Boolit Grand Master
    At less than half the price of Corbins, I might be in for a set!

Boolit Man
    I will keep you guys posted.

I bought a new Bison Set-Tru 5c Collet chuck and a set of Hardinge 5c collets. At around a grand it was painful, but I want to make these dies as precise as possible.

I am part way there. The prototypes are being made and I hope to have the final design and dies made by the end of the year.

More to follow later.

Greebe

Boolit Master
    Greebe,

You could go in the business and sell die sets???

Heres something I ran into while following this long thread and doing searches along the way:

http://precisionballisticsllc.com/process.aspx

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting. How are your dies set up? For my Corbin CSP2, or my RCBS RC? I may just have to get a set. Is there a difference in cost for the set either way? Sorry if you answered this already, I did not read the whole thread...

Can I use Stinger brass for heavier slugs? Can you also mod a mould for cores on the bottom too?

Since I started this thread I have switched over to the Corbin dies for seating and swaging and therefore I am using the Corbin press and have set my RCBS aside for now. Also watching the press making on this site and may be ordering or building my own swage press in the near future.

You can use any brass you want and heavier slugs are just a matter of adding more lead. You may not be able to get a hollowpoint in heavier weights depending on the brass you use, but a lead tip shoots just fine.

If I understand your mold question, the answer is "I guess so" As shown in my photo's, I took a factory mold (in one case it was for 36 cal ball) and drilled and taped the bottom of the mold so I can pour my core. When I want to cast 36 balls, I just put the parts back on the top. Don't know why you would want a mold with the same thing on the top and the bottom if that is what you are asking, but no reason it could not be done.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Added pictures of my core loading jig in the first post.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Master
    MightyThor, did you make the core loader or buy it? I've been looking for one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
    MightyThor, did you make the core loader or buy it? I've been looking for one of these.
    Made it, did a prototype out of Masonite then used the prototype as a template to make the one I am using. Got the idea from stuff I saw online from some of the 30 cal folks. There are a couple of folks selling the 30 cal but didn't find anyone doing the 22.

Vendor Sponsor

Nice work Thor!

I can see where that would be VERY helpfull.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Old War Horse
    Thor! You have a great idea up there! A core loading jig! Great stuff man!

Now how a jacket loading jig? I confess, I've missed out on this thread for a bit. I'm gonna re-read this pronto!

Sent from my Droid
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White, & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

The Jackets load in the jig pretty much the same way you load the cores. They tend to drop bottom first most of the time. I don't try to turn the others cause it is a pain once the jig is loaded so I just leave them till the next round.

Old War Horse
    Thor, you just gave me an idea...

What about using a SECOND jacket tray, drilled to match the first jacket tray. Then when I load all the cores, swage them, etc.

Then I use the core tray as the alignment, set the second jacket tray, lined up of course, set it down over the core tray, _face down _, holding all three trays together, then flip everything over together. Exactly like a primer flipping tray works...

What would have to happen is the core tray would have to used as a template then drill the other trays from it.

Or am I making this to complicated?

Jim

Sent from my Droid
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Fleming View Post
    Thor, you just gave me an idea...

What about using a SECOND jacket tray, drilled to match the first jacket tray. Then when I load all the cores, swage them, etc.

Then I use the core tray as the alignment, set the second jacket tray, lined up of course, set it down over the core tray, _face down _, holding all three trays together, then flip everything over together. Exactly like a primer flipping tray works...

What would have to happen is the core tray would have to used as a template then drill the other trays from it.

Or am I making this to complicated?

Jim

Sent from my Droid
    Well,
    The theory behind this set up is that you take a handful of Jackets, put them on the top plate, shake em around and when the holes are filled you remove the extras, drop in a handful of cores, shake em around, and when they have pretty much filled the jackets you remove the extra's, remove the top one or two layers of the holder and start seating core's.

You could just have Jackets in a holder and as you swage cores, just drop them in.

You could also have two jigs like mine and get the core's lined up before the drop, but I think that might require nearly twice the material to make the jigs.

I think there are probably a lot of different ways to skin this cat. I might someday try to automate the process. maybe something similar to that old football game we had as kids where the players scooted across a field because the whole thing shook like a San Fransisco earthquake.

Old War Horse

Thumbs up

Good Deal, Thor. Thanks...
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Endowment Member
    VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyThor View Post
    Made it, did a prototype out of Masonite then used the prototype as a template to make the one I am using. Got the idea from stuff I saw online from some of the 30 cal folks. There are a couple of folks selling the 30 cal but didn't find anyone doing the 22.
    Cool, I have seen them for sale and they are expensive, like a couple hundred bucks. If you get the process down, you should consider selling them.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast