MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 22 rimfire bullets start to finish

Good points, Renofish. There are alot of factors that affect how well these bullets perform. I also believe that barrel twist can make a big difference in how fast you can push them. One other thing that I'd mention about the possibility of bullets coming apart. How smooth the barrel is will make a difference as well. Some of the more inexpensive rifles can have a pretty rough bore right from the factory, and I've noticed that can cause issues too. I'm not sure annealing them twice is necessary, and I've found that derimming works better for me by not annealing them first. That seems to be a personal preference thing for swagers.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

May Liberty Increase!
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Talking SS media tumblers. I also bought one from STM. I got the large $800 kit. Works great for cleaning a lot of brass and is just the right size for cleaning a 100 or more 50 BMG cases but is WAY TOO BIG and HEAVY for simple 22lr jacket cleaning. The weight of the barrel full of brass, SS media and water is enough to cause me injury concerns. Get the more convenient sized tumbler and you will be very pleased with the results SS media does for cleaning our 22lr jackets and finished bullets.

BT
    I just scaled down the Biggdawg idea for my needs. I built a tumbler barrel out of 4-in diameter PVC pipe for tumbling 22 brass. The pipe is about 5-in long, about an inch longer than necessary to facilitate attachment of a cap and 4x3 reducer. A 3 in nipple allows use of a Fernco cap. I used 3/4 in pipe split in half for the agitators and only installed 2 vanes about 180 degrees apart. The container holds a small bread pan full of 22LR cases with plenty of room for media and solution. It's small enough to handle easily and my tumbler frame is large enough to hold several of them, if needed.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Boolit Bub
    I am building a large tumbler myself and it is rewarding!

Boolit Mold
    Eastern Washington, between Newport & Elk
    Does anyone out there know of or has or has built an extractor like the Corbin PE-1.

Boolit Bub
    Just to let everyone know some of the costs you have read in this post may not be completely accurate. For a set of carbide .224 dies (dies made to exact tolerances) from a noted bullet die maker, is less than 3000.00 complete.

Boolit Master
    Very interesting and informative thread.Thanks to all who posted.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Renofish View Post
    Just to let everyone know some of the costs you have read in this post may not be completely accurate. For a set of carbide .224 dies (dies made to exact tolerances) from a noted bullet die maker, is less than 3000.00 complete.
    I'm very interested in this concept of making jacketed .223 bullets from .22lr cases, it's very intriguing. But criminy - for $3000 I could buy all the factory-made 55gr .233 FMJBT's I could ever need!

This definitely doesn't sound like a po' boy endeavor. The start-up costs sound sickening.

$95/1000. Can you make your own cheaper than this? http://www.polygunbag.com/.223NewFed...argerView.html
    Last edited by rondog; 07-18-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I'm very interested in this concept of making jacketed .223 bullets from .22lr cases, it's very intriguing. But criminy - for $3000 I could buy all the factory-made 55gr .233 FMJBT's I could ever need!

This definitely doesn't sound like a po' boy endeavor. The start-up costs sound sickening.

$95/1000. Can you make your own cheaper than this? http://www.polygunbag.com/.223NewFed...argerView.html
    $3,000 for a set of dies? No not even close. I could make 50,000 or more for the cost you pay for 6,500 projectiles you linked to and with a dedicated press.

Oh and to answer your question yes, we can all make them for cheaper AND better than those as well.
    Last edited by Utah Shooter; 07-18-2015 at 11:43 PM.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Christensen View Post
    $3,000 for a set of dies? No not even close. I could make 50,000 or more for the cost you pay for 6,500 projectiles you linked to and with a dedicated press.

Oh and to answer your question yes, we can all make them for cheaper AND better than those as well.
    Is post #185 a typo then?

I doubt anyone reading this is using carbide dies. Carbide indeed is that expensive and will make one million rounds, whereas the hardened tool steel dies almost all of us are using will make 200,000+ rounds. Shrugs. One-fifth as many rounds for about one-fifth the price. Take your pick

Quote Originally Posted by Renofish View Post

Vendor Sponsor

Remember only a few years ago when you couldn't find any 22 cal bullets or ammo. When that day comes around again then the dies become far more valuable then the purchase price.

To many of us making bullets is a hobby and there are certainly worse things we could spend our money on. There is a great satisfaction in making and shooting bullets you have made yourself.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Remember only a few years ago when you couldn't find any 22 cal bullets or ammo. When that day comes around again then the dies become far more valuable then the purchase price.

To many of us making bullets is a hobby and there are certainly worse things we could spend our money on. There is a great satisfaction in making and shooting bullets you have made yourself.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT
    If I were thinking I would save money by swaging I would be delusional. I do it because I enjoy odd hobbies like this. I once thought that reloading would save me more. Now I have more money than I ever thought I would tied up in various reloading components.

The way I look at my swaging equipment is worse case scenario I swage a few thousand bullets and sell off the dies for around what I paid for them. I figure that in 20-30 years I will have long forgotten the price I paid for the dies and will be glad to have the ability to make what I want when I want.

Well, I'm certainly intrigued and curious about this! I've even started gathering .22lr brass just to get a head start, in case I do start into this.

What brass can be made into what caliber of bullets? I know .22 lr into .223, but what about 9mm? .40 S&W?

Did Greebe ever end up coming up with a set of dies for sale, does anyone know? Otherwise, does anyone know if Blackmon still sells them?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Well, I'm certainly intrigued and curious about this! I've even started gathering .22lr brass just to get a head start, in case I do start into this.

What brass can be made into what caliber of bullets? I know .22 lr into .223, but what about 9mm? .40 S&W?
    40 S&W can be made into 44, and 45 acp. 9mm can be drawn down in 2 to 3 draws and turned into 308. If you can picture it, it can be done, just search the swaging forum. Somebody's tried it and given you good hints. Take the bit and start thinking what you would like to do.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

5.7x28 has been used to make 30cal. 223/380 --> 375cal. Knock the rim off of 44spl/mag and you'll have a perfect jacket for 458. 9mm can also be used to easily make 40cal

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger762 View Post
    5.7x28 has been used to make 30cal. 223/380 --> 375cal. Knock the rim off of 44spl/mag and you'll have a perfect jacket for 458. 9mm can also be used to easily make 40cal
    I have used 9mm, 223, and 30 carbine for 357 and 366

Using 9mm for 357 sounds like back-breaking work

Quote Originally Posted by goblism View Post
    I have used 9mm, 223, and 30 carbine for 357 and 366

Quote Originally Posted by MightyThor View Post
    400 Celsius is 752 Fahrenheit. That should be hot enough. My last batch was done at 800 Fahrenheit. If you can easily squish the jacket mouth with your finger then you are getting enough heat. You didn't say how heavy you are trying to make the bullets, or what lube you are using or how much. As much as anything I find that folded noses are a combo of having too little lube on a jacket that is set a little deep in the die, and probably a little too much speed on the handle. Or to put it another way, there is usually more than one cause. If I have several folds I usually stop, pull the dies, clean them and set them up fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    40 S&W can be made into 44, and 45 acp. 9mm can be drawn down in 2 to 3 draws and turned into 308. If you can picture it, it can be done, just search the swaging forum. Somebody's tried it and given you good hints. Take the bit and start thinking what you would like to do.

Bill
    Wow! I'd dearly love to see some good photos of these .40/.44-.45 and 9mm/.308 bullets, and any others that you guys make! I've never even seen any but I'm becoming obsessed with the concept.

Photos please? Or links to photo-rich threads?

Anybody in the Denver area that does this?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger762 View Post
    Using 9mm for 357 sounds like back-breaking work
    I anneal the 9mm, run it through my 9mm taper crimp die, and load as normal. Not much to it and not terribly difficult to reduce

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast