Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lyman 7mm silhouette bullet in a Remington Rolling Block

Looks like these little RB's can been a pain . Might give the Lyman 287308 a try if I can find one cheap enough. Well it is good to know I can increase the bullet dia. a little bit more, if the round will chamber by doing so.
    Last edited by brstevns; 10-27-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Well I did not give up but then I did. I took the carbine barrel off and put on a rifle barrel. Loaded up a few rounds over the weekend and went to the range. Load was 10.5 Unique and a Lyman 287308 bullet sized .290 Was well surprised when it did not key hole , fired off the few rounds that I loaded and they all made a perfect round hole. Distance only 25 yards but it is a start.

Banned

chuckling to myself.
    I kinda knew this was coming, I handled a few of these years ago and could look down the barrel of them and see they were trashed.

I think they musta packed them full of mud or something and then took a rod and worked it up and down from both ends trying to pound the mud back out of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Alright I traded the 7mm sil bullet mold for a 150gr Lyman Loverin design. Hope that works out better.
    I have that mould. It is remarkably accurate in my Ruger 7mm-08. So accurate it is boring at times. H4895, but it performs well with several powders, including AA1680. Let us know how it performs for you.

MichiganMike

Quote Originally Posted by michiganmike View Post
    I have that mould. It is remarkably accurate in my Ruger 7mm-08. So accurate it is boring at times. H4895, but it performs well with several powders, including AA1680. Let us know how it performs for you.

MichiganMike
    Sad to say I no longer have this mold. Traded it off when the RB still wore the carbine barrel. It key holed every shot. No daubt it would work well with the rifle length barrel the RB now wears. Traded it for a 287308 Lyman, so far in the one test tried with this bullet, I have good feelings that the rifle barrel likes the 287308.
    Last edited by brstevns; 05-27-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    chuckling to myself.
    I kinda knew this was coming, I handled a few of these years ago and could look down the barrel of them and see they were trashed.

I think they musta packed them full of mud or something and then took a rod and worked it up and down from both ends trying to pound the mud back out of the barrel.
    This describes my 7MM Rolling Block exactly. On top of that it has a jugged chamber. My rifle is original and even has the cleaning rod. After one trip to the range with cast bullets I gave up on it. I never tried jacketed bullets. That is a very expensive neighborhood and I just don't go there. I do have a beautiful half octagon barrel in 45-90 that will screw into the action but every time I say, I'm going to do it, I tell myself it's all original and loose heart and then I put it back in the safe. .
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banned

IMO, if it's "all original" and don't shoot, it's pretty much worthless. The ones that are "all original" and shoot, those are the really desirable pieces.

Boolit Grand Master

Try the 175 Hornady RN in that one that won't shoot cast. Over about 35 gr of
    4064 mine will shoot into 1" at 100 yds.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

^^^^^that bullet and load of either 30-31 or 4064 has been the ticket in a bunch of these rifles.^^^^^
    if it won't shoot that combination re-barrel it and save yourself the aggravation of having a cool rifle that's nice to look at every now and then.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123