WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 93 Year Old 94

Boolit Grand Master

93 Year Old 94

Been looking fo a nice pre-64 94 Winchester for some time, prefer a pre-WWII because they feel a bit better to me. Was cruising the used gun rack today after a bit of a disappointment at the powder shelf and stopped dead in my tracks. Saw a decent-looking pre-64 with a six digit serial nimber and next thing I knew I was in the Library wanting a better look at the bore. Rifling was sharp, action was tight (and a bit dry) and everything felt like the 94 I've been looking for. Wood had been refinished, case hardening was almost gone but the bluing was 75-80 percent, maybe better. Really liked the sights and if the ladder rear sight doesn't work out it's D&T'd for a tang sight. It's chambered for one of my favorite cartridges as well, 32WS.
    It was a little slow in the Library so there was no shortage of enablers, all had seen the rifle and liked it. I figured I hadn't bought a rifle yet this month so the horse-trading started, stopped rather abruptly tho. They took off $50 more than the lowball offer I was going to make. I really like those guys!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (8).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	112376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (11).JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	112378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (9).JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	112379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (10).JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	112380
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Good for you kiddo. exactly what I've been looking for and the right caliber too. wish it was mine. LOL if you ever sell email me. Tom
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, been pretty lucky lately running across guns I've been looking for. I need to quit buying every nice rifle I see but once again I couldn't pass it up. At least it's a cartridge I already have moulds, dies and brass for.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

She's a beauty. I'd be proud to have her.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, doc. May need a new mould after all, RD 323-170(180) a bit fat in the throat area. Rifling engraves about .020" when I chamber a round w/ boolit seated to last groove.

Its a great lead & black powder round also. gd
    Last edited by gandydancer; 08-04-2014 at 01:17 AM.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Very nice! You gotta love that ladder sight.

Boolit Master
    Always nice to find a clean saddle ring carbine now & then. Immediately peeks one's heart beat. Yours is 15 years senior to mine TXGunNut. Sadly mine is a 30-30. But somehow knowing that its not a 32 Sp. doesn't seem bother me all that much. I'm just happy to have found a pre-64 S/R Carbine period.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gandydancer View Post
    Its a great lead & black powder round. gd

My shooting buddy is toying with the BP loading for this cartridge. He's off at the deer lease this weekend, glad I beat him to this one.
    I missed a pre-war rifle a few weeks ago, it was a 30-30 and wasn't a SRC, OverMax. Not even sure the tang was D&T'd. Wanted to make it my pre-64 94 but I guess it worked out after all.
    Ordering NOE's 322-180 to get a .317 bore-riding section instead of a .323. Should work better in my buddy's 32's as well.

Boolit Grand Master

In case ya'll were wondering.

Name:	photo (14).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	112411

Boolit Bub
    That is a very lovely levergun..... You looking to sell it anytime soon?

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks but I'm afraid she's a keeper. Ya'll will probably have to deal with my estate on this one, lol.
    I really like that ladder sight, shot it today with my 2400 plinker load and I shot almost as well as with peeps. I've used them before on other rifles but was really impressed with them. Not in any hurry to put a tang sight on this one. Degreased and relubed the action and mined the copper out of the bore overnight. Cleaned up very well and action is slick and very tight, no slop at all. Bore is very shiny and all the rifling is very well defined. Wood is a little too shiny, I think some Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen and Conditioner will help with that.
    Yes, this is the one I've been looking for.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I need to quit buying every nice rifle I see.

Why?

At least it's a cartridge I already have moulds, dies and brass for.
    Why should not having moulds, dies and brass stop a guy?
    That is one fine looking 94. My brother just picked one up in the 32 Special. He has really enjoyed it. The old ones are as smooth as glass.
    Nice find, Good decision.
    Last edited by helice; 08-05-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: cam't spel

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, I really do need to quit doing this but this one was a no-brainer. I truly stumbled across a treasure this time. Mould, die, and brass expense is a very real issue for me, could be why I took so long to find the Savage I wanted. I'm glad your brother scored a 32 WS as well, helice. Hope it's a nice one as well. I've handled dozens of 94's lately and there is indeed something about the older Winchesters. My post-64's are nice enough and most are actually quite good but I think there's a difference in the pre-war vintage rifles. I never really found a post-war pre-64 that I liked as well as most of the pre-war rifles. I know the Colt collectors feel that way, not sure how the Winchester collectors feel about that. I really haven't handled enough vintage Winchesters to have an informed opinion but the two that have followed me home are remarkably smooth with almost no slop.
    New NOE mould should be here tomorow.

Boolit Mold
    My great grandfather's pre-64 Winchester 94 was recently handed down to me. I've not handled any other 94s than this one, but to me the action seems a bit rough. Is there any special maintenance or lube that should be used on these lever guns to keep the action smooth?

Boolit Grand Master

I'd start with a good cleaning, for me and my 94's this generally means a first attempt with a good aerosol and a little oil on the moving parts. If that doesn't help a detail cleaning is the next step.

Boolit Mold
    I've wiped as much of the mechanism as I can reach with a patch when I clean the gun, but I've never tried an aerosol, nor tried to disassemble any of it for a detailed cleaning. Thanks for the advice. I'd like to improve the smoothness of the lever action of that gun.

Boolit Grand Master

Hopefully it's just dry or gummed up with old oil and dirt. Before tackling detail stripping make sure you have the correct screwdrivers and do a bit of reading on the subject.

Boolit Mold
    Very NICE !!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks!
    NOE 322-180 showed up recently and waits patiently on my bench to join the party.

Name:	photo (15).JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	113289