Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I need to kill soon!

Banned

I need to kill soon!

Just used the last pack of venison burger in the freezer. Last years crop damage shooting was a bit slow. I usually have left over and give it to my dad to finish up. If youve ever lived on venison burger for the year and had to switch to beef store bought burger youd know how crappy it really tastes. Hopefully in the next couple weeks the dnr opens up the crop damage permits so we can get started!!!

Banned

In almost the same boat here, but I think I'll make it through til muzzle loader season next month.

Moderator Emeritus

Deer population is down here, no extra permits anywhere in the state of Minnesota from what I heard.

Banned
    You can pick them off by the dozens off my deck. Wait! It isn't legal. It sure would be fun.

Boolit Master
    We have the early doe season in MI, sep. 20-21.

Boolit Bub
    I have more than enough to make it through to next season which is only a couple months away.

Moderator Emeritus

Sympathy because I have been there but still chewing on Elk.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

We eat several deer per year but I've never noticed that ground beef tasted bad. I like beef.

In Remembrance

We got the last package of venison from the freezer this week. Fortuantly a friend brought a good supply of beef recently. The prices I see at the market make me cringe.

Moderator Emeritus

I buy beef by the quarter, $3 pound cut wrapped and delivered to my front door. Grass fed until the last 6 weeks then a mix of their own grains and grass. I can't eat mass market beef anymore.

Banned

Mary thats what im refering to. Store bought and packaged burger. After eating venison burger all year it seems to have almost a rancid taste to it. My wife even notices it. She was never a wild game eater till she met me but now is a convert. Dont get me wrong i love a good beef steak. Probably more then a venison steak if im honest but that burger sucks! I dont know if its the fat going rancid or its just that it sits so long before being sold. It isnt the beef fat taste because i add 10percent beef fat to my burger. I remember last year when i ran out my wife made spegetti and meat balls with store burger. One taste and i knew something was wrong and thats after simmering all day in sause. My wife noticed it too. I ate about half a plate and tossed the rest. It takes me about a month of eating it before my taste buds adjust to it and it tastes normal but it doesnt take one bite to ajust back to venison burger!!

Moderator Emeritus

I think it is all the chemicals and drugs used in store beef. That **** is stored in the fat...

Banned

very well could be what it is.

I haven't bought store hamburger meat in 15 years...... Well, I may have bought a pound or two at a time in those years. I don't eat much venison as I don't hunt much anymore like I used to. I have the land/ability to raise my own beef and take them to slaughter or I have several friends that do the same and I can buy off of them. If you ever have the chance to raise or buy beef and have it packaged the way "you" like it, take advantage..... JMHO

The Dove

You guys are killing me. one month to go still till I can get to GA lease to set up camp. good thing I still have meat left so that's a good thing.