MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rossi quality - A happy surprise

Rossi quality - A happy surprise

I picked up two 92's a week ago. One is a wedding present for a family member and her new hubbie that both shoot cowboy action events with me. The other I bought for a friend who is going to be paying me back when she gets back into town.

I'm doing the slicking up work on both. Spring kit and general de-burring and some slight modifications as required.

What I found when I opened these two up was fairly startling. Both had seem some amount of hand fitting and polishing already. Most of the little things I was going to do where already done. And some were done to a far greater degree than I would have thought to try.

Here's a list of what I found;

• The chambers were deeply relieved on the lower edge of the mouth to allow the cartridges to not jam up as they enter the chamber at an angle. I'd done this same sort of relieving on my own and one other gun but not as far in as these two.
    • The cartridge guides were polished neatly to let the casing rims slide more smoothly through the guides that lift the head of the cartridge up and into line with the chamber.
    • The extractor spring collar is chamfered so it doesn't catch on the transition on the shaft of the extractor. I'd come up with the idea for this on my own and the second rifle and here it is already done now instead of just simply cut faces on the collar.

Fit and finish inside for the parts was clean other than the heel on the bolt that rubs against the hammer when cocking the lever. That required some considerable stoning and some rubberized abrasive wheel work to shine those up. That was the ony downside.
    The exterior finish was smooth and workmanlike on the metal but not the nice glossy polish that I got on mine when I bought it some 5 years ago.

The wood fit just fine, not perfect but good enough. The downside is the cloudy and muddy looking finish on the wood. I've stripped away much of it with some paint stripper but I still had to sand the last of it which seemed to be resistant to the stripper. I've already put on the first coat of oil mixed with some stain so it stays neatly clear without becoming muddy again. It's the first time I've tried this and it won't be the last time I use this method. The colour came up nicely without being overpowering. And being a mix the pigment of the stain doesn't cover up the wood grain too much.

Mind you this isn't highly figured stuff. In fact it's got a downright boring look to the grain. But this oil and stain mixture at least is making the most of what is there instead of just covering it up with mud as they did at the factory.

I'll post pictures when I take them tomorrow of the wood both "just stripped" and looking dull and lifeless and the other stock that I stained earlier tonight. I think you'll agree that it looks better than the stock finish. But you'll also see that it's no Turkish walnut.

All in all I wasn't sure what to expect due to the reports I'd read from others. But other than the dull and very plain looking wood both of the rifles are built just fine and the quality of the machining is very good. Better than I expected in fact. Then add to this the detail polishing I found and these things are suddenly a real treat and an excellent value.

I'll post up pictures of the newly refinished stock and the muddy looking factory finish tomorrow when I can take the pictures outside so it shows the colours more naturally.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one when Jumbo Sports went under may have been Interarms it's in 44 mag and has been just a great rifle. Embarrasing to watch the wife way outshoot my Marlin Cowboy without so much as adjusting a sight load in both 240 g LSWC loaded to the mid to upper 44 spec.

Boolit Bub
    I've got both 38 spl/357 mag (16 inch round barrel blued) and 45 LC (20 inch round barrel stainless) Rossi 92s and am very happy with the performance of both right out of the box. I've disassembled both and cleaned them up, put stainless magazine followers in both and a skinner peep on the 38/357. And that's it. The 45 LC cartridge lifter was sticky before a thorough cleaning, very minor stoning of the right side, and a dab of grease on the detent ball, but now it's fine. Both shoot great, love cast boolits including semi-wadcutters with only minor leading after 100 rounds or so, and are as accurate as my old eyes will allow. Fit and finish are fine, these are shooters, not lookers. Shooting Lee 125 gr RFN 38 special in the 16 inch gun is just about as much fun as a body can stand. Who needs 22 rimfire (which we still can't get around here)

Here's the pictures I promised.

First up is the factory polishing that I found on the cartridge guides and chamber mouth;

Next is the shaping and polishing I did to the cocking ramp on the bolt. Actually this was an early picture. I went back at it and further smoothed this ramp. But I didn't get a picture of that stage. Sorry;

And finally the residue from the factory finish vs the coloured finishing oil I'm using. The stocks on the outside are the sanded and refinished stocks with a second coat of rubbed on and buffed off tinted boiled linseed oil. The stock in the middle is the residue of the stripped factory finish with some mineral spirits on it to simulate what I'd have if I just oiled the incomplete stripped off finish.
    And truth be told as dramatic as it looks in this picture in real life it's far more clear that sanding and a complete refinish is the way to go.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I am very happy with fit and finish and performance of Rossi 38/357 and 45LC 92 rifles. Tons of ammo thru them right out of the box with no problems, jams, or hang-ups.

Would and have recommended them to others. They are happy too!

bangerjim

No need to us stripper on Rossi 92,it will scrub off with warm water and a little rubbing.
    I did my Rossi 38/357 and used tru oil for a finish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407017344.782217.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	112365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407017362.904562.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	112366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407017375.286946.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	112367

Here are the results

The stuff I saw on the one I did a couple of years ago I'd agree with the warm water. But they are using something new now. It not only resisted the stripper but also the warm water and scrubbing I used for rinsing the stripper away.

I'm working on a Win 94 as well. The same stripper lifted the Winchester 70's vintage clear varnish lickety split. It was lifting off the shoulder stock while I was coating the fore end. But the new Rossi coating was hardly touched after a good 20 minutes. I suspect it's one of the fancy new two part catalyzed finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    The stuff I saw on the one I did a couple of years ago I'd agree with the warm water. But they are using something new now. It not only resisted the stripper but also the warm water and scrubbing I used for rinsing the stripper away.

I'm working on a Win 94 as well. The same stripper lifted the Winchester 70's vintage clear varnish lickety split. It was lifting off the shoulder stock while I was coating the fore end. But the new Rossi coating was hardly touched after a good 20 minutes. I suspect it's one of the fancy new two part catalyzed finishes.
    The Rossi that i refininshed i had just bought new 2 months ago, but maybe it was a older manufacture that was hanging in the LGS for awhile. Good to know about the new finish they are using as i want to buy a 45 colt Rossi in the near future.
    I did not have any difficulty putting the forearm back on as others have had with the band screw.
    I did put Steves peep on it and it works very well, although it has to be adjusted when switching between 38 and 357 ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice work, BCRider. Looking forward to the finished product. What cartridge are these carbines chambered for?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Both are for .357Mag. Which suits what each of the new owners like to shoot or will be shooting in the case of the newly weds that both enjoy shooting cowboy action.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Rossi .454 Casull fro a guy in Arizona a couple of years ago - he needed the cash and I wanted the rifle. It was stiff and cranky at first, but the more I shot it the smoother it got. It seems he had not shot it - and I was shooting .45 Colt in it. I refinished the stock with TruOil and that made it look better and less prone to showing bumps. I installed a tang sight, the Gunslinger spring kit and now it's a pretty slick little rifle. I shoot it in Lever Action Silhouette and will take it Hog Hunting if I get the chance.

It really is a nice rifle - much smoother than my much more expensive Winchester 30-30.

Nice wedding present!

M
    Last edited by snaketail; 08-04-2014 at 10:16 AM.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    It interests me that your 2 Rossi rifles are on their way to other shooters. I purchased a Stainless 92 clone in 45 Colt back in the early 90s. Four years ago I loaned it to a friend from my church. Funny thing - I haven't seen it since. These are fun rifles and the fun is very contagious. I have 2 M-92s in .357 Mag also. These rifles, in the hands of young shooters, can go thru a lot of ammo in a very short time. I have discovered that the m-92 is a good reason to get a progressive press or a Lee turret.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by helice View Post
    It interests me that your 2 Rossi rifles are on their way to other shooters. I purchased a Stainless 92 clone in 45 Colt back in the early 90s. Four years ago I loaned it to a friend from my church. Funny thing - I haven't seen it since. These are fun rifles and the fun is very contagious. I have 2 M-92s in .357 Mag also. These rifles, in the hands of young shooters, can go thru a lot of ammo in a very short time. I have discovered that the m-92 is a good reason to get a progressive press or a Lee turret.
    Better check your church "buddy"!!!!!! That is why I do NOT loan ANY tools or guns to anyone.......even my minister!!!!!!!!

bangerjim

TRUST ME that these are only going away because I've already got my own.... And yes, even if mine were not my cowboy action rifle it would still have an honorable and frequently used place in my collection.

The one that was paid for by the lady in my club I'm doing the work on as a way to say "Thanks" for all the work she's put into making my club's IDPA chapter successful. And the other is going to the girl and her new hubby since I've been around since she was about 2 years old so much that in the "Family" I'm known as "Papa B" instead of "Uncle B". And since I've got no kids of my own to dote over she and her new hubby are getting spoiled.

They are all done. Much of the time was taken up with the oil finish. Fortunately it's hot and sunny so I could REALLY speed up the curing of the boiled linseed by sunning the parts. With this I was able to do a coat a day.
    I tried something new this time. I mixed the BLO with some Minwax Gunstock colour stain. This created a colouring of the wood without the usual muddy look that I normally find I get with pigmented stains. The effect built up over the first three coats to a lovely looking colour.
    And it's head and shoulders better than the pinkish grey washed out muck that was on the wood to start with. The dulled down photo in the post a few up shows you the difference.
    So here's the two toys;

And a close up of the wood grain in the stocks which we can actually SEE now.

And finally a little close up of the fore stock noses that I modified from the original blunt shape that came out of the box. Which one do you like the best?

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice, satin finish looks right at home on these rifles. Hard to say on the modified fore end. I like the original look but always feel the very end is a bit fragile, the rounded fore end gives it a nice "custom" look and could hold up to hard use a bit better.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

With that much of a chanfer on the camber do you get a bulged case like that on a Glock ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by facetious View Post
    With that much of a chanfer on the camber do you get a bulged case like that on a Glock ?
    I never have with my 44 mag, even with hot loads.

Boolit Master
    Looking good. I'm sure both recipients will enjoy their rifles.