Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Accurate #9 Powder

Boolit Mold

Accurate #9 Powder

I have used 2400 for yrs. for my military cast bullet loads (the universal load of 16-17 grs.). However, I have not seen 2400 for sale around here for 2 yrs. now. I do have Accurate #9 that I have used in M1 carbine cast bullet loads.

My question is about substituting Accurate #9 for 2400. The burn rate charts show them to be about the same but I have seen NO load data anywhere using #9 for military rifle reduced loads.

Has anybody used Accurate #9 as a equivalent substitute for 2400 in military cast bullet loading(i.e. .30-06, .303, 7.62x54R, 7.7 Japanese, 7.63 Argy, 7.62x51)?

It doesn't work all that great for that application. It's a lot harder to ignite than 2400 and doesn't burn properly at low pressure. I don't like it in cases much bigger than 7.62X39, and even then it likes fillers to burn right. Sure works good in magnum handgun ammo and the 30 carbine though.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Some are using AA1680 for this application.

Boolit Master
    Have you checked the Accurate Loading data?

I use AA#9 at between 24,000 and 29,000 (QL estimates) in my 33 ELCO Max and it gives very low ES, like 10 fps in that range. It is also very clean burning. It's been used in 32/40 for 20 years at pressures in the 16 - 18,000 range, sucessfully.

Frank
    Last edited by frnkeore; 08-02-2014 at 02:12 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. I figured that someone had tried #9. I guess the poor performance of the powder in large capacity cases is the reason I have never seen any load data using the stuff. I did check Accurate load data and there was no data listed for the old mil. cartridges. Since I cannot get 2400 around this part of the world, I will just have to keep using Trail Boss. Unique is another powder that is nonexistent around here.