Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welding Pipe Fences for Horse Corrals Questioner

Moderator Emeritus

Duke, I went to junior college and learned how to weld.... continuing education....I use stick over the other two.....plus if you learn stick welding use a DC welding only unit....you will get deeper penetration and better flow of the molten puddle....I owned a wire welder and sold it.....as a matter of fact I was welding today for a blocker pole for my creep feeder for our calves....hope this helps....

As you learn I bought some heavy steel jigs for the various pipe I use. These jigs allow you to cut saddles and various angle cuts that are useful in welding. They simply clamp to the pipe and you take your torch and make the cut following the angle on the jig or you can take a soap stone and trace it out from the jig to the pipe and then cut it out....hope this helps....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

I vote for the 1/8" 6010 rod (DC Welder rod)....good penetration.

2-3/8 and 2-7/8" pipe is my usual weld....very strong and runs from 78 cents to 1.30/linear foot and the standard oil well pipe is 32' joint
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I tried using pipe for the posts and the rails. The problem I was having was the horses soon found out they could lean on the rails to reach farther out to get a fresher grass. It didn't take long for the welds to break at the rail/post joint. It became a real PITA. re-welding all the time. Don't have horses any more.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

In Remembrance

If using sucker rod on pipe I would run it through holes in the pipe, then weld it, or use straps to attach it. If you keep your ground close to the area welded you will have less problem with the magnetic splatter. I used 6011 for most of my pipe construction.

Boolit Master
    Wrap ground cable 5 - 6 times. Stick weld w/portable. Drain holes on bottom of pipes... Do not weld them solid, leave ' em weep. Cope patterns made of metal sold at your local welding supply store are very handy as stated. Lots of rust will be air borne, use a respirator..!

Boolit Buddy
    I also would recommend the stick welder. We have built lots of gates with oil field surplus over the years. As others said, old oil and rust makes the mig a poor choice while a cheap arc welder will work fine.

Boolit Master

Welded quite a bit of drill rod for cattle corrals in my youth. Always used stick (DC) and an old Lincoln gasoline powered "Pipeliner" trailer mounted welder, because that is what we had on the ranch. I've tried MIG before on a home project, but quickly discovered that the splatter was more trouble to clean up than chipping slag from stick welding. I consider MIG for appropriate for welding very thin materials (at least for me). If it gets thinner than 16-gauge, I tend to burn through too many times when I'm stick welding.

Cattle corrals tend to be subject to more abuse than horse corrals. We had a large (2200 lb or so) bull decide one day to CLIMB over the fence to get to a heifer that was "coming in". The drill rod was bent at an angle where he climbed, but my welds held. Never had a horse do anything that crazy. Did have one (gelding) that was so stupid that he ran THROUGH a barbed wire fence when he saw the female was being ridden across another pasture. He *could* have just gone through the open gate about 20 ft to the left, but he didn't.

In Remembrance
    Check the triggers and make sure they are comfortable on the harbor freight grinders. I bought several of them a few years ago, so I could keep them in the service trucks and shop and not have to change wheels everytime I needed a different wheel. The best thing I could say about them was because they were cheap, it didn't hurt much to give them to someone that didn't have much use for a grinder, or to just plain throw them away.
    This has been several years ago, maybe they have found a better chinaman to build them now.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    New tube is as cheap as scrap cr#p. Thinner but will take paint and last longer. Hire a welder with a portable run 6010 5P+ downhill 2 passes, you fit for him. cheaper in long run

Pipe welding is my trade

I can't ever get anyone to show up. Also at the rate they charge you would think they have three kids in Harvard.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    I can't ever get anyone to show up. Also at the rate they charge you would think they have three kids in Harvard.
    Welders are pretty fair from my experience. At least as compared to air-conditioning guys. For some reason, *they* think that they can charge more for the installation of a systems just because the system costs you more. It takes just as much effort on their part to install a low cost 2-ton low SEER unit as a high cost 5-ton high SEER unit, but they have the nerve to charge significantly higher. With welders, they charge by the hour. If you live on a farm / ranch, learning how to weld is a good thing to know. Or becoming good friends with someone who knows how to weld and who will work for beer.

Ok, slight thread hijack imminent,,,,
    So is the magnetizing of the drill rod a product of the use in the earth during drilling, or a product of the manufacturing process? My guess is during the drilling, but the deepest hole I have drilled is for fence posts for cows and horses. So I hardly qualify as an oil well driller.
    Inquiring minds want to know....

Banned
    In the old days I used quite a bit of pipe fencing/corrals but I'm not a welder so bought it, usually used, due to cost.

Sometimes it was economical but with it bending & getting messed up, I usually went with wood with hot wire.

Hopefully with the small amount of talent I posses I should be able to cobble these together.
    Thanks for all the help guys

On Heaven's Range

I'm reminded of "the definition of a good welder", which I heard somewhere or other.
    Having known a lot of welders over my fifty-odd years in mining, I now offer it to y'all:

"A GOOD welder is one who can weld a banana peel to a 2x4."

My imagination isn't up to visualizing that....
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Mold
    Hopefully with the small amount of talent I posses I should be able to cobble these together.
    Thanks for all the help guys
    Talent? Can you sing and dance?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I'm reminded of "the definition of a good welder", which I heard somewhere or other.
    Having known a lot of welders over my fifty-odd years in mining, I now offer it to y'all:

"A GOOD welder is one who can weld a banana peel to a 2x4."

My imagination isn't up to visualizing that....

To that I will add "in a sandstorm in Wyoming"
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

What is the best low cost welder for small home repairs? Nothing thick, 1/8" max probably. I know flux core wire is pretty easy, I have used it but I am not fond of the splatter from the flux. I am a welding beginner, I have done it a few times with flux and regular wire feed is it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    What is the best low cost welder for small home repairs? Nothing thick, 1/8" max probably. I know flux core wire is pretty easy, I have used it but I am not fond of the splatter from the flux. I am a welding beginner, I have done it a few times with flux and regular wire feed is it.
    I learned welding back in high school on a Lincoln AC-225. They survived the abuse of many students and never needed any repair. A few years ago, I stumbled across one of them on Craigslist for around $100 and bought it. Sure the version that also does DC would be nice, but I've more than paid for this welder with over 250 ft of metal picket fence that I built along my backyard. The only thing I've bought for it was a new ground clamp and a roll of ROMEX and some plugs to make a REALLY LONG 220V extension cord. My generator cannot provide enough power to run it for a prolonged bead at the amperage that I needed, so I had to go the long extension cord route. For anything thinner than 16-gauge steel, I will probably burn through it. For 16-gauge, I seldom burn through and for 14-gauge and thicker, I don't burn through. If you are skilled, I suspect that you could weld even thinner materials. I'm just relaying *my* welding ability.

I did not have good luck with the flux core wire feed welders either. The splatter was more of a pain to remove than the slag from stick welding, so I don't do the wire feed anymore. I *hear* that if you use gas shielded instead of flux core wire, it's a lot better, but I have no firsthand knowledge on this.

If the welding you are going to be doing is either only in your shop or you are willing to create an extension cord long enough to get from your 220V outlet to the work area, then the old Lincoln "Tombstone" (AC-225) welders are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Barbie View Post
    Talent? Can you sing and dance?
    How did you find me here?

Boolit Grand Master

How did you find me here?

Never try to hide from a determined woman.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast