Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does goat taste like just curios

What does goat taste like just curios

wild of domestic? about like Llama

Australia feral goat is excellent eating if you get a nanny or kid, just treat it like lamb.
    Cook long and slow in a casserole or curry, I have had less success with roasting legs of it like lamb.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Probably rather salty... As in "old salt"...

Boolit Buddy
    It depends on what you feed them. Feed them tin can and weeds it will taste like tin cans and weeds, Good corn, wheat, milo, good hay make for some fine tasting goat. its been 20yrs since I have eaten goat I thought it was good.

Boolit Buddy
    my experience is that goat tastes somewhat like they smell.

Boolit Master

Only ate goat one time,Bar-B-Q'ed, with lot's of beer,I don't remember it being bad.Of course chicken comes to mind.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Banned
    Tastes like .........
    Last edited by fishhawk; 08-01-2014 at 07:10 AM.

Like sheep. My father in law raises them and I could not tell the difference once barbecued. I have been told that the gyro places often are serving goat, but I have no proof of that.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

I will have to agree with B R Shooter. I don't care for it or lamb.

Banned

I think lamb is excellent but you can have goat. We shot two at the buddys game farm. Usually nobody eats them but my dad will eat anything so i butchered the smaller one for him. Even he tossed it out. Said it stunk the whole house up like pee when he cooked it.

Have not had it but if like lamb as others have said, look up "Adobo Rub" on the Food Channel or similar. It is basically equal parts of White Vinegar, Garlic, Oregano, Black Pepper, Salt and Olive oil,
    Marinate for 2-3 days in the fridge, insert slices of fresh garlic clove all over in it
    Slow roast with Mesquite
    A Spanish Rioja or most any Portuguese Red Wine to wash it down.

Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master
    We have a friend who raises goats for milk and meat. She's told me it tastes like venison. She did not tell me how she cooks it.

Boolit Master

Tastes like antelope.

Don't anyone say it tastes like chicken.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

In my experience goat is similar to lamb in that it has a quasi-beefy flavor with a distinct note. It can be tough, like any other large muscled animal, so from whence it came is important. Billys are musky strong and to me not too palatable.
    I've eaten gabrito in Mexico and found it to be excellent. It is essentially barbecued goat meat that has been marinated in a myriad of stuff. Most of what I had down there was young goats, under a year old.
    Goats are pretty easy to raise. Billys are a royal pain in the posterior as they tend to have some attitude and to be frank, they stink. A lot. I mean they reak.
    Though I am not a fan of the milk straight, goat cheese is one of the things in life to treasure.
    We always kept a couple around my grandfather's farm for company to the horses and general amusement. Baby goats are actually a lot of fun and cute as a button.
    But yeah, prepped correctly, they can be quite tasty.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    We had a bloke in my old pistol club that had Italian heritage. For the Christmas Party he used to go out and head shoot a couple of kids (young goats, I should point out, I am told that the other type of kid tastes dodgy), then slow cooked them on a spit in a home made Webber BBQ (made it out of a Washing Machine, used the motor to spin the goats over a gas flames). One year he cooked them with stuffing, one was apple and cinnamon and the other apricot and almond. They were the best game meats I have ever eaten. My mouth is watering just thinking about those two goats, and that was about 15 years ago.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Goat meat tastes nearly like lamb hogget or mutton.(all sheep) Depends what feed its had. Best cooked long and low..Always cook sheep and goat meats 330 or under. The older goats can be a bit tougher but the kids are so tender and tasty its a treat. Great roasted or curried.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master
    the only time I had goat was in africa and it was that tough and rare the blood was dripping off my fingers from holding it and trying to chew it. I am going to find out because the doc wants me on a lean meat so we are going to raise the males from my daughters milk goats.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Makes great chili.

Hard to beat a bowl of goat...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

In my experience, with store bought (which is not easy to find if you aren't brave enough to go into dodgy ethnic markets), it's a large muscle fiber meat and can be very tough to chew if not cooked correctly. I recommend following the above recommendations about low and slow cooking, and a marinade or spicy base works well too.
    I have a recipe for curried goat that I like to make about once a year. Cook it for 2.5 hours on low heat and serve over rice. I love it. I like toothsome meats, but not tough meat, so the secret with goat is get 'em young, female preferred, and cook low and slow with good spices.

If you can get very young male that's OK too, so long as he hasn't started to stink. I would not eat a Billy if you paid me.

Bulldogger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast