Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could you make a costly mistake ? ?

Boolit Grand Master

I use my handy-dandy Brother label maker to ID all my containers. I have my one pounders in a bottom drawer so I'm lookin' at the tops. Only one container comes out of the drawer at a time, so I don't have any problems mixing caps...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Good OP, Thanks for the ideas.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    I do the same with my powder containers, except I use a label maker to mark my containers. I find the labels easier to read than my hand written scrawl. Can add other things too like time purchased, and date opened, favorite use, etc.

I learned to be more careful about keeping only 1 powder on the bench at a time, after a potential powder mix up while I was changing bushings on my MEC shotgun loader. I caught myself after pouring a few 12 gauge shells full of Red Dot, on top of Unique in the clear dispenser bottle by mistake. The experience really shook me up. I only threw out a small amount of powder, but it still bothered me.

Guess this is the sort of thing that happens as you get older. I never worried about things like this when I was young man. I take steps to make it more difficult to make these kinds of mistakes now.

- Bullwolf

I try not to have more then 1 powder in the work area at one time.

Boolit Master
    I mark mine on top with a silver Sharpie. Also indicate the bottle that is 'open' if more than one of a type. Also, I always keep the bottle in use, on the bench, NO others.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Grand Master
    Makes you wonder why the powder company can't afford a few pennies more in production cost and put an ID lable on the top of the container also ?

Good idea Ben, thanks for passing it along sir.
    This falls under the catagory of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, WELL worth a pound of cure.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    I mark mine on top with a silver Sharpie. Also indicate the bottle that is 'open' if more than one of a type. Also, I always keep the bottle in use, on the bench, NO others.
    I like that idea, I'll be doing the same to mine.

Thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Master

I use the silver Sharpie too.

I also use hang tags. I stuff one end of the string under the powder measure cap so the tag dangles outside the measure.

I will often have a press set up for rifle and another for pistol and be using both during the week. Thus I will usually have two different powders on the bench at the same time. So I take real care not to mix and never have. Not even come close really.

What I have done is spill. I'm fairly good at knocking things over. I once knocked over a 2400 container. Probably close to two pounds of powder on the floor.

Since then any time the top is off a powder can I'm really, really careful with it.

You know Ben, I bet the pic in your first post made some of our members cry.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Bringing tears wasn't my plan, saving someone their hard earned money or eye sight or even their life....Yes, that was my plan.

Good shooting Cat,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Personally, I don't bother with it. I just keep all of my powder on a shelf on the other side of the room and only have one type of powder on my reloading bench.
    Ditto!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Yes, WELL worth a pound of cure.

Ben
    In this case eight pounds!

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Grand Master

Ben,

Good point.

I keep a yellow grease pencil on the bench, write the powder name on
    the lid and top of jug. I also write the powder measure setting, powder type
    and date on all powder measures when I set them up. Rubs off if you
    want to, but not by accident.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 08-02-2014 at 01:07 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Anything we can do to aid in safety and convenience is good
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    Ben, I have a "system" to prevent such a disaster, but I may incorporate part of your idea along with mine. I like the idea and you just can't be "too safe" with powder, either from a literal safety standpoint or from the cost perspective. The lids on my containers are small but there is a shoulder on which I can write. I keep my powder in NEW one-quart oil bottles.

I only keep ONE POWDER on the bench at any one time and no more than a pound, period. That may not work for everyone.

That one powder's container sits on the bench while I am working with it so I know what I have in the hopper and where what's left in the hopper when I'm done goes.

I buy 8# jugs, but I also transfer it into smaller containers for actual use. I may not split the whole jug up or I may, it depends, but I use out of a container of no more than one pound at any given time. Sometimes, I split an order with someone and I have to divy up the powder anyway, so I keep containers for that purpose. At that time, it is even more important to keep only one type out so as not to mix any in big batches. In any event, the most powder I stand a chance at screwing up would be one pound, which would make me cry but messing up EIGHT pounds would likely make me consider filing for bankruptcy.

Some may disapprove of transferring powder to other containers, but I do NOT reuse powder containers and I DO mark the new containers with all the information I can get on the bottle with a Sharpie; Manufacturer, Brand, Lot Number, Date of Purchase/Price, etc.

These are the bottles I use:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...3674&catid=805

They are made of the same stuff as the powder containers used by the powder companies and you can write all over the white ones. They are pretty inexpensive and you never have to fight to get the lat little bit out like the old, ornery steel cans and cylindrical cardboard containers. The little vertical plastic "sight-glass" on the short side is very useful as well and I store it all in a dark place so there is no concern of light degrading powder - if that's even a problem. The small opening is great for pouring into a hopper and a plastic funnel lets me get it quickly back from the hopper into the bottle. I don't care for the wide-mouth openings on what the powder comes in. It's not big enough to not have to use a funnel when returning powder to the bottle and sometimes it spills out the sides when charging the hopper. Maybe I am just uncoordinated but I don't like powder spills - even little ones.

Boolit Grand Master
    Jeff H,

I don't see any problems at all in what you're doing.
    Stay safe, and good shooting to you,

Ben

Boolit Man
    Ive been using the matching tag system. There is always a paper slip in the powder measure or in the dipper pot. The slip usually has the current load written on it. When the powder is returned to the container the powder info on the slip and the bottle, jug etc are matched. Every time. I keep an old bottle of "hybrid" 2520/4895 around to remind me how stupid I have the potential to be and have been in the past.

Boolit Grand Master
    We have all made foolish mistakes.

Hopefully we can help and support each other on safety issues here on the forum and keep our mistakes to a minimal, bare bones, low number.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rogn View Post
    Ive been using the matching tag system. There is always a paper slip in the powder measure or in the dipper pot. The slip usually has the current load written on it. When the powder is returned to the container the powder info on the slip and the bottle, jug etc are matched. Every time. I keep an old bottle of "hybrid" 2520/4895 around to remind me how stupid I have the potential to be and have been in the past.
    Personally, I would just mix that up very well and take it as a challenge to develop a new load for the new powder blend. Of course, MY luck would be that I had accidentally discovered the PERFECT powder and I could never duplicate it again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast