Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken tooth eating my gun fund

In Remembrance

Broken tooth eating my gun fund

I have been saving and planning to buy a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 all this year. Sunday night I was eating at the Rib Crib and my front tooth felt weird. A quick check with my tongue revealed a gap that hadn't been there in about 63 years(assuming I had my permanent tooth there by age six. I was figuring a crown would be $1000. Yesterday the dentist said I had to have a root canal and a build up of the broken portion at another $1000. It's going to be a while longer for the Ruger. I have lots of brass, moulds, dies, and loaded ammo, just need the pistol.

Boolit Buddy

I can relate to that. Had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago. Sold 2 rifles that were safe queens to help offset the cost. I needed the tooth more than the rifles.

Centex Bill

Just went thru the same thing. Money I was saving for a Savage 99 gone!!

Boolit Grand Master

Sad story, but a tooth is pretty darned important.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Infected teeth are nothing to fool around with. That said if you have a dental school near you, it can save you a lot of money but it takes more time as your used for a human training aid.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Moderator Emeritus

I have skipped root canals. Yank them out I know I need dentures soon anyway.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Pull it, and get a partial.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Dentistry is a racket. No end to the interesting things a dentist can do to a tooth. Then he pulls it out and doesn't even hand it to you. $2000 into the tooth (that's probly nothing nowadays), and sorry sam. No end to how high the prices are going. The older you get the more it costs because there is less tooth to work with. Yup, just look at a 5 or 6 crown bridge ($10,000). And then ask yourself what happens when you lose one of the remaining teeth holding it all down. Those false teeth which attach to posts screwed into the jaws sound interesting and cost MUCH less.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Sorry Gents, I would go with the blackhawk. Put the tooth off until later or maybe sell the wife's car. But definitely would go with the blackhawk. I spent $3200 on two root canals that broke in less than 90 days. My vote definitely Black hawk.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    Dentistry is a racket. Those false teeth which attach to posts screwed into the jaws sound interesting and cost MUCH less.
    Not around here. Last year I had a root break on a molar that had previously had a gold crown fit to it - that surgical repair was a grand and the dentist advised it would last a long time as the two teeth next to it added excellent support. Ya right, lasted 4 months and the other root broke - I demanded and got the tooth pulled with no bill for the pulling and asked for the gold crown, which I got - don't know what I'll do with it but no way was I going to walk away from it and allow the dentist to melt it down and make another expensive crown to sell to someone else.

The post and crown was quoted at $6,750.00 to fill in the gap - Well, I still have the gap back there, as I'm not paying that price and I really don't want a bridge either.

Boolit Master

I had a crown come off 3 months ago. The dentist told me that a cavity had formed under the crown and now I need to have an extraction and an implant put in. They called me and told me my portion, after insurance would be $4000. I told them I was going to chew on it a while. LITERALLLY!
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Well the good thing is you have all the expensive stuff now all you need is the ruger!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Seeing the cost of dentistry in other areas, is really making me appreciate this area more!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I took the family out for ribs 2 weeks ago , that right there eats a gun fund in a hurry

I should have make them at home from our pig , problem is pigs just don't have enough ribs to do it very often , but no one minds when i shred a pork shoulder and make it in to BBQ

Boolit Master

I've driven down to Mexico before for dental work. It's a big business in many of the larger border towns. From what I understand though, the cities in the inner part of Mexico are even cheaper since they are not catering to the tourists. Locally, I would have to wait a few weeks for an appointment and then it would take a month or so before the crown was completed. Down in Mexico, the dental lab is in the same city and you can get everything done within a week at the most. Even with the hotel, it worked out a LOT cheaper than what I could get it done for locally. Besides, at my age, it's not like some 20 year old girl is going to say that I have such a nice smile that she is attracted to me.

Boolit Master

That Mexico thing sounds like a really good idea. I could have some cabrito too, my mouth is watering already. I don't have any tooth problems right now.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master
    Extractions are cheap.
    It's a guarantee it'll never hurt again once the gum heals. If the wife wouldn't pitch a hissy fit, I'd have ALL mine pulled today....what's left of them.

Boolit Master

My wife did the root canal thing, 6 months later it had to be pulled anyway, now has to have a crown or implant. We're leaning to the implant , as the crown requires the 2 adjacent (good!) teeth to be ground for posts.

Boolit Master

I had an uncle that had all of his teeth removed and still had no problem eating corn on the cob and apples. Somehow, he manged to gum the food to death, I guess.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm having my forth implant tomorrow afternoon. It is the only way to go. Bridge work endangers the teeth it is attached to, has to be replaced in seven to ten years, and costs the same as an implant. The implant is permanent and becomes part of your jawbone. What's not to like but the cost? And with my diverticulosis I really can't go without teeth very well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast