Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 000 buck packing q

Boolit Buddy

000 buck packing q

I want to make up some 12 G 000 buck training loads and some hunting loads (piggies) as well.

I took apart a Rem 3" mag 000 round and I noticed they used a wad with no petals and plastic buffer beads. They were stuffed in there as 5 rows with 2 in each row.

How would I pack a 2 3/4" hull? It seems like 6 would fit nicely ... would this be ok for "training?" or is this too light? What load with 000 do you recommend for hunting?

thanks

Bill boy

In Remembrance

Here is the formula to calculate the proper fit 3-stack in your choke/choke tube that James Gates shared many years ago:

"Where 'D' is the diameter of your choke/choke tube and 'd' is the diameter of the buckshot:
    d=Dx(.464016288)= the size 3-stack buckshot to fit your choke/choke tube......Ex. if your choke is .725", the proper 3-stack is size .3364118908 (no size, but close to #00)
    D=d divided by .464016288=.690"choke... .320" buckshot for a .690" choke/choke tube."
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Buddy
    8 X 000 buck is a standard 2.75" load, and since each pellet is .36, you need to stack in pairs (3 in a layer won't fit) without any wad petals. 3 layers of 2 would make a nice "tactical" 000 load, and a nice practice load. Each pellet runs about 70 grains (but weigh yours), so this is a 420 grain load---just shy of an ounce. I'd usually use a brush wad and stack on top, but you could use many different kids of standard wads with the petals cut off; that way, you won't need to buy anything new, and you can use common 1 oz load data.

Boolit Buddy
    FT thanks for your help!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FullTang View Post
    8 X 000 buck is a standard 2.75" load, and since each pellet is .36, you need to stack in pairs (3 in a layer won't fit) without any wad petals. 3 layers of 2 would make a nice "tactical" 000 load, and a nice practice load. .
    thats what i do.
    it is really easy as well as cheap
    i did weigh them to see where i was at beforehand

The "old timers" I used to hunt with that loaded their own goose loads swore by cornmeal filler to smooth out those big buckshot.

If your looking to add a bit more weight you could also fill some of those holes with dueces or BB's. Both would make a very good "Tactical" load.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    If your looking to add a bit more weight you could also fill some of those holes with dueces or BB's. Both would make a very good "Tactical" load.
    AKA "Malay loads." The British used them in shotguns in the insurgency in Malaya (Malaysia) in the 1940s- 50s, the shells were loaded with a combination of buckshot and smaller shot. The guerrillas had limited medical support and any torso-penetrating would would likely be fatal in the jungle.

The old 'buck and ball' load is one of the oldest smoothbore loads recorded, dating back to muzzle-loaders, and is still available from a couple of manufacturers in modern cartridge form.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    8 000 with a maximum load of powder will kill at unbelievable ranges. It is about as deadly a buckshot load as there is. You do need the right choke and the only way to find the right choke is to test them in the gun you will be using. You don't want cylinder. Improved modified to full should be about right, but you have to test them. It's been a few years since I loaded them but I know I used herco, at least 32 grains and maybe a little more. The results were impressive.