Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which rifle caliber to trim for Indiana deer hunting?

Boolit Bub
    I really like my 357 max with 180 grainers for deer in Indiana. Mostly 125 yard and usually less for shots. It's 2 for 2. Reaming was cheap and easy. I do like the 445 SM idea if you wanted to try to work with your 44? I've actually seen the 445 SM brass available over the past week. And to all the folks scratching their heads.......yes you can also use shotguns w slugs or muzzle loaders. Or rifles in pistol cartridges........Or, are you ready for this.......pistols in RIFLE cartridges, like contenders, savages, lone eagles, etc, loaded w .243 or larger projectiles. Confused? We are too!

Vendor Sponsor

.375 Winchester case is 2.020" according to SAAMI, could you not shorten the case by .040" and have a workable cartridge?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    .375 Winchester case is 2.020" according to SAAMI, could you not shorten the case by .040" and have a workable cartridge?
    2.020" - 1.800" = .220"

For the lightest recoil (compared to the 444 and 45/70) and flattest trajectory I would look towards the .357 Herett, 35 Rem short, 356 Winchester short, 358 Hoosier, 358 Win. short or the 358 WSSM with the 358 Winchester shortened being the best brass availability, lowest cost and easiest for case prep.

Lowest cost rifles

http://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=742

http://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=746

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/produ...ductid=1036386

kind of a rat but it is in stock
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=428181759
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-31-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Oops... LOL
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Have I missed something? What is the reason for this law or restriction? It makes no sense to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post
    Have I missed something? What is the reason for this law or restriction? It makes no sense to me.
    In their infinite wisdom they thought it would limit the effective range. It's completely stupid IMO. Same w/ shotgun only. The modern sabots can reach out pretty far and pack a lot of energy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    In their infinite wisdom they thought it would limit the effective range. It's completely stupid IMO. Same w/ shotgun only. The modern sabots can reach out pretty far and pack a lot of energy.

Well that's stupid. The .243 WSSM would technically be legal. What's the effective range of that thing? A long dang way that's for sure.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Well that's stupid. The .243 WSSM would technically be legal. What's the effective range of that thing? A long dang way that's for sure.
    The .243 WSSM IS technically legal in a HANDGUN but not a rifle. The rules for rifles give a minimum caliber of .357 and min and max case length of 1.16"-1.8". This allows the shortened 35 Rem and 358 Win in addition to the wildcat 358 WSSM which is a 25 WSSM necked up. In a handgun the case length restrictions is only a minimum of 1.16" and the minimum caliber is .243 and 4" barrel which allows basically any contender chambered in a rifle cartridge of .243 caliber or larger, including .243 Win, .308, 30-30, 35 Rem, the list goes on. You could technically build an AR-10 pistol in .308 if you wanted. I actually built a 300 AAC Blackout AR15 Pistol for this reason, along with the fact that I can put a <16" barrel on it without an SBR tax stamp.

Unfortunately, the OP is too young to carry a handgun by himself. However, if he was hunting with an adult, he could use one.

Boolit Master
    Well heck. How about the good ole .50-70 Govt? If you gotta follow those rules might as well make a statement.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master

No one would miss that statement

Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    The .243 WSSM IS technically legal in a HANDGUN but not a rifle. The rules for rifles give a minimum caliber of .357 and min and max case length of 1.16"-1.8". This allows the shortened 35 Rem and 358 Win in addition to the wildcat 358 WSSM which is a 25 WSSM necked up. In a handgun the case length restrictions is only a minimum of 1.16" and the minimum caliber is .243 and 4" barrel which allows basically any contender chambered in a rifle cartridge of .243 caliber or larger, including .243 Win, .308, 30-30, 35 Rem, the list goes on. You could technically build an AR-10 pistol in .308 if you wanted. I actually built a 300 AAC Blackout AR15 Pistol for this reason, along with the fact that I can put a <16" barrel on it without an SBR tax stamp.

Unfortunately, the OP is too young to carry a handgun by himself. However, if he was hunting with an adult, he could use one.
    Technically as long as I had written permission from the landowner(I hunt private property only) I can carry a handgun, however my parents don't want me to have a handgun until I am legally old enough to get my carry permit, so I am limited to a long gun.

Boolit Master

i shoot a shorten 45-70 round. with a 300 grain hollow point you have a solid 150 yard gun. if you really know your rifle it will go to 200yards.i also shoot a 400grain cast boolit cast from 20.1 eather will flat put meat on the table.ill give you the load if you like.and as far as the dumb laws you can use a .410 shotgun with slugs. i did,nt make the law just saying.then on the other hand i have a 357max. loaded with a 180grain ssp its a solid 200 yard rifle.good luck

Hornady cases in 45/70 get pretty close to 1.8

Dave

Boolit Buddy

I'll throw my hat into the ring for the 357 Max. Between Contender and Encore, one could be legal in several scenarios between rifle and pistol length barrels.

Let us not understate the significance of the original post, and poster, though. Mr. indianadeerhunter2018 stated he is 14 years of age. I do not recall, but I don't believe that I was capable of the depth of his thought train, at age 14. Folks like him are our future!

Hats off to you, Mr. indianadeerhunter2018!!!!!
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rush1886 View Post
    ........., at age 14. Folks like him are our future!

Hats off to you, Mr. indianadeerhunter2018!!!!!

I have to second that.

He sets a good example for us all in many ways. I am glad the forum attracts such young people and I wish it attracted more.

Boolit Master
    458 socom for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by warboar_21 View Post
    458 socom for the win.
    They don't make a single shot in 458 socom and my budget is 300 bucks so I can't get an ar

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Put your 300 into reloading components and good sights. That 44 will take out any deer Indiana has that needs shooting, just as far as any other cartridge that fits the length limit in a rifle will.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Put your 300 into reloading components and good sights. That 44 will take out any deer Indiana has that needs shooting, just as far as any other cartridge that fits the length limit in a rifle will.
    now that is true. use what you have now save your bucks and get what you want/like when you find it

Boolit Master
    350 Rem Mag shortened will get you the 200 yds you want with plenty of punch left.