Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Position Sensitive Powders

Boolit Master

Position Sensitive Powders

I have seen a number of powders mentioned as being position sensitive. Has a list of position sensitive powders ever been assembled? If not, please chip-in the name of a powder that you feel is position sensitive. Thanks.

It's as much to do with the Vol. of powder to the case capacity , or "loading density" expressed as a %, that to say a certain powder ; ie Unique, 2400, RL-7,748, ect. is a position sensitive. And any low loading density load can be improved on by using a filler such as "Dacron" or a "shot buffer" like PSB, or simply by raising the muzzle before every shot.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master

thanks

Unique, 2400, RL-7,748, ect. is a position sensitive. And any low loading density load can be improved on by using a filler such as "Dacron" or a "shot buffer" like PSB, or simply by raising the muzzle before every shot.
    I agree with this one.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I disagree. I have never found unique, 2400, or any of the fast pistol or shotgun powders to be position sensitive or need filler in the least.

Position sensitive powders are usually reduced load medium to slow rifle powders. Eg: 30 gr of 4895 really requires a dacron (or similar) wad in 30-06 or you get great velocity variation.

Jonk is right, unique and 2400 are not position sensitive.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1johnlb View Post
    Jonk is right, unique and 2400 are not position sensitive.
    Disagree. Both powders certainly are in some cartridges with some bullet weights. All powders can be position sensitive when load density is small for the powder, especially if shooting at angles larger than 45 degrees. They also can be position sensitive if raised up from varying field carry positions to shoot; muzzle carried up one time and muzzle down the next, etc.

Larry Gibson

JUST GOING TO SCHOOL.

On Heaven's Range

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Disagree.

All powders can be position sensitive when load density is small for the powder

Larry Gibson
    I agree with Larry 100%.

I performed ACTUAL CHRONOGRAPHED TESTS in many different cartridges/calibers.

Direct comparisons between loads that were identical except for dacron/no dacron revealed that even the powders reputed to be NOT sensitive to position in the case WERE, in fact, position-sensitive to a degree.

WITH Dacron, the velocities were more-uniform and extreme spreads and standard deviation were both smaller.

Ergo, Larry is correct, according to my experiments.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, agree with Bruce and Larry. I always use a dac filler when I shoot 2400 in rifles from "the Load", upwards. Have never used a filler w/Unique, but when I use it in a rifle, I tip the rifle up before each shot.!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

One can never prove that a powder is always or never position sensitive because you can never try all possible combinations.

That said, I have chronographed 9.0 grains of Unique in the .30-30 with 150 grain cast and in the .38-55 with 265 grain bullet.
    Five shots each with the cartridge case pointed down and shaken, the cartridge case up and shaken and the cartridge case held level and shaken back and forth.
    There was no filler.

In both tests the difference in the average velocity between forward, center, and back positioned powder was less than the difference between individual rounds in each five shot string.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Interesting test results. I am under the impression that the 30-30 and smaller cases are be less sensitive to powder position. In doing these test, it would be interesting to note what primers are being used and what there power is. I use Federal primers because they are reputed to be quite good and are quite sensitive (soft cups or something) and they have the lowest power which apparently is good for accuracy (possibly because they move the bullet less before ignition gets going?) They also make reading relative pressure easy.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

" less sensitive"

But still sensitive.

With good load techniques and correct said powder percentages along with proper shooting techniques, position sensitivity can be made none existent or at least controlled on so called non position sensitive powders.

OP's question was which powders are position sensitive?
    All powders can be position sensitive
    Last edited by 1johnlb; 08-07-2014 at 03:08 AM.

But some more so than others. I suspect that some rifles will show no apparent sensitivity to a particular power due to compensating barrel harmonics. The sensitivity may then show up at longer ranges? Anyway, I always use a filler of powder positioner (Dacron). I also use Dacron when not needed as in near full case to stop powder spilling out should a boolit get pulled out on extracting an unfired round.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Interesting test results. I am under the impression that the 30-30 and smaller cases are be less sensitive to powder position. In doing these test, it would be interesting to note what primers are being used and what there power is. I use Federal primers because they are reputed to be quite good and are quite sensitive (soft cups or something) and they have the lowest power which apparently is good for accuracy (possibly because they move the bullet less before ignition gets going?) They also make reading relative pressure easy.

CCI large pistol #300.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master
    Figure that all powders are somewhat position sensitive and you'll save yourself some aggravation. After chronographing your own loads with powder forward and powder rearward, you can judge the relevance of the observed velocity variation.