Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Lube, Geargnasher's SL68 recipe

Moderator Emeritus

huh, too slow
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

Well, at least you loked up and posted the link! Thanks.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    No stirring as it gels?

Any particular reason why?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

If you stir it while it gels, it ruins that beautiful, smooth texture! You know pretty lube shoots better, right? It's not like TnT that needs to be stirred and quenched to keep it together.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Do you knead it after it cools? I find that makes most lubes feather better.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

No, it's done. Very much like "flubber". Dense, polished, smooth, and tight. Very sticky once you start messing with it, though. Slice it into strips and poke it in the sizer. It would make very nice hollow sticks if one made a mould for such. There is a good bit of shrinkage when it cools so it would pull out of the moulds nicely if frozen.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Dang it, now I gotta go and make some. Dude, you are killng me

Banned

Heheh. I'll Pm you another recipe to try. You, especially, will appreciate the way it turns out.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Great, I got lube to make and I have to work tomorrow. Oh well, the extra pay is nice.

Boolit Buddy
    So, how cold it it getting for you guys north of us here in the almost sub-tropics???

Please get us some frostpoint cold clean bore tests this weekend. Take one for the team, get up at 03:00!

Then repeat next week for the cold dirty bore test.

And in another month ya can get the testing down to 20° F or lower, right???

I'm enthused 'cause it sounds like this stuff passed the hot weather testing and don't do no stinkin' lube purge flyers. Right? Please tell me I'm right!

Boolit Grand Master
    Not near that cold yet. Wait for Jan or so.

Moderator Emeritus

Snow flurries in northern MN right now.
    and predicted spotty snow flurries in the Minneapolis area tomorrow.
    I am not prepared for any testing type of shooting at this point...sorry.
    And it's suppose to be as windy as all heck tomorrow as well.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grump View Post
    So, how cold it it getting for you guys north of us here in the almost sub-tropics???

Please get us some frostpoint cold clean bore tests this weekend. Take one for the team, get up at 03:00!

Then repeat next week for the cold dirty bore test.

And in another month ya can get the testing down to 20° F or lower, right???

I'm enthused 'cause it sounds like this stuff passed the hot weather testing and don't do no stinkin' lube purge flyers. Right? Please tell me I'm right!
    Grump, you've been clamoring for results from the rest of us for over a year. I'm beginning to think you don't own any guns

See post #7 for why I'm not spreading this too far and wide yet.

BTW, it was 96 here today, and REALLY humid. Supposed to get a "cool front" tonight, might get down to 80 tomorrow. The super-cold lube testing has always been handled by those kind members who live where real cold happens and people have the guts to see how stuck they can get their faces to their rifle stocks.

Gear

Banned

it was 33 and snowing here yesterday afternoon.
    I took the nephew for a ride up the canyon to look at some deer.

today it was ehh 58 the cold is creeping in slowly.
    I can feel the low pressure blowing by us in my hands, especially my right one.

Boolit Grand Master

Mid week it was 85, and Sundays low is predicted at 39. I'm having trouble wearing the right clothes. My bones rebel with what ever I have on.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    to see how stuck they can get their faces to their rifle stocks.

Gear
    Hey Ian!
    Y'all ain't talkin' about me when yah say this are yah??

27° yesterday morning.... Testing a new Accurate mold for the .32-20 bolt guns I designed. These molds for eons have TOO big (or many) lube grooves left over from back in the black powder days! No 'saturation' tests done.... 27° is too warm. Most of our good formulas handle a full saturation test at 15° to 20°... A couple may handle zero;..... but -10° and lower "Separate the men from the boys!"

Send me a half ounce of your SL-68. (I don't have any 90 or 140 to make it that isn't full of EP additives.) I'll test it at -15°..... maybe even colder.

If it can't handle it.... I'll sneak back up towards zero!

Good seein' you back Ian..... Been a little 'lean' here lately..

Eutectic

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    The super-cold lube testing has always been handled by those kind members who live where real cold happens and people have the guts to see how stuck they can get their faces to their rifle stocks.
    On the subject of forum awards like the Golden Boolit, have we discussed formal recognition for the guys like Eutectic who are set to venture forth in sub-zero temperatures risking the freezing of some very important anatomical features to test boolit lube? Maybe that's what McAuliffe meant at Bastogne when he said "NUTS!"

In all seriousness, going out to test either extreme of The Quest is a serious Taking One For The Team. It's one thing to go out and shoot in that **** - it's something else entirely to put on the figurative lab coat and conduct hard science in it. Respect is due here!

Incidentally, do you have any hypothetical names for whatever the final successful version turns out to be?

Odysseus Lube?
    Sauron Lube? (as in "One Lube to Rule Them All". Of course, then we may have to categorize the runner-up Three, Seven, and Nine lubes. Yes, I'm a nerd. . .)
    Or possibly just take the post count of the Quest thread at the point Gear and Major Players declare victory and call it "4,927 Post Lube"? (or whatever the number happens to be at the time)
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

Pete, will do, I'm going to send out a couple things to Bruce381 this week to try, I'll put you on the list too. I have no idea how this stuff will do below freezing, much less below zero, but it sure would be good to know, and would answer a lot of questions.

Gear

Banned

post 6895 lube has a ring to it.

Gear I'm glad you mentioned Bruce, I was gonna pm him and see if he seen this thread.
    I seen he was on the site today and it jogged my memory.

Anyone have a couple pounds of 180F Wax they want to sell? Don't really feel like buying 10lbs...
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast